[Book Spoilers] EP506 Discussion v. 2

I think that sansa's rape scene shouldn't be thought about as 'ruining' sansa's arc, because I think the event is much more important in theons and ramsey's arc.

I think the abuse jeyne is subjected to tells the reader alot more about ramsey and its these events that really trigger theon to become more daring, he realises that death is what he really wants and that nothing else really matters so he saves jeyne because he no longer fears the consquences as much.

This is a really big realisation for theon and I think will really have an impact on the story to come, so because the show didn't have jeyne to to use they had to use sansa and a rape scene maximises the drama and the trigger for theon.

I also think sansa will learn from this, she will be more likely to forgive and care for theon (she might even learn that her borthers are alive) now she knows what ramsey is really like and sansa will also 'toughen' up slightly she was already developing a more cynical outlook especially on people she didn't know but now she will be even more cynical and be more aware of the harsh realities of the boltons/westeros. This is not a setback of her arc but an event to push her on to reclaim the north back to the starks.

Interesting read but, wow, I could not disagree with Amanda Marcott any more on that piece. I don't have any of the problems with the Sansa scene that she purports to be "debunking" except one: they did make it about Theon. That is, they took a major character who had her own story and made her take the place of a minor character who's story arc serves another major character's (Theon's) arc. The other elephant in the room that this "debunking" never brings up is simply that, even within the show, Littlefinger taking Sansa to Winterfell and marrying her to the Boltons makes absolutely no sense (my main problem with the whole thing). Those are the problems I have with the Sansa scene (along with the simple fact that it was all done for shock value). So, no, it doesn't "debunk" anything for me. Ultimately, she has her opinion and I have mine and I would simply point out that disagreeing with something is not necessarily "debunking" it. ;)

Interesting read but, wow, I could not disagree with Amanda Marcott any more on that piece. I don't have any of the problems with the Sansa scene that she purports to be "debunking" except one: they did make it about Theon. That is, they took a major character who had her own story and made her take the place of a minor character who's story arc serves another major character's (Theon's) arc. The other elephant in the room that this "debunking" never brings up is simply that, even within the show, Littlefinger taking Sansa to Winterfell and marrying her to the Boltons makes absolutely no sense (my main problem with the whole thing). Those are the problems I have with the Sansa scene (along with the simple fact that it was all done for shock value). So, no, it doesn't "debunk" anything for me. Ultimately, she has her opinion and I have mine and I would simply point out that disagreeing with something is not necessarily "debunking" it. ;)

:agree:

Yup.

That article doesn't really address (much less 'debunk') my issues. My opinion is that the author is missing the point rather broadly.

:agree:

Yup.

That article doesn't really address (much less 'debunk') my issues. My opinion is that the author is missing the point rather broadly.

Yup, yup, and yup.

I found that last night on Twitter as I was signing off, and just WOW......powerful stuff, and my heart goes out to her. I hope one day she finds some peace and happiness and can have more than an internet hug in her life. Until then, she gets one from me. I admire also, in spite of all the personal issues, that she can see the difference in handling of the subject matter between the books and the show.

One thing I found interesting in that post was this: She mentions not only the crack made to Sophie about getting a love interest, she also mentions that someone on set gave Sophie, by not Iwan who plays Ramsey, a fake wedding card? I haven't kept up with all the behind scenes things lately, as D&D make me sicker and sicker, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Was Sophie given a fake wedding card? And, by whom?

I found that last night on Twitter as I was signing off, and just WOW......powerful stuff, and my heart goes out to her. I hope one day she finds some peace and happiness and can have more than an internet hug in her life. Until then, she gets one from me. I admire also, in spite of all the personal issues, that she can see the difference in handling of the subject matter between the books and the show.

One thing I found interesting in that post was this: She mentions not only the crack made to Sophie about getting a love interest, she also mentions that someone on set gave Sophie, by not Iwan who plays Ramsey, a fake wedding card? I haven't kept up with all the behind scenes things lately, as D&D make me sicker and sicker, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Was Sophie given a fake wedding card? And, by whom?

Whoever it was deserved to be punched.

I was going to comment on the piece of garbage Woman Of War posted, and then I read this and my opinion didn't matter anymore.

I don't think it's fair to say your opinion doesn't matter anymore just because you haven't had the same terrible experience. I think we all have the right to speak our opinions.

Speaking of which, this is... lol and accurate:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitleypedia/aunbowed-unbent-unbrokena-a-what-aadult-h8au#.evBm4PE92

ETA: I laughed at the part when they say that GoT has managed to offend both gay people and religious people at the same time :lol:

Edited by JonCon's Red Beard

That is very moving and powerful (and articulate in defence of the source material). I wish there was a way to give her the props she deserves.

As a side note, I think she's bang on target about the shutting down of the rant & rave threads that allowed us to vent our frustration with the handling of these issues.

Edited by Ser Quork