[Book Spoilers] EP506 Discussion v. 2

It's very clear the Sansa scene was just done for shock value. You want Sansa to have a bigger presence this season and put her in the North storyline, you want Ramsay to be an even biggest monster, you want Sansa to appear in over her head, you want Theon to redeem himself. There's many ways to do this without turning her into a total helpless victim again and without her seeming stupid as well. I thought she would be okay with the sex going into it, but then Ramsay would do something horrible to Myranda and might even try to get Sansa to join in. What the hell is the point of Myranda? I thought that was why she existed.

When Littlefinger told Sansa to make Ramsay your own, and she thought that was a good idea, common sense says she would probably have to have sex with a despicable person. I thought by agreeing to the marriage it meant she was going to pretend to enjoy him. Like how Margarey treated Joffrey. Or how Osha treated Theon. Who would ever thought she'd be too scared to even demand that Theon leave the room? Or that she would be saying what a kind man Tyrion was for not touching her. I thought the surprise would be when he flayed someone. Then she would realize that she's in for more than she bargained for.

If not that, then I thought she might try to stab Ramsay as soon as they were alone together. Even if it didn't work, at least she would be trying something and not just be standing there and taking it. What can her goal possibly be? If it's waiting for Stannis to show up, well that's too idiotic for words. Littlefinger already said Stannis is expected to win. If he wins, the Boltons are dead anyway. Can anyone explain this?

I have no faith in D & D to make something good out of this because I remember how they treated the Cersei rape last year. Just ignored it.

Edited by Lothar

Lord Godric, on 18 May 2015 - 4:50 PM, said:snapback.png

I don't remember any boobies or dragons from this episode. Odd.

That must be why people disliked the episode :P

They could've at least shown some dragon boobies

I would have thoroughly enjoyed the episode if we saw dragon boobies. Like I've been saying, if they want to have ridiculous plotlines and character arcs, might as well make it as fucking weird and entertaining as possible (like the Sand Fake fight which was so bad it was good!).

I would have thoroughly enjoyed the episode if we saw dragon boobies. Like I've been saying, if they want to have ridiculous plotlines and character arcs, might as well make it as fucking weird and entertaining as possible (like the Sand Fake fight which was so bad it was good!).

Agreed. Maybe throw in Optimus Prime killin' some smallfolk or something

I LOVED that Littlefinger's plan silenced all the criticisms against him this season. "It doesnt make sense! Dumber and Dumber dont know what theyre doing!" -- booyah. Have some patience next time. Just like when there were tons of complaints about Brienne being a bully and then she apologizes to Pod. The writers stumble and fall some times but they know what theyre doing.

It makes less sense now. If the Boltons are an old northern house and they need a Stark marriage to "cement their claim" why would some up jumped outsider have any real chance? Because Cersei said so? He now has no dominion over the North nor the Vale. It's a hair brained scheme.

It makes less sense now. If the Boltons are an old northern house and they need a Stark marriage to "cement their claim" why would some up jumped outsider have any real chance? Because Cersei said so? He now has no dominion over the North nor the Vale. It's a hair brained scheme.

Agreed

I agree with everything you've said Modesty, except this last bit. Nothing can save the show now. It has become a farce and the antithesis of good storytelling. Even by television standards the writing is dreadful.

I fear you are right, but I do believe that viewers and critics can influence the show. Not this season obviously, but some good old mud slinging and rotten tomatoes throwing may force HBO CEOs if not the Mad King/Euron Greyjoy duo, to rethink their strategy for the next season - like hiring real writers for a change. I do pity the actors. They are excellent. They are trying hard (most of them anyway), but it is obvious that they gave up on script as well. Iain Glenn was the best in this episode when he had zero words to say. That speaks volumes. Also, actors are more and more engaged on other projects. The whole thing is slowly falling apart. Just compare Tywin skinning a deer in season 1 with "can you find fat Valda's fanny" dialogue this season. Pathetic.

Edited by Modesty Lannister

I would have hoped that Sansa, knowing she had to go through with her wedding night, would have simply and forcefully showed her (supposedly) new found power and agency, and shed her clothes outright as a sign that she feared nothing and was in control (to the extent she could be in the presence of a monster). But instead, she was still the timid victim. Even if the torment and abuse still occurred regardless. At least she wouldn't have gone in like a sacrificial lamb. Unfortunate that.

Edited by JonInVa

I would have hoped that Sansa, knowing she had to go through with her wedding night, would have simply and forcefully showed her (supposedly) new found power and agency, and shed her clothes outright as a sign that she feared nothing and was in control (to the extent she could be in the presence of a monster). But instead, she was still the timid victim. Even if the torment and abuse still occurred regardless. At least she wouldn't have gone in like a sacrificial lamb. Unfortunate that.

Yes! Which is why I think this scene shows bad writing, but should not be thought of as "I'll never watch the show again, they raped Sansa." Sansa hardened herself to the marriage with Ramsey and she knew what that would mean. She should have done a whole "this is my home, and you can not scare me" moment in that scene. Still would have been rape, but would have made sense with the narrative.

Oh that fucking birthmark. I can't even... What a stupid plot device.

I keep thinking they got they idea from the Michael Jackson trial. I believe one of his accusers could describe a distinguishing birthmark or scar.

How is he that legitimized and shouldn't the Gold Cloaks protect the Queen as well? How can a fucking queen be that easily inprisoned?

The Gold Cloaks did make a move to protect her, but Tommen held up his hand to stop them. I missed that the first time watching the scene, but I noticed it the second time. I am curious as to why he stopped them and did not force the issue. I really did expect some sort of uproar from Tommen, but he did not make a move other than to hold up his hand to stop the gold cloaks. Why do you think he did not cause a scene and force the issue? I do not think it would have changed the outcome, but I found it curious as to why he did not at least make an attempt to save his queen.

As far arresting the Queen, I assume as long as the King does not stop it, then it is pretty easy. She is not a reigning queen, but merely a queen consort. Just ask Katherine Howard or Anne Boleyn how easy it was to be arrested as a queen consort.

I fear you are right, but I do believe that viewers and critics can influence the show. Not this season obviously, but some good old mud slinging and rotten tomatoes throwing may force HBO CEOs if not the Mad King/Euron Greyjoy duo, to rethink their strategy for the next season - like hiring real writers for a change. I do pity the actors. They are excellent. They are trying hard (most of them anyway), but it is obvious that they gave up on script as well. Iain Glenn was the best in this episode when he had zero words to say. That speaks volumes. Also, actors are more and more engaged on other projects. The whole thing is slowly falling apart. Just compare Tywin skinning a deer in season 1 with "can you find fat Valda's fanny" dialogue this season. Pathetic.

Exactly, in first season they had GRRM and Jane Espenson, (and Bryan Cogman), now they have Dave Hill-Sons of the harpy was his first screenplay. He started as assistant, and he got a job as a writer because he suggested Olly should kill Ygritte.

I don't remember any boobies or dragons from this episode. Odd.

That must be why people disliked the episode :P

The entire series will end like this: Jon and Daeny waving to the cheering crowds in their "just married" carriage with white walker heads tied on the back instead of tin cans. Tyrion, now Lord of Casterly Rock, sober and loved by the smallfolk will turn around and make a witty quip to Missandei who just then happens to be breast feeding Grey Worm's baby. Loras will be standing there doing something gay. Then the camera pans around the horizon, where we see Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion going at it like rabbits having a threesome... they look up and breathe loads of fire into the camera and everything cuts to black.

Sorry for the spoilers but it was kinda obvious

Yea most of the dialogue seems unrealistic. I'm not sure if anyone gets what I'm saying. I know it's all fictional but it just doesn't submerge me into the world like it did once before. I can't picture Ned stark or Catelyn existing In a season 1-4 and delivering any of the lines they've come up with these days.im no purist this season I've mostly been able to keep show and book separate, turn my brain off and just watch. Non book readers are starting to notice the bad writing, plot holes and other mistakes.

The entire series will end like this: Jon and Daeny waving to the cheering crowds in their "just married" carriage with white walker heads tied on the back instead of tin cans. Tyrion, now Lord of Casterly Rock, sober and loved by the smallfolk will turn around and make a witty quip to Missandei who just then happens to be breast feeding Grey Worm's baby. Loras will be standing there doing something gay. Then the camera pans around the horizon, where we see Drogon, Rhaegal and Viserion going at it like rabbits having a threesome... they look up and breathe loads of fire into the camera and everything cuts to black.

Sorry for the spoilers but it was kinda obvious

:lmao:

Please, let this happen. Especially the Other-heads-as-tin-cans and Missworm baby.