Squire: "[Loras and I] engaged in intimate relations."

High Sparrow: "You lay with him."

Squire: "That night and many others."

Loras: "Liar. He's a liar."

High Sparrow: "Is there anyone else who can support your claim?"

Squire: "Yes. Queen Margaery."

Margaery: :worried:

Squire: "She walked in on us once not long ago. She didn't seem surprised."

Cersei: "This testimony is an insult to a great house. Why should the Faith take the word of a Squire over the heir to Highgarden?"

Cersei usually overestimates her intelligence, but she is smart enough to know that the Squire's testimony has Margaery in the bag. Why defend her?

Cersei has been pretty quiet about arming the Faith Militant, shrugging it off as not my problem, inconsistent with her typical micromanaging and paranoia. Obviously she didn't want to intervene when they arrested Loras because, hey, what an insult to the Tyrells. But now that she can stand by and watch Loras and Margaery incriminate themselves... why does she speak up and attack the Faith's system? Surely she didn't have a stroke of kindness? ;)

But now that she can stand by and watch Loras and Margaery incriminate themselves... why does she speak up and attack the Faith's system? Surely she didn't have a stroke of kindness? ;)

For the same reason Olenna called out "Someone help the poor boy!" when Joffrey started choking at the PW: it was a way of distancing herself from having had anything to do with Olyvar's testimony (although let's be real, I doubt Olenna was fooled for one second).

She was just saying the right thing for the look of the thing. Of course she didn't mean it since she knew that whatever she said will not change the outcome. When you get more life experiences you'll see lots of such people in the real world.

That was obviously lied (it actually was quite clear to me that it was). She had trouble not to smile while she said it. She wasn’t enraged at all. She just said it because that way Tommen would think that Cersei was on Loras/Margeary/QoT their side. Pretty sure QoT and Margeary figured it out though.

Classic tactic to misdirect your true intentions.

Cersei jumping to defend the Tyrells instantly makes her seem innocent of being a part of the plot, I have a feeling she may protest too much which could mean some of the suspicion coming back her way,

I agree. Classic move. She definitely wanted Margaery out of the way because the words from the ole witch still haunts Cersai. Someone younger and beautiful will replace her. Besides, she knew that Margaery could be very persuasive and would mold Tommen.

Odds are she was the one who found Olyver and arranged his testimony before hand. Based on her facial expressions and tone she likely knew exactly what he was going to say. Of course the squires "proof" of the birthmark was completely stupid considering the duties of a squire, but I didn't have any problem with Cersei "playing innocent" as if she was on Margaery's side.

Is this a serious question? This was Cersei's strategy throughout season 4, to win support for her trial against Tyrion: Telling lies to cover her true intentions. The show is bad at the moment, but not quite as bad as to make it seem like Cersei means what she says ...

Odds are she was the one who found Olyver and arranged his testimony before hand. Based on her facial expressions and tone she likely knew exactly what he was going to say. Of course the squires "proof" of the birthmark was completely stupid considering the duties of a squire, but I didn't have any problem with Cersei "playing innocent" as if she was on Margaery's side.

While I fully believe he is LFs pawn, it may make sense if she is the one who "found" him so that the High Sparrow can then use that to arrest her as well.

The people saying the squire birthmark thing wasn't good enough proof, maybe the high sparrow would've thought that, but the way Loras, stupidly reacted proved his guiltiness

Getting angry over a charge isn't proof in of itself. If I called someone a child murderer who eats the flesh of their victims and pointed to their plump body as proof of it, they might get angry too.

Archived