[Book Spoilers] How many of the readers will continue watching this show after Season 5?

I have less faith in the books than I do in the show. Gonna watch until the end. Then I'll pick up Winds when it comes out years after the show is done.

I want you to explain that to me. I can understand some people liking the show, even with it's cardboard characters, but why don't you trust the books?

I won't ignore it for the spoilers. I would ignore it if the nonsense that is Dorne continues. The show continues to become less entertaining and more about "shocking" the viewers. I also feel like part of the strength of the books is that the plots actually make sense (upside of him spending so long pondering every page). The show plots (looking at you, Jaime and Littlefinger) just don't make sense. that ruins the realism for me.

I just don't feel interested in season 5 anymore. I've felt moments of outrage at how thin the "adapting" has becoming - it's more filmed AU AsoIaf fanfiction than an adaption of GRRM's books at the moment - but not even that is enough to keep me interested in hate watching. I'm just...bored? I think I'll come back for the final season, but as of now, it's just lost the qualities I most loved about it: great writing, pace, artistic choices, and characterization.

Daenerys Must Die explains it best:

Pretty much. The show seems to have lost a lot of it's subtlety and layers that made for good storytelling. The cohesiveness of the first few seasons made me feel like it was great TV, but so far S5 (and parts of S3 & 4) feels like pretty average to above average TV. D&D obviously felt that they needed to 'dumb it down' for the average viewer, but the average viewer, from what I've seen, isn't too impressed with this season, and the astute viewer is picking up on a lot of the flaws in the narrative. The show has become a hit via 'shock value', so shoehorning that element in for the sake of it is becoming somewhat tiring and it doesn't feel effective when it comes about unnaturally.

The big ADWD moments I'm sure will reel most of the TV audience back in at the end of the season. I can't see myself not watching the show moving forward: I'm just too ill-disciplined to follow through with a decision like that, but having done a re-read of the last two novels recently (AFFC in particular really resonated with me upon re-read) it's really not coming close to my expectations, and my expectations aren't even that unreasonable compared to most.

Pretty much. The show seems to have lost a lot of it's subtlety and layers that made for good storytelling. The cohesiveness of the first few seasons made me feel like it was great TV, but so far S5 (and parts of S3 & 4) feels like pretty average to above average TV. D&D obviously felt that they needed to 'dumb it down' for the average viewer, but the average viewer, from what I've seen, isn't too impressed with this season, and the astute viewer is picking up on a lot of the flaws in the narrative. The show has become a hit via 'shock value', so shoehorning that element in for the sake of it is becoming somewhat tiring and it doesn't feel effective when it comes about unnaturally.

The big ADWD moments I'm sure will reel most of the TV audience back in at the end of the season. I can't see myself not watching the show moving forward: I'm just too ill-disciplined to follow through with a decision like that, but having done a re-read of the last two novels recently (AFFC in particular really resonated with me upon re-read) it's really not coming close to my expectations, and my expectations aren't even that unreasonable compared to most.

I'm with you. It's just been really boring this season. That and the writers just being lazy.

I just wish those who want to stop watching the show, do it and don't come back next season to complain about how much they want to stop watching the show for ruining the books. I've been reading that nonsense since Season 1 Episode 2. If you don't like it, why do you come back and complain? I genuinely don't understand.

I just wish those who want to stop watching the show, do it and don't come back next season to complain about how much they want to stop watching the show for ruining the books. I've been reading that nonsense since Season 1 Episode 2. If you don't like it, why do you come back and complain? I genuinely don't understand.

If you don't like to see people complaining about it, why are you reading a thread about just that? Just stop reading! I genuinely don't understand.

I can't watch this show anymore. Last episode (actually, just THAT one scene) let me a bad taste in the mouth. I can't. Sorry, GoT. I defended you, but you did this to yourself. I'll wait all the years that Martin needs, it's not like I can't keep myself entertained until that.

If you don't like to see people complaining about it, why are you reading a thread about just that? Just stop reading! I genuinely don't understand.

Because this thread is a question about how many readers will stop, it's not a "I MUST STOP WATCHING BECAUSE DIFFERENT WAH" complain only thread. I personally have been debating about not watching next season because I don't want to be spoiled, which is why I opened the thread and planned to discuss. Only to find the likes of people who make large lengthy facebook messages about quitting facebook and coming back the next day.

Are they the same posters though? Sure, people have threatened to stop watching since Season 1, but did they really come back over and over again? You kept track? Or maybe they really did stop watching and you never heard from them again. And a new crop of people each season come to the same conclusion and also don't come back. These are probably all different people, unless you've kept track of each of these people throughout the years. In that case, continue generalizing.

:agree:

Because this thread is a question about how many readers will stop, it's not a "I MUST STOP WATCHING BECAUSE DIFFERENT WAH" complain only thread. I personally have been debating about not watching next season because I don't want to be spoiled, which is why I opened the thread and planned to discuss. Only to find the likes of people who make large lengthy facebook messages about quitting facebook and coming back the next day.

Wait, now you're moderating the reasons why people should want to stop?

I will continue to watch and continue to read the books. IMO the problems the show has now are a direct result of the problems with books 4 and 5. I think there is a very strong possibility that the books will never be finished and even if they are finished, I do not think that GRRM will be able to end it in a deeply satisfying manner. He created too many storylines and has just gotten off track too many times to be able to pull it all together.

I actually like book 5 much better than book 4, because at least there was some forward movement there. However it has been years since book 5 came out and he has now pushed back the release of book 6 several times. That leads me to believe that he does not know what he wants to do and he is still just wandering around writing filler. I know he likes to blather about being a gardener, but everyone I know that actually gardens has some sort of overall plan. I did not care for the WoW chapters that were released. I felt they were just that same old meandering filler that we have seen in the last two books.

I'll keep watching. I had already read the books that were out before season 1 and to be honest, the changes in the show don't really bother me at all. Sure there are things that I would have liked to see on the show, but the reality is it just isn't possible. If I didn't like it, I just wouldn't watch it. It should be a pretty simple choice to change a channel huh?

To an extent this is true. To a great extent it's not, and that's what bothers me.

Ex: Near the end of last season why didn't they have time to have Jaime reveal to Tyrion that Tysha wasn't a whore when they had time to slip in a non-book 4 minute scene between the two about beetles?

Hell, a better example was the entire first season, which was amazingly accurate to the first book. Onward though D&D decided to flex their fan-fiction writing muscles more and more.

I will be watching, but more for the benefit of my family and myself when I want to criticize something. Smug idiots on here will see that as some sort of win for the show, but even Ebert watched bad movies and reviewed them.

I will be watching, but more for the benefit of my family and myself when I want to criticize something. Smug idiots on here will see that as some sort of win for the show, but even Ebert watched bad movies and reviewed them.

Yeah, but he is payed to do so. :P

I can't imagine watching a show I hate. I have problems with GoT, but for the most part I enjoy it. I have quit shows in the middle of seasons before, life's too short to waste it spending hours, upon hours on something you take no pleasure from.

Just my opinion though. :dunno:

Archived