[Book Spoilers] EP507 Discussion

Ran

Yes, they could have. However, Ned's being executed is one of the most significant plot points of the story D&D are adapting.

Having Gilly attacked in order to get her in bed with Sam isn't.

Gilly was attacked so Sam would have urgency to take Gilly away from CB. The sex thing was going to happen sooner or later.

Edited by The Scabbard Of the Morning

Well, D&D are screwed either way. If Sansa appears to be a stronger person for her rape, it will be decried as the "rape as empowerment" trope. If Sansa is traumatized by her rape, it will be decried as more of "Sansa as victim." If Sansa shrugged off the rape with no apparent ill effects, it will be decried as trivializing the suffering of rape victims.

I agree, this was a no win situation for them, but they did bring it on them selves.

"Promise Me"

Does anyone else hear the echos of those words, "Promise me..."?

Sansa said it, Gilly said it, Cat said it to Bran in the very first episode... I'm sure there has been more references to those words throughout the seasons, I'm sure of it.

With all of this R+L=J foreshadowing, this has to be a nod to Lyanna begging Ned "Promise me!"

Count me as one of those who hopes the High Sparrow knew about Cersei and Lancel and waited until the right moment to snare her.

While the offer LF made to Olenna was vague, I think it was Sweet Robin and the troops of the Vale. In order for LF to complete his rise, the Lannisters have to fall completely. The only reason it might have been Gendry would be for the same reason Ned Stark went looking for him - the physical description of Robert's true children. The book on the HS's alter looked suspiciously like the book Ned read as well as his predecessor.

If Sansa leaves WF as winter sets in the only logical destination would be Castle Black. But what would she find there?

I like the idea of Jamie and Cersei's incest to be made public, all the way to Dorne and Meereen. That would force Jamie to confirm to Mrycella her parentage and give Dany another reason to ride her dragons across the sea.

This seems a good shortcut for the directions GRRM seems to be heading. I do think Tommen isn't long for this world. Too few friends right now.

Finally excited for this season!

Ned didn't go looking for him. LF sent Ned to the "last place Jon Arron visited before he died." The blacksmith.

LF sending some random dudes into the world looking for children that kinda look like Robert? During a war? And they didn't stumble upon Yoren's caravan heading up the kings road to the wall?

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I agree, this was a no win situation for them, but they did bring it on them selves.

No, I definitely agree they brought it on themselves.

As for the "why" of Sansa's rape--Sansa's rapes, I guess, based on what we learned tonight--I'm leaning towards the theory that Book Sansa becomes pregnant and that this whole Ramsay/Sansa plot was contrived in the absence of the Harry storyline to ensure that TV Sansa would be pregnant as well.

Gilly was attacked so Sam would have urgency to take Gilly away from CB. The sex thing was going to happen sooner or later.

How about linking to the quote I'm addressing.

Maybe you prefer cut and paste...

There are plenty of ways to argue that an outpost at the northern edge of civilization preparing to repel an invasion of ice zombies as what is likely to be the harshest winter in living memory begins to set in is not the best place for a mother and child without having a couple of random dudes try to rape Gilly.

They kind of make Sansa too stupid in the show. In the books she was a young lady influenced by songs and tales. I don't know why she would go to Theon for help. I could understand if Theon told Sansa the truth about her little brothers, but Sansa still believes he killed them, and she thinks she can get Theon to do her dirty work by calling him "Theon Greyjoy" as if she believes there is great honor in that house. It just doesn't make sense to me.

The scene with Bronn and the Sand Snake was lame imo.

Was Stannis trying to make one of those black ghosts again, or did they actually show a horny Stannis again?......

Everything else was really good. I thought Aemon and the HIgh Sparrow were the best parts. The actor who plays the High Sparrow nails every scene.

EDIT: I also thought the Gilly rape scene was stupid too. I thought there was no need for it, since there was a rape scene last week. It's a little much and a cheap way to implement shock factors.

Edited by Shpati

The show's...sort of gone off the rails. The changes have added up and none of it makes much sense more. The Sansa rape last week was bad enough, but now you got an attempted Gilly rape and a pointless Tyene tits scene as well? They've undone years of Sansa's character work for no apparent reason. The "friends in the North"...you're telling me this is better than Manderley and the North Remembers?

Why is Jon not taking Ghost with him on a dangerous mission?

No, I definitely agree they brought it on themselves.

As for the "why" of Sansa's rape--Sansa's rapes, I guess, based on what we learned tonight--I'm leaning towards the theory that Book Sansa becomes pregnant and that this whole Ramsay/Sansa plot was contrived in the absence of the Harry storyline to ensure that TV Sansa would be pregnant as well.

The problem with this, though, is that Sansa being pregnant with Harry's child could have some significance to the later plot. For argument's sake, if Jon became King he could legitimize her child, at which point that baby would be heir to the Vale, or lord if Harry and Robin are dead by then. There is absolutely no purpose to Sansa getting pregnant with a child by Ramsay Snow. The baby becomes heir to the Dreadfort...who cares?

As for the boy that Littlefinger was talking about, I assumed he meant Olyvar. If he is not being held by the Faith, Littlefinger could give him to Olenna, who could have Olyvar killed, or force him to recant his testimony.

I think the Stannis plot is actually pretty great right now. I don't think Stannis is going to hurt Shireen, and his final no to Melisandre will be what pushes her into thinking that he is not actually the Lord of Light, and then she will go back to the Wall in ep 10. Selyse falling to the ground in the snow is from when Melisandre leaves, I think. Selyse will probably burn Shireen after Melisandre leaves, maybe in the middle of the battle with the Bolton forces. I am guessing the season ends with Stannis killing Selyse, or dying himself.