[Book Spoilers] How many of the readers will continue watching this show after Season 5?

I hope this is not too far off topic; just wanted to say I'm not a book reader, but will still stop watching. (I don't think there are enough "shownlies" around to merit a thread of our own.)

To be fair, I would have stopped even without the Sansa thing. The poor characterizations, dramatic development, acting/ direction (Dorne etc.), the glaring logical gaps, the anachronisms ... I'm sorry, all of this matters more to me than shock and awe. In fact, relying too much on the latter sort of ruins it for me.

Granted, I find their (the show's) view of sex, women, gay people particularly offputting.

I guess I'll still be around to read a bit about it, follow the "if it happened on FB" recaps and such.

I'll keep watching because there's other subplots/characters that I'm still interested in. But I've lost the ability to really care about some of them because of this season (The Dorne, Winterfell stuff most notably). But Arya, Tyrion, even Dany, still interested in that.

I hope this is not too far off topic; just wanted to say I'm not a book reader, but will still stop watching. (I don't think there are enough "shownlies" around to merit a thread of our own.)

To be fair, I would have stopped even without the Sansa thing. The poor characterizations, dramatic development, acting/ direction (Dorne etc.), the glaring logical gaps, the anachronisms ... I'm sorry, all of this matters more to me than shock and awe. In fact, relying too much on the latter sort of ruins it for me.

Granted, I find their (the show's) view of sex, women, gay people particularly offputting.

I guess I'll still be around to read a bit about it, follow the "if it happened on FB" recaps and such.

Reading your thoughts I fear you were never the target audience.

There are more show only watchers that I know that are quitting Game Of Thrones after this episode, I suspect, than there are book-readers that will quit, though there are an awful lot that I know that are giving up on the show. Sorry, guys, we love to hate. Though going back to my earlier comment about quitting if Team Dragonstone gets it, I can back that up, it was Doakes' death that made me quit Dexter.

There are more show only watchers that I know that are quitting Game Of Thrones after this episode, I suspect, than there are book-readers that will quit, though there are an awful lot that I know that are giving up on the show. Sorry, guys, we love to hate. Though going back to my earlier comment about quitting if Team Dragonstone gets it, I can back that up, it was Doakes' death that made me quit Dexter.

Maybe I don't get out much but none of the viewers I know are quitting.

Maybe I don't get out much but none of the viewers I know are quitting.

I think I must hang around with snobs or short attention spans something, but they are getting bored out of their skulls

"Maybe I don't get out much but none of the viewers I know are quitting."

That might change. I watch with a bunch of Unsullied and pretty much everyone watches for Jon and Dany. If Jon gets the Caesar treatment at the end of the season I think a bunch of people might quit just because they don't know who to root for.

That might change. I watch with a bunch of Unsullied and pretty much everyone watches for Jon and Dany. If Jon gets the Caesar treatment at the end of the season I think a bunch of people might quit just because they don't know who to root for.

Most of my guys watch for Tyrion. I don't think any of us would quit if the little guy got torched though. That said, he's the hero, so that ain't going to happen. GRRM's not that dumb.

:agree:

There may be valid critism, I may have some problems myself and yet the show is about the best TV has to offer at the moment. I guess many posters here fool themselves with their over the top criticism, apart from spoiling their own fun. Though I guess loving to hate together is the fashion of the moment and the epitome of fun for some. To each their own.

I think even nerdy people are allowed to enjoy themselves instead of finding ascetic satisfaction in pointing out sins and flaws in others with puritan righteousness. The Faith going after brothels and infidel directors, wine barrels and cameras with zealous intensity..... purgatory ...... Please get reasonable, people!

But the showmakers and Martin should know that hatred and not indifference is the other side of love.

So obviously I in my lack of intellectual and artistic competence will go on watching :D

this made me nod in agreement and chuckle...thank you

I'll keep hate watching because I just hate being left out and not knowing wtf is going on, plus there are spoilers everywhere on the internet even if I don't watch.

something else the lovers and haters have in common

More that are watching it now.

more readers ? or more unsullied...i think both will be true.

i believe more book readers are going to fall into the following catagory for assorted reasons...

Watching it to the end. Looking forward to seeing an ending.

This. I need an ending before 2025 (if any). I will read the books to know George's ending, of course, and I know that it will be great. But the prospect of having an ending within the next two years it's too tempting for me.

my reason:

i must know if tyrion gets a dragon, if dany lives (or really wants) to go to westeros, if the warging and white walkers ever mean anything...before i die...and i am an old drunken, smoking, unhealthy fucker so, in the words of my pops when confronted with a less than full whisky bottle...some is better than none

:smoking:

I'll keep watching. It's still a good show. There are some story lines I really wanted to see but a 10 episode season can only include so much. Yes, there are some things that are in the show that could and should have been replaced with better content (i.e. Missandei and Grey Worm weird love story). Overall though, I think the story they are telling is interesting. If they didn't deviate at all from the books it wouldn't be as good. The only thing that I don't like about season 5 is Dorne. So far it has been a let down and the Sand Snakes are awful. I don't know if it is the actresses or the writing, or possibly a combination of the two, but they are huge disappointments. Also, as epic as I think TWOW is going to be, I think the show would really benefit from expanding season 6 to a minimum of 13 episodes and just take more time to produce it. I'd be willing to wait and extra 4 or 5 months for the show if it means they can include more story lines from the books and increase the production value. Not likely to happen, but it would nice.

my reason:

i must know if tyrion gets a dragon, if dany lives (or really wants) to go to westeros, if the warging and white walkers ever mean anything...before i die...and i am an old drunken, smoking, unhealthy fucker so, in the words of my pops when confronted with a less than full whisky bottle...some is better than none

:smoking:

That made me smile a lot. Other than smoking I think I'm in the same boat. I so want to see the Little Guy flying around frying the fuck out of everybody who was shitty to him.

I know a bunch of Unsullied, who already quit watching GoT. They watch from time to time, when nothing else in going on but they just don't care about anybody. Another death, another pair of boobs, they are "pfff, whatever".

The sad thing, after first two/three seasons a lot of my friends wanted to read books when the show ends, and now they are uninterested.

I'm kind of surprised how many people think GRRM will die before his finishes the books. I don't see him taking more than 10 years from now to pop out the last two books, maximum. I believe the 6th will come out next year, and it might be another 5 years after that for the final book, but I'm expecting him to not take a break after WINDS like he did with DANCE.

I'll keep watching because it's funny, and interesting to see what makies the cut.

The Tysha story is a big moment in Tyrion's story.

It explains why he killed his father, why he hates is brother, why he's done with Westeros where he doesn't have nobody to return to...

It doesn't mean that we needed him to repeat "wherever whores go" for the entire season, but it was still a good story that brings more to the overall story than the beetles scene.

I don't disagree at all with the Tysha story being important to Tyrions' plot in the books, but on the show, Tywin sleeping with and calling Shae a whore was why Tyrion killed him. I just think that within the context of the show, the Tysha story was minimized to the one episode so that the show could use that focus onto a character that was actually on the show.

Hey guys, so as much as I am a big fan of the ASOIAF series, the show is ruining it for me with all the changes and the potential spoilers that I'm not quite sure I'm ready to continue watching it after Season 5.

That sums up the problem with your argument really. If you don't want any changes from the books then you might as well just read the books again.

Personally I definitely won't be stopping. It's still brilliantly entertaining if increasingly resorting to cliches. The acting's top notch and it's the second best adaptation of a book I've seen (after Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas).

"The sad thing, after first two/three seasons a lot of my friends wanted to read books when the show ends, and now they are uninterested."

That is interesting.... Most of what I've seen (online and among friends) is that show only watchers are waiting anxiously for another 'Blackwater' or 'Watchers on the Wall' type epic battle episode.

The bookreaders that I know started out jazzed by all the possibilities and are getting more more depressed with every episode. As a bookreader I think I'm waiting on another 'Ghost of Harrenhall' episode where D&D manage to surprise us by subverting a truly Martinesq plotline with truly efficient and elegant writing.

I think I must hang around with snobs or short attention spans something, but they are getting bored out of their skulls

LOL yeah, the boredom, with bits of anger, is not only the problem I'm having, but also the problem that a few people that I know are also having with the show. Readers and non readers alike that I'm acquainted with are fed up with all the boredom broken up only by stupidity and anger inducing story.

Archived