[Book Spoilers] EP507 Discussion

Ran

I thought it was a great episode. I absolutely hated the rape last week but of all possible directions to take from it, that was the best one. She didn't brush it off as a chance to get revenge. She doesn't look stronger. She's a helpless trapped victim. The show is treating it with gravity. Sansa has become Jeyne Poole.

Too bad about Theon. The show can't do redemption arcs very well. No one will sympathize with him now.

How is that the best?

I thought it was a great episode. I absolutely hated the rape last week but of all possible directions to take from it, that was the best one. She didn't brush it off as a chance to get revenge. She doesn't look stronger. She's a helpless trapped victim. The show is treating it with gravity. Sansa has become Jeyne Poole.

Too bad about Theon. The show can't do redemption arcs very well. No one will sympathize with him now.

How is that the best?

i think LF was referring to sweet robin not lancel. As if he was offering him marriage... From my perspective lancel squealed to the high septon long ago when he first "cleansed" himself, the HS has now just been playing cersei until she was no longer useful. But maybe I'm wrong...

I thought the same. I didn't get what was LF offering. Sansa's whereabouts, again?

Lancel was already sold to the cause.

Yeah, I think the idea was introduced in this episode so that it would be revisited when things get really desperate for Stannis. If he just rejects the idea and Melisandre accepts his rejection with nothing further coming of it, that would beg the question of why the burning issue was raised in the first place.

Shireen, you in danger, girl.

its kind of tricky.

we have just two glimpses from team DS from the rest of the season.

stannis covered in battle blood, and selyse crying in the floor....

I really dont see were they are going with this. But it does not look good for any of them.

Thoughts on the episode:

- Sansa's plot is just rubbing salt in the wound at this point, but they have managed to get some consistency. Reek's certainly the supporting character in this though, and I don't think he'll be the hero as his book!counterpart, if only because Sansa doesn't seem to need one as much as Jeyne.

- Tyrion and Dany! They went there. I was quite shocked, to be honest. Well, It makes sense considering they are speeding up the plot along.

- Jon's very meh scene, and not fond of the Gilly/Sam scene. Could they make more obvious Olly's going to stab him?

- Stripping!Sand Snake. Well, at least it made more sense than past scenes.

- Jaime/Myrcella scene weirdly acted. Not feeling the Myrcella actress.

- KL wasn't that bad, and Cersei being arrested was interesting.

Much better than last week's. I'm happy for the end of this season.

Well the are a lot of hints, the flash back, the fact that now Tommen has no one to protect him, Olenna being mad. Also i feel that way they could finally transform Cersei into the "mad Queen" and let her "burn cities to the ground"

Hmm maybe. I still think Tommen isnt gonna bite it this season. (but hes gonna bite it fo sho)

I think Cersei is finally gonna go bonkers now that shes imprisoned. My mum is rooting for it really hard. Shes been waiting for Batshit Cersei for a while now. She keeps asking "when is she going cuckoo?" im like "SHE SHOULD BE BY NOW, STUPID SHOW!" lol

I think it would have been far more rewarding for the audience if D&D had written a romantic scene leading up to their copulation, rather than relying on yet another exploitation film trope.

agreed.

How is that the best?

Had they treated her abuse as just a difficult hurdle, it would have seemed unrealistic and a little insensitive to rape-survivors. You can still argue that it may be insensitive of the writers to have had her character assaulted in the first place but if D&D learned anything from E03 of last season, rapes should have a follow-through.

A thank you card wouldn't have sufficed? Do they not have Hallmark at the wall?

I supposed so. For someone whom she's had feelings for some time, who saved her life and her baby from a white walker and who just now was prepared to die to save her from those two men. Yup. Thank you card.

Yeah, I think the idea was introduced in this episode so that it would be revisited when things get really desperate for Stannis. If he just rejects the idea and Melisandre accepts his rejection with nothing further coming of it, that would beg the question of why the burning issue was raised in the first place.

Shireen, you in danger, girl.

Reminds me of the Greek mythology when Agamemnon sacrificed his daughter to appease the goddess for favorable winds or something. Hopefully Stannis will not do the same, but if he becomes very desperate and pressured especially when his army is dying from the winter...

You think I'm stretching it to say attempted rape isn't an aphrodisiac?

no I'm saying you are nitpicking at things that matter little... I believe the purpose of the gilly scene was to reinforce the fact that there is a growing sect within the NW that are abandoning Jon/Sam which helps set up the ides.

Plus there have been plenty of sex scenes both in show and in book that I would argue take place at less than ideal aphrodisiac conditions- I mean cripes Jon and ygritte were in an ice cave on their way to climb a 700 foot ice wall but they still had time to do the deed lol.

I'm a bit confused about the Lancel business. Lancel stated and the High Sparrow implied that he confessed all his sins when he joined up, which suggests to me that the HS knew about Cersei all along and was just waiting to spring his trap. However, Littlefinger's gift to Olenna was implied to be Lancel's testimony, and Cersei's arrest came after it's implied that Littlefinger provided information about Lancel to Olenna. So did the HS know all along, or did Olenna tip him off?

Reminds me of the Greek mythology when Agamemnon sacrificed his daughter to appease the goddess for favorable winds or something. Hopefully Stannis will not do the same, but if he becomes very desperate and pressured especially when his army is dying from the winter...

Well, one of the D's WAS involved with that gem, Troy, so............

Sansa is going to keep kneeding at Ramsay about being a bastard, and of course, shes a trueborn herself, so saying it is even worse. If shes not killing anyone, then I think she is trying to manipulate Ramsay into killing Walda so that Roose will kill Ramsay. Perhaps Ramsay, if hes out in the Baratheon camp kills/flays Shireen? Now my mind is going everywhere about that.

I am hoping that there are some lines that the show won't cross; such as showing the murder, by either fire or flaying or just a stabbing, of a young girl who we've come to know and like as a character (unlike, say, the poor bastard children of Robert, that was heart-rending, but except for Gendry, we didn't know them well from book or show). One would think they might fear to lose some viewers by slaughtering Shireen. (unless of course GRRM will do it in the future books, ugh).

Exactly. Also, Liam Cunningham said something in passing about how parts of Season 5 were really sick, like whoever thought them up needed therapy. A father burning his adorable daughter alive would certainly qualify.

I think that Sansa mentioned him. If Melisandre brought him up, though, casual viewers would have started to wonder too much themselves.

I think casual viewers are probably wondering wtf is up with Balon Greyjoy since Sansa just brought him up