Brian told us Everything we need to know

Those of you upset about the divergence of the books and show, consider Brienne's comments in E05 while she and Pod sit and watch Littlefinger and Sansa go through Moat Cailin.

Pod: How do we get through there?

Brienne: We don't. We go around.

Pod: It's miles out of the way. We'll lose sight of them.

Brienne: Doesn't matter. I know where they're going.

D&D are not following GRRM through the Moat Cailin of strict book adherence. They can't. The books are too complex, too fraught with the danger of becoming the Meereen of television while they explore every subplot and every minor character just to kill them off two weeks later. They're going around, and while they might lose sight of the books as they take their detour, it doesn't matter. They know where they're going.

And if you don't want to take their word for it, take GRRM's. If you consider him the authentic voice of the series, then take him at his word when he says it's tiresome to hear people constantly complaining about their divergence in his latest post, http://grrm.livejournal.com/427713.html.

A glorious endgame doesn't excuse a road paved with shite.

Exactly. If anything, this season has more proof for me that Sansa will end in a position of power, possibly as Queen in The North or Wardeness of the North - But that doesn't change the fact they felt the need to rape her.

D&D are not following GRRM through the Moat Cailin of strict book adherence. They can't. The books are too complex, too fraught with the danger of becoming the Meereen of television while they explore every subplot and every minor character just to kill them off two weeks later. They're going around, and while they might lose sight of the books as they take their detour, it doesn't matter. They know where they're going.

ROFL.

These hacks can't write their way out of a paper bag.

Then it's a more faithful adaptation then people give it credit.

Absolutely. ADwD was disappointing to say the least. I thinking focusing on Dorne instead of the Ironborn was a mistake. But imagine the outrage about all the rape and pillage if we were following Euron and Victarion around?

Those of you upset about the divergence of the books and show, consider Brienne's comments in E05 while she and Pod sit and watch Littlefinger and Sansa go through Moat Cailin.

Pod: How do we get through there?

Brienne: We don't. We go around.

Pod: It's miles out of the way. We'll lose sight of them.

Brienne: Doesn't matter. I know where they're going.

And if you don't want to take their word for it, take GRRM's. If you consider him the authentic voice of the series, then take him at his word when he says it's tiresome to hear people constantly complaining about their divergence in his latest post, http://grrm.livejournal.com/427713.html.

Imagine if they had done something similar during season 1.

Take only Ned's story. You're telling me that the only thing that is important is that he died, if I understand you comment.

So if he died after being sentenced to death for murdering innocent children and selling people into slavery, it would still have been the same story, right? And after that, following D&D's logic, season 2 would still go as planned, even if now Robb's reason to go to war would be transformed.

That's why people are pissed.It's not because something changed, but because these changes are not logical if we look at the big picture.

Just look at the Tyrion/Jaime scene from last season. Jaime not telling Tyrion about Tysha makes Tyrions choice to climb the ladder instead of fleeing totally wrong. But still, because Tyrion killing Shae and Tywin was such a big deal, they decided to add it anyway.

Do you really believe that only the results are important?

Just look at the Tyrion/Jaime scene from last season. Jaime not telling Tyrion about Tysha makes Tyrions choice to climb the ladder instead of fleeing totally wrong. But still, because Tyrion killing Shae and Tywin was such a big deal, they decided to add it anyway.

Seriously? It completely changes the dynamic between Jaime and Tyrion because show Tyrion has no reason to hate him, but how on earth does it impact the decision to kill his father? He had eight billion reasons to hate his father regardless of whether Tysha was a whore or not.

Imagine if they had done something similar during season 1.

Take only Ned's story. You're telling me that the only thing that is important is that he died, if I understand you comment.

So if he died after being sentenced to death for murdering innocent children and selling people into slavery, it would still have been the same story, right? And after that, following D&D's logic, season 2 would still go as planned, even if now Robb's reason to go to war would be transformed.

That's why people are pissed.It's not because something changed, but because these changes are not logical if we look at the big picture.

Do you really believe that only the results are important?

See, the problem with your assertion is that we don't know the "big picture". We have some theories. We have some ideas. But D&D have more information than we do. Maybe Sansa ends up in the North, deflowered or even dead at some point in the next two books. If so, arguing that D&D are making these choices unilaterally is going to look pretty silly in retrospective. And yes, the big strokes are important, but we don't know what those big strokes are. I trust the show runners to be faithful ENOUGH to the show, because GRRM has placed his trust in them. If it turns out that they blow it in the end, then what was damaged? We still have the books, and hopefully they're better than ADwD.

Seriously? It completely changes the dynamic between Jaime and Tyrion because show Tyrion has no reason to hate him, but how on earth does it impact the decision to kill his father? He had eight billion reasons to hate his father regardless of whether Tysha was a whore or not.

In the books it was a spur of a moment sort of thing as he was enraged by learning the truth about Tysha. In the show he had no such motivation, so he just decided to take a huge risk of getting caught to have a one final chat with his dad (if Shae hadn't been in there in Show what would Tyrion had done anyways? Would he had just cold-bloodedly murdered his father?)

See, the problem with your assertion is that we don't know the "big picture". We have some theories. We have some ideas. But D&D have more information than we do. Maybe Sansa ends up in the North, deflowered or even dead at some point in the next two books. If so, arguing that D&D are making these choices unilaterally is going to look pretty silly in retrospective. And yes, the big strokes are important, but we don't know what those big strokes are. I trust the show runners to be faithful ENOUGH to the show, because GRRM has placed his trust in them. If it turns out that they blow it in the end, then what was damaged? We still have the books, and hopefully they're better than ADwD.

A good adaptation to a great book series mostly. And it's damaged already.

When the show runners said that season 4 wasn't what scared them, season 5 was, I understood the point there. Because they've had to condense almost two whole books with a lot of overbloated and controversial material that have devised readers since they were published.

Beyond that, they have made some serious mistakes regarding both some of the new material they've chosen to include as well as some the pre-existing plot lines they've brought from the books.

However since after this season we will begin to head into the last length of this saga, instead of diverging further from the story arcs, we'll hopefully see a course correction towards the endgame as plot threads begin to converge. So if Winds of Winter is anywhere near as good as it's being set up to be, season 6 will hopefully reflect that improvement in its quality.

Tyrion was super excited to escape before Jaime told him about Tysha, and certainly not thinking about his father. It was because of the enormous burst of rage provoked by this confession that he decided to jeopardize his escape in order to know where Tywin sent Tysha.

But most importantly, this was just an example.

It's good to know that GRRM is far more reasonable than many of his fans.

Prose and television have different strengths, different weaknesses, different requirements.

David and Dan and Bryan and HBO are trying to make the best television series that they can.

And over here I am trying to write the best novels that I can.

And yes, more and more, they differ. Two roads diverging in the dark of the woods, I suppose... but all of us are still intending that at the end we will arrive at the same place.

Archived