[Book Spoilers] How many of the readers will continue watching this show after Season 5?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There is absolutely no way in hell that GoT is cancelled before it ends. The only thing that has a chance of not being finished is the books.

No kidding. The show is doing more then double the numbers in the key demographic compared to anything else on cable this month. And it is only second to The Walking Dead for the entire year. This show isn't going anywhere.

Not sure why marrying Sansa to Ramsey is a necessary step before taking out the winner of Stannis/Bolton, so we'll have to see if they come up with something lame or something good to explain that bit. I'm reserving judgement on the Sansa bedding scene until we can see if that marriage was actually important to Littlefinger's plot or if it was just gratuitous.

Proposing an alliance between the Vale and the Boltons was the only way Littlefinger could ever convince the Bolton garrison at Moat Cailin to let an army through when they come. Otherwise, taking out the winner is a non-starter if they just get slaughtered in the neck. Not that that makes the Sansa marriage completely necessary, since they could have just done the same thing as the book, where I'm guessing Littlefinger ultimately has the same plan, but he gains the trust of the Boltons by giving them Jeyne Poole and convincing the world she's actually Arya. He needed to do something, though. Just strolling and saying "hey, I'm here to help you, let me through" wasn't going to work.

Of course I will watch to the bitter end. Being addicted to GRRM story telling creates a need for anything ASOIAF, regardless how poor it is. Hello fan forums, hello D&D shock schlock.

I'll keep watching. I had already read the books that were out before season 1 and to be honest, the changes in the show don't really bother me at all. Sure there are things that I would have liked to see on the show, but the reality is it just isn't possible. If I didn't like it, I just wouldn't watch it. It should be a pretty simple choice to change a channel huh?

My biggest fear is that by following the show, things will divert so much and events that don't occur in the books will be imprinted into our memories that when we read the upcoming books, our expectations of what the real events are will measure poorly to the narratives of the upcoming stories.

I had a small bit of trouble reading ACOK. I was wondering how this Reek chap was, when Arya was going to meet Tywin, why Stannis wasn't leading the assault on KL. It was nothing that I didn't wrap my head around once I figured out they changed it for the show.

I can't imagine reading the books now and finding out Catelyn is "alive", Brienne doesn't fight the Hound, Sansa doesn't go to Winterfell, the greyjoys, Aegon, Arianne, Northern Conspiracy, Abel the bard, Jeyne Pool, Sansa still in the Veil, Jamie going to the riverlands. It would be very hard to differentiate between the two if you started reading the books now.

D&D surveyed the book landscape looking for something to include. The Greyjoys and the kingsmoot? Nah. Riverlands, with the Brotherhood, Blackfish, Lady Stoneheart and a great wolfpack? No. Dorne - take your pick, Arianne and queensmaking or Quentyn and Doran's Targ plans? No, we'll have "fighting and fucking" thank you very much (and of course they would ignore the Sand Snake with the most potential). Speaking of Old Town, isn't that where A Man is supposed to be and where Sam should already be on his way? They not only ignored all those plot points, the ones they chose they cut out all the flesh. Episode 6 and we still haven't seen Cat of the Annals, Blind Beth, the doomed insurance guy, another doomed Dareon replacement, the inns and courtesans of Braavos. Arya still hasn't started learning about poisons yet. Yet somehow Mercy will be ready for Trant this season. Jon, Dany and even Tyrion's stories have been similarly trimmed.

So D&D looked at all this story potential, with freedom to choose what to emphasise and they said "you know what, there's a rape in there that we should highlight and we know which character to assassinate. It's going to be mayhem, we're going to win the internet!"

I am a simpleton, this farce, doing that to a Stark, especially Sansa, was bound to make me react this way. I will always have a certain emotional connection to the Starks. GRRM knows it, that's why even though he's teased it quite a few times, he's never really pulled the trigger. D&D know it too, that's why they pulled the trigger. It's their prerogative, they wanted the strongest reaction they could get and guess what, I'm giving it to them. I'm out. To think I was worried about the show spoiling the books!

People waiting for the books will likely be spoiled by accident. No way you can wait 5 years before the last book comes out and not see something online that spoils it.

For people thinking it will get cancelled.... It is the 3rd best scripted show on tv for the 18-49 demographic. Only the Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead beat it. Not to mention it is a big success world wide. This show is finishing first. And with the same ending as the books (according to GRRM).

People waiting for the books will likely be spoiled by accident. No way you can wait 5 years before the last book comes out and not see something online that spoils it.

For people thinking it will get cancelled.... It is the 3rd best scripted show on tv for the 18-49 demographic. Only the Big Bang Theory and The Walking Dead beat it. Not to mention it is a big success world wide. This show is finishing first. And with the same ending as the books (according to GRRM).

I wouldn't go that far. It at one point was probably 3rd best scripted show on TV, i think it's fallen since then.

I think I'll keep watching. I really enjoyed the first thirty-nine episodes. The last seven have varied between somewhat and hugely disappointing, but hey, it's still better than most fantasy TV shows. As for how unfaithful it is, as I've said before - I made it through The Hobbit; I can make it through this.

I'll continue watching the show. That way, I won't have the ending of the books spoiled for me. But this season is very mediocre. Not including the changes from the books, there are a lot of plot holes in the show.

I wouldn't go that far. It at one point was probably 3rd best scripted show on TV, i think it's fallen since then.

Pretty much. The show seems to have lost a lot of it's subtlety and layers that made for good storytelling. The cohesiveness of the first few seasons made me feel like it was great TV, but so far S5 (and parts of S3 & 4) feels like pretty average to above average TV. D&D obviously felt that they needed to 'dumb it down' for the average viewer, but the average viewer, from what I've seen, isn't too impressed with this season, and the astute viewer is picking up on a lot of the flaws in the narrative. The show has become a hit via 'shock value', so shoehorning that element in for the sake of it is becoming somewhat tiring and it doesn't feel effective when it comes about unnaturally.

The big ADWD moments I'm sure will reel most of the TV audience back in at the end of the season. I can't see myself not watching the show moving forward: I'm just too ill-disciplined to follow through with a decision like that, but having done a re-read of the last two novels recently (AFFC in particular really resonated with me upon re-read) it's really not coming close to my expectations, and my expectations aren't even that unreasonable compared to most.

Archived