[Book Spoilers] EP507 Discussion

Ran

Haven't watched it but based on the recaps and comments here, it seems that was a good choice. I really hope they don't make Sansa pregnant. That would be truly adding insult to injury for that character. I would hope she'd abort it with moon tea, miscarry, or even give it to someone who wants a baby. I mean Roose is a sociopath and violent man, Ramsay is a psychopathic man with homicidal tendencies, it's a pretty big chance a baby would have some form of personality disorder too. I don't want Sansa to have to raise the next Ramsay or Joffrey, because the genetics are not in her favor. Jeez, I never thought we would be here, talking about a possible rape baby with Ramsay Bolton.

Edited by rosehustle1

the women (Mel, Selyse and Shireen) are not going with him but staying further back instead so it's possible Melisandre will get word that Stannis died even though he didn't. And then she'll burn poor Shireen asking her lord to bring back the one who will lead the battle against the dead and Jon will open his eyes.

Love that theory!!!

HouseHarrison........<3 you! Always look forward to your analysis!

Hey all! I'm once again here this week to tell you why this episode was again crap, rated PG-13 for mods!

-Dorne is still 1 small city in the intro. Did D&D really go this many episodes without a map?

Not the first time.

-Thorne is first ranger despite never having been a ranger. BRAVO, D&D. I think they just apply ranks to named characters they actually know about without any thought to it.

Jon appoints him first ranger in an earlier episode. In the books, Jon sends him ranging beyond the wall.

-Theon is an awful Reek in this show. He knows he's Theon and just says Reek to not piss Ramsay off. He's not the insane wretch who literally thinks he's Reek and Theon is a separate person. And no, the changes he goes through in the books don't count because at this ep proved he's still at the point he's still loyal to Ramsay. Can we also talk about how shitty the Sansa-Theon dynamic is? Sansa just towers over Theon and orders him around and shakes him angrily. The mutual heartbreak, their bonding in misery, and the general atmosphere of tragedy that loomed over Theon and Jeyne in the books is gone. This feels so hollow as a replacement.

Wrong

-Aemon just sort of dies after 5 minutes with no explanation. How underwhelming . We weren't even aware he was dying last episode. D&D treated this like something they forgot about then suddenly had to go through the motions about. And what he was even wrong with him anyway? WHO KNOWS! Plotitis. Do they really think including a fan-favorite quote would change how bad this was?

Explanation? He's over 100 years old. The physics of this is not complicated.

Before this season, I wouldn't have thought much of it, but the way they suddenly started putting multiple hints in from the first episode of this season, it's strange. The phrase hasn't really been used that much the rest of the series. I truly believe it is intentional. However, it could just be intentional to mess with readers, to add speculation like in the books. The shift to adding gratitous R+L=J hints in this season has been noticeable. The question is why.

(PS, my original post, which is 3 pages back by now, was that I think having both Sansa and Gilly desperately plead "Promise me" in the same episdoe, after all the other R+L=J teasers that have suddenly been appearing in this season, was a ridiculously obvious reference to the theory.)

hmm I honestly didn't even catch that but it could be, but if so it was very subtle, I mean unsullied viewers have no idea of the meaning of promise me yet and I doubt when it is revealed they'll remember those two lines. But maybe just an Easter egg for book readers?

I think the gratuitous hints being dropped this season are really just a way for D&D to try and play the same game GRRM did- allowing viewers/readers the opportunity to piece together the clues to solve the mystery before it's revealed. I mean readers knowing what we know think these things are obvious and there may be some smart unsullied who pick up on it but the majority won't, so the hints at least provide some foreshadowing/set up to a reveal and they can say "ooh it all fits together now!" rather than "who the heck is rhagear and lyanna?"

So, his gift is to convince Olyvar to admit to perjury after he's seen Marjery locked up for the same offense (at the same hearing)?

That would spring Marg and Loras immediately, but I'd like to see how LF convinces him to do this.

yeah doesn't make sense... Plus isnt he still in the High Sparrow's clutches? Or is his confession/testimony enough to completely free him? I'm still banking on his referring to sweet robin.

I think Mel's sacrifices Shireen to save Jon's life...

that would be interesting, I mean assuming stannis does die you have to wonder what happens to shireen. I think it would depend on if Davos makes it... Maybe he pulls a gendry part 2 and steals her away from Selyse and Mel? Otherwise there's not many other foreseeable outcomes.

Sorry if this was brought up but the search function isn't working. The High Sparrow made a mention to being blind in one eye and that made me think of Bloodraven. Am I crazy?

this topic is book spoilers yes? Mance Rayder is not dead, Giantsbane is not in Castle Black, I should not go on. Bran contacts Theon through Winterfell's heart tree. Mel, Shireen, and Selyse are not on the march with Stannis. Jon treats with an Iron Bank representative, for ships and gold. There is so much it's ridiculous

But Sam tried to save her and got sex, which is of course what every woman wants to do right after escaping a double rape.

I just finished rewatching season 1 a few days ago. Shae said exactly that, concerning Tysha:

Shae: You should have known she was a whore.

Tyrion: Really? I was sixteen, drunk and in love.

Shae: A girl who is almost raped doesn't invite another man into her bed two hours later.

Tyrion: As I said, I was young and stupid.

Shae: You are still young and stupid.

Edited by Terez

Sorry if this was brought up but the search function isn't working. The High Sparrow made a mention to being blind in one eye and that made me think of Bloodraven. Am I crazy?

Nope. I went there too. Also, Euron if we ever get IB back.

The R+L=J hints are awkwardly obvious now. "Promise me." So a desperate Sansa and a desperate Gilly both use that line in a single episode. Wow/eye-rolling. I bet they thought they were so clever.

YES! Thank you for also noticing.

Also the very first episode of Season 1, Cat reminds Bran to "Promise me! No climbing!" I think D&D have known about this since day 1 and are just getting stronger with these sort of easter eggs for book fans