[Book Spoilers] EP507 Discussion

Ran

I wonder at times if people hate the show so much, why do they tune in every week and then spend their time breaking down every detail and why it's inferior. If you dislike it that much, just stop. Sure the show has it's flaws, but it's still entertaining me. Heck, I'm just glad we're finally getting new material after all this time even if it's like this.

:cheers:

What exactly Mel offers to Stannis by burning Shireen? What will that accomplish?

A sacrifice to the lord of light. "There is power in King's blood."

Yeah, that's an awfully obvious thread to just leave hanging. That situation will come to a head soon I think.

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

What exactly Mel offers to Stannis by burning Shireen? What will that accomplish?

The implication to me seemed to be it would "quiet" the storm and allow Stannis to move on Winterfell more quickly. But yes, that was left pretty vague lol.

Finally finished reading all 45 pages, as I've said elsewhere this was my favourite episode so far by some way. Having now watched a second time did anyone else find it odd that Dany is squirming at the pits yet in every other episode she is heading towards madness and feeds one of the Mereenese masters to a dragon yet cannot watch the fighters kill one another?

Finally finished reading all 45 pages, as I've said elsewhere this was my favourite episode so far by some way. Having now watched a second time did anyone else find it odd that Dany is squirming at the pits yet in every other episode she is heading towards madness and feeds one of the Mereenese masters to a dragon yet cannot watch the fighters kill one another?

The implication to me seemed to be it would "quiet" the storm and allow Stannis to move on Winterfell more quickly. But yes, that was left pretty vague lol.

Like Stannis, I don't know why blood from a leach, which can kill kings in far off lands, isn't enough.

That was bad writing, IMO. She gets selectively outraged, not unlike GOT fans.

Bronn's singing was the highlight of the episode.

Dug the Reek betrayal. Kinda dumb that Sansa went from Darth Sansa back to Season 1/2 Sansa.

I don't get what people are clamoring for with Sansa. She did one "manipulative" thing last season and everyone was suddenly expecting her to become this big player. I also don't get where people see that in book Sansa. I assume GRRMs plan is to make her more of a player eventually, but so far even book Sansa has barely started getting there.

I don't get what people are clamoring for with Sansa. She did one "manipulative" thing last season and everyone was suddenly expecting her to become this big player.

Because those were the expectations raised by the people on the show itself, including the writers.

Because those were the expectations raised by the people on the show itself, including the writers.

Oh in that case, why are we even waiting for the sixth book? I'm sure GRRM has said in interviews that he is planning ASOIAF to be a trilogy. I honestly don't even understand what Im supposed to do with those other two books. Also didn't George Lucas say he would never let somebody else do Star Wars? That The Force Awakens thingy must be a fan film.

Edited by ilikemyself

Yeah, don't have her saving LF's backside last season, then having that cool conversation with him, and then that final shot of her "new look" on the stairs which was clearly meant to tease the audience with "Sansa has arrived," only to pull this crap. Also, if you're going to try, come up with a better justification for it.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid Gilly! Argh! You *****, he told you thousand times this is not your places, they are going to hurt you and I can't stop them. But no, you are a romantic *****, 'we will ilwiys stiy tigithir', ****. I hope she gave one nice apology BJ to him after that.

I don't get what people are clamoring for with Sansa. She did one "manipulative" thing last season and everyone was suddenly expecting her to become this big player. I also don't get where people see that in book Sansa. I assume GRRMs plan is to make her more of a player eventually, but so far even book Sansa has barely started getting there.

Blame the show-writers. The way her story was going it made it appear that she was in the process of changing, and that scene backed up this idea. Her becoming a player isn't unreasonable, after everything she's gone through. Never expected her to become QoT or Littlefinger, but going from playing the Lords of the Vale to trusting your potential escape to a 'man' who betrayed your family and became your enemies' lapdog shows no growth as a game-player. Where's the character development here? All we're given is that Sansa is capable of handling physical, psychological, and emotional pain and torture well enough - a fact which we were already aware of.

Book Sansa is in a whole different boat and like the books is now irrelevant. The books have served their purpose, but the producers' endgame knowledge takes over from here completely.

Edited by Cz-99

Yeah, don't have her saving LF's backside last season, then having that cool conversation with him, and then that final shot of her "new look" on the stairs which was clearly meant to tease the audience with "Sansa has arrived," only to pull this crap. Also, if you're going to try, come up with a better justification for it.

Half of what youre saying is just your interpretation. I didn't get any of that from her last shot in s4. I interpreted it more as LF possibly falling for her. And to her saving LF: She lied to some random Vale-lords, I don't see how that makes her the scheming badass, everybody seems to want.

Don't have Tyrion become the savior of KL only to have him fall from grace later.

Don't have Cat say "We'll kill them all" in season 1 only have her life fall apart and cut her throat later.

Don't have Robb kicking southron arse all over the river lands just to kill him off at a wedding.

Don't make Oberyn a charismatic, likable kick ass character just to crush his skull.

Don't capture Jamie Lannister just to cut him loose.

Jesus, it's like unless a characters story is a continuous, uninterrupted, unidirectional progression, there's just "no way".

in the books the purpose for gilly leaving with Sam was because of the danger she was in between the wildlings and the NW. We complain when d&d don't stay true to the source material but here they basically have- Only difference is that instead of talking about it they provide some action to translate better on the screen.

I still take issue with your insinuation that d&d "fall back" on this type of plot device when in fact it is quite faithful to the books. Can you name any time they have done this where it wasn't in some way faithful to the books? I'm trying to think of one but can't...

That wasn't the impression I got.

It was because Red Mel wanted to burn Dalla's baby (The son of the "King" Beyond the Wall) and Jon knew that once she figured out the switch, there would be no reason for her to burn Craster's kid.

The fact that he needed a new Maester and Gilly didn't really belong at Castle Black were just bonuses.