Top 5 favorite fantasy series?

VicAndTheSquidSquad

Mark Lawrence The Broken Empire and The Red Queen's War- I'll count those together as it's the same world. If I'd have to choose, I'd choose the latter as I found Jalan's remarks absolutely gold

Joe Abercrombie- The First Law(including the standalones. Yeah, I'm cheating)

KJ Parker- The Engineering Trilogy

Scott Lynch- The Gentleman Bastard

Ian Tregillis- The Milkweed Triptych- I may be biased as I've just finished those, but damn they are impossible to put down. I finished the trilogy in 4 days. From a technical point of view I think the Alchemist stuff is better, but not finished yet and not as entertaining.

Is this too safe for the board? I mean all those authors are kind of universally loved on the board(people had problems with The Republic of Thieves but for me it was the most fun book I've ever read). I still have to read The Long Prince Quartet which I'd expect to make the list based on the opinions here. The Dagger and the Coin barely missed out but I feel it lacks a certain something. Still really solid stuff. I suppose I should put some Jemisin here as I love her books, but I've yet to finish s series from her and the stuff I'd read seems mostly like linked standalones and not series

Nope, it's perfect.

I like the Milkweed, although the publishing shit he had to go through kind of fucked up my reading pleasure for some reason.  Really like his new ones.  If you haven't read them, you should check them out. 

I don’t read much fantasy anymore so my picks are nostalgia based. I’m a slow reader so I’ve not read as much as most people here. Last, most of my fantasy reading was done between ages 10 to 15 so my list is going to be geared towards children’s literature. I took into account how much the work impacted my personal development. The staying power of a series is important to me. How well did the books hold up on re-reads? Full disclosure: I never got into Malazan. I’ve read the first three and liked them but not enough to keep going. Someone up-thread got some mess for having a vanilla list. Well, mine makes his look really sophisticated and obscure.

5. A Song of Ice and Fire

This one made the best first impression of any book I’ve ever read. From the very beginning with the three men of the Night’s Watch something just “clicked”. The characters are so complex that they seem like real people. These books have the right amount of realism and magic. Martin is an unbelievable wordsmith and writes in an episodic way that leaves you wanting more.  I know these books are wildly popular but I still think the series is underrated in that they are more literate than many people give it credit for. My only two issues are that it didn’t hold up well on the re-read and A Dance With Dragons left me cold.

Favorite book: A Game of Thrones. Just threw me for a loop. Everything about this was magical from the finding of the direwolves to the birth of the dragons.  I like this one a bit better that the others because it is bit more focused and concise. I couldn’t put the book down and had to force myself to slow down.

Favorite moment: The whole episode when Arya and the Hound confront Polliver and the Tickler. The Hound has always been my favorite character and this whole sequence of events perfectly encompasses his character. He’s angry and in a lot of pain and in his heart of hearts is just a scared child that wants to be a good guy. That really touched me-when he was lying up against the tree begging Arya to kill him.

4. Earthsea

I’ve only read the first three so this might be cheating. The somber tone and relaxed pacing set a tone different from other fantasy books. Even in the Farthest Shore where there is more action everything feels laid back. This is a major aspect of the books to me as it allows you to think about the themes while you are reading. I love the thoughts on the power of language and names. The culture of Eathsea is fascinating as it does not have the usual medieval setting. This is one those books that is supposed to be for children but adults would get a lot out of it.

Favorite book: Tombs of Atuan. Kind of a weird pick because I thought it was major disappointment after reading Wizard of Earthsea. After the re-read my appreciation for it went way up. The travels through the tombs created a perfect atmosphere of terror and claustrophobia. The Nameless Ones are great villains as they represent all the bad thoughts of our psyche. Everyone can relate to Tenar. How painful is it to discover that what you have served is wrong?

Favorite moment: When Ged fails to save the child in A Wizard of Earthsea. The whole scene is painful. We have all had moments in our life when we have disappointed others or failed to live up to their expectations. The father’s unwavering confidence in Ged is a great setup for the brutal conclusion. This is reminder that even the greatest people experienced great failures.

3. Memory Sorrow and Thorn

I read an interview where Martin said he was somewhat influenced by this work. I can see where he got some of his inspiration (thrithings for the dothraki, Ingen Jegger for the Hound, etc….).  This is one book that really improved on the re-read. There is just something incredibly enjoyable about it that I cannot describe. There are tons of slow parts (travelling in the tunnels of the Hayholt) but these parts make the good parts that much better. I love the characters even though they are more archetypal than most people would like in high fantasy. Deornoth is a fictional character I would aspire to emulate.

Favorite Book: The Dragonbone Chair. Despite the slow beginning the way the world is shown is wonderful. All the different nations of Osten Ard have a real world counterpart (Nabban-Rome, Rimmersgard-Nordic countries, etc….) which I found comforting. That’s why I like this book so much, it is comforting. All the elements of an adventure story and a coming of age journey are present. Everything is familiar but presented in a fresh way.  Sort of like the new Star Wars.

Favorite moment: Not to sound creepy, but when Miriamele nestles next to Simon. Just a touching scene. I think everyone aspires to that kind of affectionate relationship. I know everyone loves that first thrill of falling in love. It might be cliché, but I was rooting for Simon and Miriamele to fall for each other.

2. The Chronicles of Narnia

I love this series for all of its flaws (and maybe even because of them). Even though Tolkien disagreed, I like the mix of allegory and myth. It is so goofy as to be enjoyable in a trainwreck sort of way. The author’s fears and prejudices shine through giving the series a strange dark element. This series can be horrifying, especially for children. Everything is mostly black and white and deals in absolutes. That’s comforting sometimes.

Favorite book: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. One the first books I read. I kept looking for chasms into magical worlds after I read this. Just a great adventure story for kids. Also, a lot for adults. It’s interesting-the religious allegory against a patchwork backdrop of myths. The Fimbulwinter, stone statues, the white stag-all stuff I had to learn about after reading this book.

Favorite moment:  Puddleglum’s speech while resisting the Queen of Underland. Just a powerful scene. All that was needed to break the spell was a little courage. He is one my favorite characters and embodies qualities I admire. He’s sincere and never wavers even when all those around him have given in or given up hope.   

1. Lord of the Rings

The greatest piece of literature of all time. Transcends being a series a fantasy novels and enters the realm of myth. Even though it is wildly popular it is criminally underrated. Much more nuanced than people give it credit for. If you sit down and think about it, you have to have sympathy for the bad guys. Frodo is an interesting protagonist as he spends most of the story getting beat up.

Favorite Book: The Two Towers (counting books 3 and 4 as one). A tough choice but I pick this one because the pacing is so good. Fellowship took a while to get going and Return drug out the ending. Boromir’s send off is touching and the shadow of his temptation hangs over the remainder of the fellowship. In the back of everyone’s mind is that there is no hope as long as the ring exists. Smeagol’s interaction with the two hobbits is powerful. One can understand him and one cannot.

Favorite Moment: When Sam and Frodo are travelling on the crossroads in Ithilien and they come across the defaced statue. The sun shines on the severed head of the statue and Frodo says “They cannot conquer forever”.  A small instance but one I will always remember. I don’t even know why.

No particular order, these are the series I've probably re-read the most:

1. ASOIAF

2. Erikson/Esslemont

3. Wheel of Time

4. Black Company

5.  Deed of Paksenarrion

My embarrassing favorite (not that anyone asked) would have to be the Legend of Drizzt books.  I know they're bad........ i get that..... but i love me some Dwarves!  Drizzt is kind of annoying and moody, but i love Bruenor, Pwent (Me King!), and Pikel (Me Brudder!).  Yes I've read all the books including the last one Arch Mage and have already pre-ordered Maestro which comes out in April.   Addiction is a disease, its not my fault.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9 January 2016 at 5:59 AM, ser naes yennet said:

1 - ASoIaF

2 - Riftwar Cycle

3 - The Demon Cycle

4 - The Kingkiller Chronicles

5 - Incarnations of Immortality

also a big fan of:

The Iron Druid

Tales of the Kin

The Broken Empire

The Fallen Blade

Apprentice Adept

Magic Kingdom of Landover

I was enjoying the Iron Druid series until the start of hammered when he tricked the giant squirrel. I was worried at some point the squirrel would come to harm. So I stopped reading. 

Heh, I like squirrels. So sue me. :)

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015 at 6:46 PM, Stinkhole said:

I

4. Earthsea

I’ve only read the first three so this might be cheating. The somber tone and relaxed pacing set a tone different from other fantasy books. Even in the Farthest Shore where there is more action everything feels laid back. This is a major aspect of the books to me as it allows you to think about the themes while you are reading. I love the thoughts on the power of language and names. The culture of Eathsea is fascinating as it does not have the usual medieval setting. This is one those books that is supposed to be for children but adults would get a lot out of it.

Favorite book: Tombs of Atuan. Kind of a weird pick because I thought it was major disappointment after reading Wizard of Earthsea. After the re-read my appreciation for it went way up. The travels through the tombs created a perfect atmosphere of terror and claustrophobia. The Nameless Ones are great villains as they represent all the bad thoughts of our psyche. Everyone can relate to Tenar. How painful is it to discover that what you have served is wrong?

Favorite moment: When Ged fails to save the child in A Wizard of Earthsea. The whole scene is painful. We have all had moments in our life when we have disappointed others or failed to live up to their expectations. The father’s unwavering confidence in Ged is a great setup for the brutal conclusion. This is reminder that even the greatest people experienced great failures.

The Tombs of Atuan does have one of my favourite ever bits of magic, when Ged breaks out of the Tombs with Tenar.

I wouldn't recommend Tehanu, but the prequel novella The Finder, is excellent. 

On 1/8/2016 at 2:14 PM, Triskan said:

I've  only read through book 2 of Abraham's Dagger and Coin, but it feels like it has the potential to vault up into my top five.

It's now in my top 3, top if you include completely finished series.  Only ones I enjoy more are ASOIAF and Fitz & Fool/Live Traders, but neither of those are completely done yet.

52 minutes ago, aceluby said:

It's now in my top 3, top if you include completely finished series.  Only ones I enjoy more are ASOIAF and Fitz & Fool/Live Traders, but neither of those are completely done yet.

Only a year or so to wait! :D 

I've made a start on Dagger and Coin. Read the first book which I thought was a very strong start to the series. Planning to continue, probably make it part of my summer reading

Can't remember if I posted in the great dead period...but I will add my $.02.

For people of a certain age, Lord of the Rings is simply not open to rational discussion or critique. It shares a place in popular culture along with Catcher in the Rye, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band...works that simply transcend their intended genre and literally become their own genre. They are of a unique time, but ultimately timeless. I can mark my life by before and after with these works.

Now, with the less esoteric list thingee (people do love lists)

In no particular order:

The Broken Empire --- Mark Lawrence. A Distopian Future...An empire without an emperor...a king of the dead in the drowned English Isles...and an angry, psychopathic young man bent om revenge. Jorg Ancarth is not anti-heroic..he'd have to be somewhat heroic for that. But he is unrelenting, angry, and, interestingly makes the ultimate sacrifice for...love?

The First Law --- Joe Abercrombie. Is this the story of Logen Nine-Fingers, a barbarian running from his bloody past into a bloody future?  Jezal dan Luther, a spoiled, arrogant gadfly who stumbles into a destiny he is not suited for? Sand Dan Glokta, the crippled torturer who was once a hero of the Kingdom? Bayaz...the puppetmaster? Some of the best drawn secondary characters also. pLUS---The Bloody Nine is iconic.

The Acts of Caine --- Matt Stover  Not sure if this is Fantasy or Sci-fi, but Hari Michaelson/Dominic Shade/Jonathan Fist/Caine is the most compelling anti-hero/hero/demi-god/enemyofGod/God/super asshole ever.

The Farseer/Fitz and the Fool Cycle --- Robin Hobb  Sometime you just want to slap Fitz upside the head, but this is good stuff.

A Song of Ice and Fire --- GRRM  If the Winds of Winter isn't better than A Dance With Dragons...there might be problems. 

6 minutes ago, Crowjack said:

The Acts of Caine --- Matt Stover  Not sure if this is Fantasy or Sci-fi, but Hari Michaelson/Dominic Shade/Johnathan Fist/Caine is the most compelling anti-hero/hero/demi-god/enemyofGod/God/super asshole ever.

:agree: I've never fallen in love with a bad person so fast. One of fantasy's most interesting protagonists, and probably my favorite.

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 3:45 PM, First of My Name said:

:agree: I've never fallen in love with a bad person so fast. One of fantasy's most interesting protagonists, and probably my favorite.

Hoping Stover will revisit this series...soon.

47 minutes ago, Crowjack said:

Hoping Stover will revisit this series...soon.

Me too, me too... He said something on Facebook about this a few months ago, I believe the essence was that while the Acts of Caine series is over, there's a possibility that he'll return to the world those books are set in. 'The Acts of Caine are over, but the Age of Caine is just beginning,' I believe is what he said. So I guess we're both in and out of luck?

Ok,my first posting and I am slightly drunk so forgive any misspelled words ok? here is my top 5. 1 the Black company by Glen Cook.If you have never read Cook you have no idea what a fun read you are missing.The taken are the most entertaining villians I have read-There are really no GOOD guys in the series,check it out and be entertained. 2Asoif- nothing needs to said-you all know.3 The Riftwar saga-grabbed me from the start with Pug and Tomas.4 Tarzan novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs-The Tarzan in the novels hasn`t ever made it to the movies fully,you get lost civilizations,dinosaurs and even lost Roman civilizations in the novels,5 Shannara-bleak and dark look into the future very entertaining,edspecially the heritage of Shannara novels.Hopefully some of you guys will check out the stuff you haven`t read and enjoy these stories like I have,oh, Lord of the Isles by David Drake and Memory,Sorrow and Thorn really deserve to be on the list too,but my number 1 advise is check out the Black Company,I think it`s  the most underrated fantasy out there-you will love Lady and Croaker,one eye and Goblin and soulcatcher

yup.Brooks is pretty bleak,Cook does that too-one of the his Black Company books is titled Bleak seasons,lmao,MTV seems to being a little better with Shannara Than the Goodkind adaption was,Allanon wasn`t what he should have been in the episodes I saw,though

Archived