[Book Spoilers] EP506 Discussion v. 2

GRRM Uses sketchy storytelling tropes: news at eleven.

I'm not sure what point you guys are makin

g?

People did complain about the Dany/Drogo thing on the book forums. Just as people complained about Mel's rape of Gendry and Jaime raping Cersei in the show forums.

Maybe people were more forgiving in season one when when the show had some semblence of storytelling. Maybe after the show keeps adding rape when none existed has taken away that goodwill.

I'm not sure who the "you guys" you're talking about are, but if I am one of them the point I was trying to make was that the Dany/Drogo rape was not "adding rape when none existed."

I'm not sure who the "you guys" you're talking about are, but if I am one of them the point I was trying to make was that the Dany/Drogo rape was not "adding rape when none existed."

So the board ate my quote.

I was referring to the people asking where the outrage was in season 1.

Because that is such a limited definition of rape it's almost scary.

She also wanted it physically.

Is that sketchy? Sure. Is it still statutory rape and an arranged marriage? Yes.

Does the intent behind the scene remotely resemble D&D's motives for wanting it "as brutal as possible"? I dunno, you tell me.

Edited by Facebookless Man

He literally asked her for permission.

Like I said, she was sort of pushed into a corner; he was an adult speaking down to a young girl and it's hard to comfortably say 'no' when you're conditioned to be submissive.

And like Winter's Knight implied, it's unlikely that a barbarian warlord would take 'no' for an answer. The way I saw it, Drogo was waiting until he got his way because he picked up on her passivity.

I always thought Dany's love story with Drogo was one of the most unbelievable parts of the books for a major POV character. Whether you call it rape or not, she was contemplating suicide at one point because of the rough to brutal sex that left her muffling her cries in her pillow. Then she learned how to please Drogo in another way and grew to love him. I like the books in spite of that story line, not because of it. There were plenty of complaints about the rape in season 1 too. I think people liked the show in spite of the rape, not because of it in that situation too.

Rape is terrible but it doesn't offend me to see it on the show if it is critical to a plot line. I understand why it would for other people. It's just an illogical plot line for Sansa to even be there, and creating a rape scene for her is upsetting viewers who are offended with minimal gain. Even if you aren't offended, was it entertaining to you? If you loved the episode, would you be rating it down if Sansa had been rescued before the bedding? Or if Ramsay had been called to deal with an attack by Stannis first? Rape is a logical course of action for Ramsay in that situation, but it's not the only option they had.

Edited by Tadco26

Like I said, she was sort of pushed into a corner; he was an adult speaking down to a young girl and it's hard to comfortably say 'no' when you're conditioned to be submissive.

And like Winter's Knight implied, it's unlikely that a barbarian warlord would take 'no' for an answer. The way I saw it, Drogo was waiting until he got his way because he picked up on her passivity.

I quoted the passage with her feelings and her thoughts in it. And her physical reactions too.

Not much else I can do at this point.

It's not really relevant right now. Go open a discussion in the book forums if you want a discussion on Dany/Drogo. Someone might even explain how growing up with abuse, Dany learnt to equate it with love and used it as a coping mechanism to survive.

Edited by Winter's Knight

It's not really relevant right now. Go open a discussion in the book forums if you want a discussion on Dany/Drogo.

I didn't bring it up, and I'm not that interested. I'm just defending the author of the books from being equated with those of the show.

Someone might even explain how growing up with abuse, Dany learnt to equate it with love and used it as a coping mechanism to survive.

You seriously, honestly think that was GRRM's intent there?

Edited by Facebookless Man

Right then.

Does anyone know why the Sand Snakes had to go in secret-ninja-style? They're Trystane's cousins-getting into the Water Gardens should have been easy.

HA! Great question! Also, they didn't even have to go in armed to the teeth with spears, etc. (not to mention in broad daylight - didn't Trys and Myrc take evening strolls?) They could have just nonchalantly strolled in (with some concealed weapons, of course) and tried to snatch Myrcella. That would have made quite a bit more sense.

Edited by Prince of the North

HA! Great question! Also, they didn't even have to go in armed to the teeth with spears, etc. (not to mention in broad daylight - didn't Trys and Myrc take evening strolls?) They could have just nonchalantly strolled in (with some concealed weapons, of course) and tried to snatch Myrcella. That would have made quite a bit more sense.

What is their plan once they snatch her? Hurting or killing her seems like what they were implying they were going to do to Myrcella, but they don't need to abduct her first to do that. Yet they didn't even try to attack her when they were fighting Jaime and Bronn.

Besides if two foreigners can walk in armed and assault the prince without any guards stopping them, then the sand snakes getting in seems like a piece of cake.

Edited by Tadco26

What is their plan once they snatch her? Hurting or killing her seems like what they were implying they were going to do to Myrcella, but they don't need to abduct her first to do that. Yet they didn't even try to attack her when they were fighting Jaime and Bronn.

Besides if two foreigners can walk in armed and assault the prince without any guards stopping them, then the sand snakes getting in seems like a piece of cake.

Good point about the SS not even trying to harm Myrcella when that was their stated goal. That's another thing that should have gone differently if the show were internally consistent at all.

Your second point is what I am getting at with having the SS conceal their intent a bit and just walk into the water gardens. That way some guards could have been shown and that would have been at least a bit more logical. However, then we couldn't have Jaime and Bronn just easily walk into the place unchallenged so... :dunno:

Also, that scene really, really should have taken place in the evening. I mean, it's simply logical that one would make the attempt, whether it's to kill Myrcella or "rescue" her, in the evening because the coming darkness would make getting away much easier.

Right?

Just.. "Welcome to the family cousin, spend the night with us for some sisterly bonding. "

They could even blame her murder on Jamie and Bronn later.

Also I've been meaning to mention this but I really liked Myrcella's dress. Such a pretty shade of orange.

I would have hoped that Sansa, knowing she had to go through with her wedding night, would have simply and forcefully showed her (supposedly) new found power and agency, and shed her clothes outright as a sign that she feared nothing and was in control (to the extent she could be in the presence of a monster). But instead, she was still the timid victim. Even if the torment and abuse still occurred regardless. At least she wouldn't have gone in like a sacrificial lamb. Unfortunate that.

I can't agree more!!!!