The Most Beautiful Wedding in the Series

The wedding looked very lousy to me, mostly because there was almost nobody there (a freaking kennelmaster's daughter got a front-row seat!). Which goes against the whole purpose of holding the wedding at Winterfell.

That's not an aesthetical problem. It's really a plot stupidity problem. Why host a wedding for Northern Lords where the servant gets a front-row seat? Just stupid. Then again...

The wedding was beautiful. what i don't get is why there was not a lot of people at the wedding?

The wedding looked very lousy to me, mostly because there was almost nobody there (a freaking kennelmaster's daughter got a front-row seat!). Which goes against the whole purpose of holding the wedding at Winterfell.

From a plot standpoint, the Boltons don't want the Northern lords there. Men like Greatjon Umber and Wyman Manderly (*sob*) would create their own Red Wedding. Strategically, it's better to keep the guest list to devoted, loyal supporters of the Flayed Man banner.

I agree... yet at the same time I think it was seriously underplayed... We're talking about the only northern wedding in the whole ASOIAF books... the scenery was good, but gloomy in a bad way, it was gloomy too in the books but with so many important people around, the gloominess turned into veneration.

But no, we had only like a small bunch of nobodies and only four people really involved instead of lots of lords... If it had been the wedding of a couple who loved each other, it had been perfect, but this is a political, illegal and despicable union so it could be a tad different.

I thought it was an amazing wedding and had a magical touch to it. The dress was stunning and having it at night with the lanterns really set the tone. It is indeed strange that they didn't bring extras to serve as the Nothern nobles.

I didn't give two fucks about the dress :) But I did think it was a darkly beautiful scene overall. The black sky, forewarning of a Long Night perhaps? The red leaves of the wierwood, foreshadowing all the blood yet to be spilt in the North. All rather beautiful in that gloomy way.

I agree completely. In my opinion, it was the most beautiful wedding the show has ever had. I loved the scenery and the falling snow and just the overall feel of the scene itself. Sansa's dress was beautiful as well. I think I like it more than her s3 dress while marrying Tyrion. (Is there a reason why her Winterfell dress was white and her King's Landing dress was green?)

As someone else mentioned, I love the idea that Bran was there with her, since they were married at the heart tree.

From a plot standpoint, the Boltons don't want the Northern lords there. Men like Greatjon Umber and Wyman Manderly (*sob*) would create their own Red Wedding. Strategically, it's better to keep the guest list to devoted, loyal supporters of the Flayed Man banner.

I think this is the opposite of the case. The whole point of the wedding, and having it at Winterfell, is to have the Northern lords see that Roose Bolton is secure in his position as Warden of the North and that Ramsay's marriage is negating any further Stark threat. He wants them there to pay him fealty and to give added legitimacy to the affair. The Freys and Boltons were only able to pull off the Red Wedding because they had been plotting it in advance and they were on home turf with a much larger force. I don't see how the Manderlys or Umbers or any other northmen would be able to pull off anything similar, and I seriously doubt that the Boltons wouldn't be planning for any such eventuality. It's hard to tell in the show, but Roose Bolton has a substantial force at Winterfell. If you look at the wedding scene, there are almost more armed guards there than there are guests.

Of course, the real reason behind it is simply that a majority of the Northern lords weren't cast in the first place. Greatjon Umber hasn't been in the show since the first season. The showrunners have confirmed that he's alive and free, but where he is, who knows? He's probably out helping the Blackfish take a piss.

I think this is the opposite of the case. The whole point of the wedding, and having it at Winterfell, is to have the Northern lords see that Roose Bolton is secure in his position as Warden of the North and that Ramsay's marriage is negating any further Stark threat. He wants them there to pay him fealty and to give added legitimacy to the affair.

Of course, the real reason behind it is simply that a majority of the Northern lords weren't cast in the first place. Greatjon Umber hasn't been in the show since the first season. The showrunners have confirmed that he's alive and free, but where he is, who knows? He's probably out helping the Blackfish take a piss.

But the differences between the book wedding of Jeyne to Ramsay and the show wedding of Sansa to Ramsay surely matter here. Cersei wants Sansa dead. Roose certainly does not have permission from the crown to marry Ramsay to her. So Roose wants to keep the whole thing pretty quiet. In contrast, Roose had permission for the fArya marriage and had to promote it heavily to jam the fake Stark down everybody's throats.

Also, Sansa is older than Jeyne and far less scared. Sansa might have rebelled at the wedding ceremony and humiliated the Boltons. I think Roose was worrying about that when he scolded Ramsay for "disgracing himself in front of the Stark girl." Sansa already refused to drink to the toast at dinner. It is probably less risky for Roose to wait to parade Sansa around until she's pregnant or cowed or both.

And it seemed like Sansa's wedding was thrown together much more quickly than Jeyne's wedding, without as much time to send invitations and allow for lords to arrive. Since Roose knew better than to trust Littlefinger, he probably wanted a quick and quiet wedding rather than planning something bigger and slower that might get caught up in whatever betrayal LF has planned.

Further, as the books amply point out, there are issues with holing up in Winterfell with a bunch of northern lords that all hate you.

I mean, sure, it is a shame that more northern lords weren't cast and that there wasn't at least a scene of some wedding guests arriving at Winterfell and then we see them attending the wedding. But within the story the show is telling, it makes sense that Roose wouldn't invite many of the other Northern lords.

But the differences between the book wedding of Jeyne to Ramsay and the show wedding of Sansa to Ramsay surely matter here. Cersei wants Sansa dead. Roose certainly does not have permission from the crown to marry Ramsay to her. So Roose wants to keep the whole thing pretty quiet. In contrast, Roose had permission for the fArya marriage and had to promote it heavily to jam the fake Stark down everybody's throats.

Also, Sansa is older than Jeyne and far less scared. Sansa might have rebelled at the wedding ceremony and humiliated the Boltons. I think Roose was worrying about that when he scolded Ramsay for "disgracing himself in front of the Stark girl." Sansa already refused to drink to the toast at dinner. It is probably less risky for Roose to wait to parade Sansa around until she's pregnant or cowed or both.

And it seemed like Sansa's wedding was thrown together much more quickly than Jeyne's wedding, without as much time to send invitations and allow for lords to arrive. Since Roose knew better than to trust Littlefinger, he probably wanted a quick and quiet wedding rather than planning something bigger and slower that might get caught up in whatever betrayal LF has planned.

Further, as the books amply point out, there are issues with holing up in Winterfell with a bunch of northern lords that all hate you.

I mean, sure, it is a shame that more northern lords weren't cast and that there wasn't at least a scene of some wedding guests arriving at Winterfell and then we see them attending the wedding. But within the story the show is telling, it makes sense that Roose wouldn't invite many of the other Northern lords.

You raise some excellent points, and I agree that the way it went down in the show makes more sense in the world of the show. than I initially gave it credit for. Still, I feel that it raises some questions. Obviously Roose Bolton knows that the news is going to get out eventually. It makes no sense for him to go through with this marriage if he's going to keep it a secret. What makes the most sense to me is that he's waiting until after the battle of ice in order to reveal it. Arranging a marriage that he knows is going to severely strain ties with the Lannisters is kind of an odd choice though. It would have made more sense to me if he didn't just allow Littlefinger to travel to King's Landing. He seemed so cautious of him earlier in the season, reading his messages and wanting to review his outgoing ones. Now he just lets him travel to KL and doesn't suspect that he might spill the beans to Cersei? So either he trusts Littlefinger not to do that, he is too stupid to think Littlefinger will betray him, or he doesn't care whether Littlefinger betrays him. The first two options seem out of place for Roose, and if the last one is true, he might as well announce it himself and try to get the Northern lords on his side.

(Is there a reason why her Winterfell dress was white and her King's Landing dress was green?)

Margaery's dress was greenish, too. I think it must be a custom in that religion. Though I do wish Sansa were wearing the white and grey of her house rather than just white.

I actually think margaerys wedding to joffrey was nicer than sansas wedding, though interesting they both had crap endings for the bride.

the men in the background looked like Northern lords, the way they were dressed and their faces. Nobody of signifigance.

They did kind of look like Umbers to me...

As someone in another thread brought up, it's interesting to think that Bran may have attended the wedding as well.

I wonder if he'll be able to conjure up the scene next season through the Weirnet?

Even though Val was cut from the show, the line from Jon came to mind about her looking like a true Northern Princess all done up in white furs and lace.

Thank you, I knew I couldn't have been alone there. :)

The weirwood tree at Winterfell doesn't have a very elaborate face Now I'll have to watch again to see if I can spot it in the show.

the faces change, but I went over it 10 times and can't see any.

I think it's because the face faces the spring, and the ceremony was on the opposite side of the tree.

the faces change, but I went over it 10 times and can't see any.

I think it's because the face faces the spring, and the ceremony was on the opposite side of the tree.

Yes, I don't think you can see the face in Sansa's wedding.

But it is the same tree and same lake where Ned mourned Jon Aryn's death and where Hodor got his slong out - it's definitely the Winterfell Gods wood.

Sansa was wed to Ramsay in front of the Old gods, which is surely more important than her new god marriage to Tyrion for a Northerner and a Stark.

Archived