[Book Spoilers] EP507 Discussion

Ran

Everything about that episode was bad. Aside from Tyene's rack. Still though, it was probably the best one so far. Which is sad.

Hey, did anyone else notice how NO ONE remembers Balon? While trying to get the Stannimal to burn Shireen, Mel brings up how her magic killed Robb and Joffrey. Why didn't Stannis say "actually, I just remembered, didn't you say Balon would die too? Like, two years ago? What happened to that guy?"? Show Melisandre wouldn't be able to respond with anything other than "Uh...".

She was basically saying that if the Tyrell's go down because of Cersei she has no incentive to not reveal the whole killing Joffrey plot to the world. Aka, " LF you better have something good". LF put Lancel into play. It was forshadowed when they met up last episode.

i think LF was referring to sweet robin not lancel. As if he was offering him marriage... From my perspective lancel squealed to the high septon long ago when he first "cleansed" himself, the HS has now just been playing cersei until she was no longer useful. But maybe I'm wrong...

Ill quit. I warn them.

Yeah, I think the idea was introduced in this episode so that it would be revisited when things get really desperate for Stannis. If he just rejects the idea and Melisandre accepts his rejection with nothing further coming of it, that would beg the question of why the burning issue was raised in the first place.

Shireen, you in danger, girl.

It looks like in the previews is Sansa again pleading to Reek to help her out. If she has to threaten Theon with the knife she grabbed, I dont think Theon would be helping her willingly.

Or else she threatens her own life in front of Theon...

It looks like in the previews is Sansa again pleading to Reek to help her out. If she has to threaten Theon with the knife she grabbed, I dont think Theon would be helping her willingly.

Or else she threatens her own life in front of Theon...

pleading ?? more like threatening

she is doing exactly what the spearwives were doing

Strangely, I found myself not hating the Sand Snakes this episode, though the fact that they shared a scene with Bronn likely helped... kudos to Jerome Flynn, who does have a lovely voice, the scene opening on him singing cracked me up pretty good. Tyene's sorta introduction in that scene was played out much better than Obara's earlier in the season with her uh, monologue. Which means we're due for some sort of exposition about Nymeria soon? If the trend continues, anyway.

I was most struck by Jonathan Pryce's portrayal of High Sparrow this episode. He's been good all season but he really got to shine this week. So glad they included the few and the many dialogue, and you get a sense of doom when he says to Cersei, "what will we find when we strip away your finery?" That whole scene was excellently acted. I also finally felt like I was getting a taste of the unadulterated Book!Cersei this week, with minimal whitewashing, which was a treat. Having her be the last scene in the episode was a fine choice. Also notable in King's Landing was Tommen. I liked his actor this time around, particularly his line, "I love her... I can't save her." He may be under the spell of his wife, but it was nicely portrayed all the same. Made even sadder by the fact that his mother is actually ruining what happiness he thinks he has by her machinations, and she says she does it all for him. :drunk:

SO GLAD the fucking candle in the window thing can die now, I knew that shit wasn't going to work out. I really hope Sansa can think of some way to get herself out. She's working on Theon, which I'm almost glad for because in a way she's rescuing herself by trying to use him as her way out, she doesn't have to be 100% the damsel (I'm grasping at straws here but jfc I don't want her just to be powerless and saved by someone else through no wits of her own...). By next episode's preview I have a feeling she's going ot have to think of a Plan B, C, etc.

But, this episode she did still prod at Ramsey about his coming baby brother, which makes me wonder if she will get to have some sort of revenge on the Boltons (even if the target ends up being Fat Walda :frown5: ) though pushing his buttons. Also, I missed it, but during the scene with Ramsey, she grabbed something... was it a weapon or... ? I imagine it'll come into play, so I'll have to rewatch that part.

The biggest oh hell no moment for me was Melisandre bold as brass suggesting to Stannis right out hey let's burn your daughter alive. I thought for sure she'd get that idea going through Selyse, but she brings it to Stannis who's like yeah no, get out of my tent. I'm blindly hoping that means he keeps Shireen safe, knowing that's Melisandre's goal. Up til now the show has more subtly (sorta) hinted at Shireen's death, but now that it's out in the open I wonder if it won't happen?

Finally, yay Ghost came back!! But that also means he didn't go to Hardhome with Jon... :crying:

And Tyrion met Dany. Holy shit, but that's awesome!

i agree there was a reason for Sansa finding out about Jon... Pretty clear castle black will be her intended destination when she escapes. Whether she gets there or if she gets there before Jon gets back who knows.

Well, maybe we're still getting a Pink Letter.

Jon comes back with the wildlings, hears about Sansa, the "demise" of Stannis, and you have all the pieces set to the *stab stab stab*...

Why do you think that? I think Olenna is gonna get her shithooks into him before all is said and done.

Well the are a lot of hints, the flash back, the fact that now Tommen has no one to protect him, Olenna being mad. Also i feel that way they could finally transform Cersei into the "mad Queen" and let her "burn cities to the ground"

But Sam tried to save her and got sex, which is of course what every woman wants to do right after escaping a double rape.

Well worked for Tyrion and Tysha.

Also they did not just meet either. They been through somethings together. She know who Sam is but Sam was not going her to be harm her even if it will kill him.

I thought it was a great episode. I absolutely hated the rape last week but of all possible directions to take from it, that was the best one. She didn't brush it off as a chance to get revenge. She doesn't look stronger. She's a helpless trapped victim. The show is treating it with gravity. Sansa has become Jeyne Poole.

Too bad about Theon. The show can't do redemption arcs very well. No one will sympathize with him now.

Still don't know how causing an erection made the poison go into effect but I did enjoy watching it happen

Heart rate increases and blood flow is significantly altered. Getting him worked up would spread the poison faster.

I'm wondering if "the antidote" was more of a treatment than a cure... If he needs repeated doses, the SS own him now.

You think I'm stretching it to say attempted rape isn't an aphrodisiac?

You think she went down on him because she was horny? LOL. You know women have sex for hundreds of different reasons. They'll even do it for mercy or pity. Yup. For Gilly, I would say it was more for gratitude.

Everything about that episode was bad. Aside from Tyene's rack. Still though, it was probably the best one so far. Which is sad.

Hey, did anyone else notice how NO ONE remembers Balon? While trying to get the Stannimal to burn Shireen, Mel brings up how her magic killed Robb and Joffrey. Why didn't Stannis say "actually, I just remembered, didn't you say Balon would die too? Like, two years ago? What happened to that guy?"? Show Melisandre wouldn't be able to respond with anything other than "Uh...".

Yeah, good point, plus thought Yara was to turn up this episode.

I actually didn't mind the Gilly scene tonight because I didn't find it gratuitous. It's reaffirms Sam and Gilly's bond, and it establishes the reason for why Sam is going to take Gilly south later this season (Clearly Jon is sending him to Oldtown later).

I think it would have been far more rewarding for the audience if D&D had written a romantic scene leading up to their copulation, rather than relying on yet another exploitation film trope.

I think that Sansa mentioned him. If Melisandre brought him up, though, casual viewers would have started to wonder too much themselves.