[Book Spoilers] EP507 Discussion

Ran

In this history of the human species, it is arguably possible that rape comprises the majority of acts of heterosexual copulation. At least a sizable chunk.

I think one of the great ways GRRM's books are progressive is by showing the hideous nature of human history, warts and all. That not only includes rape, it puts it front and center.

Sorry, but if we can have 3 trial-by-combats in 5 seasons, I think 5 rapes in the same amount of time is perfectly reasonable. Rape was EXTREMELY common up until a few hundred years ago.

can we not keep the rape chat back on episode 6? I think everyone is heartily sick of it..

I don't he meant it like "you're not a woman, you're a girl". I thought he meant it as a joke as "you're not a woman, you're a man" because of her tomboyish look.

I'd say that too, but he did call her a little girl in the previous episode so....

In this history of the human species, it is arguably possible that rape comprises the majority of acts of heterosexual copulation. At least a sizable chunk.

I think one of the great ways GRRM's books are progressive is by showing the hideous nature of human history, warts and all. That not only includes rape, it puts it front and center.

Sorry, but if we can have 3 trial-by-combats in 5 seasons, I think 5 rapes in the same amount of time is perfectly reasonable. Rape was EXTREMELY common up until a few hundred years ago.

Not even touching this one. Good night everybody!

Edited by Pashernate Reader

No, I definitely agree they brought it on themselves.

As for the "why" of Sansa's rape--Sansa's rapes, I guess, based on what we learned tonight--I'm leaning towards the theory that Book Sansa becomes pregnant and that this whole Ramsay/Sansa plot was contrived in the absence of the Harry storyline to ensure that TV Sansa would be pregnant as well.

Which may mean she becomes Lady of the Vale,Harrenhal and or RR.

I think the odds that Shireen gets burned alive to save a dying Stannis grows by the week. I don't think Stannis will do it, but if he isn't there to save her...IDK. Know some weren't sure we would get the Pink Letter, but I think the odds just went up on it happening.

I might be making a lot of assumptions here, but IF Book Sansa marries Harry, is impregnated by him, is widowed, and Book Sweetrobin survives, she'll be in the same situation as TV Sansa: carrying a politically worthless child. At the risk of reading too much into the show, the fact that TV Sweetrobin is alive and well off screen with no poisoning plot in the offing suggests that Book Sweetrobin might not die. If Book Sweetrobin lives, then Sansa's child is the heir to nothing.

In the show, Sansa would be in a similar pickle if impregnated by Ramsay. If the other Boltons are wiped out, and the northerners are determined to ensure that no Bolton survives, Sansa's going to be carrying a child who will be the heir to precisely nothing, and Sansa will have no interest whatsoever in claiming anything on the Boltons' behalf for her child.

I get what you are saying, but it feels contrary to where Sansa's plot is going. I dunno, I just don't think there will be a baby from Sansagate, but if there is, I am guessing it will be show only, a stillborn or a miscarriage. I'm not against Sansa having a child in theory, but the show approach just doesn't work. Ever since we learned Sansa was going north in the show, I have been thinking that while Winds starts with Sansa in the Vale, she will shortly leave for the North.

....okay then.

She was 18 at the start of shooting.

Bronn mentions several times SHES NOT A WOMAN.

But hey, maybe I'm the weirdo for not liking little girls.

18-year-olds are little girls to you?

She's an adult actress who can make decisions about what to do with her own body. Don't invent controversies, please.

Edited by Takyon

Eh, now we book readers can be relegated back to the dorks we always were. There is a reason why epic fantasy was consumed by few, (relatively speaking). The casual fan, in most cases, can't be bothered by details like; fleshing out characters, or reading page upon page of set up for a plot twist, and yes, I admit, page upon page of feasts described in intimate detail! Yep, uppity book reader here, but really, while I am surprised by the way the show writer/producers have brought major details to the fore, I can't say that their style no matter which style they chose would have been unexpected. They saw a way to take an intricate story, chop it up, and make money. Martin made his choice to take the money. As an aforementioned dork, I hope Martin ends the story with his vision, not one clouded by.....sorry to say it, the soap opera version of A Song of Ice and Fire/

re-watched it, you are right, he snitched. Sansa is truely going to snap at Theon. Pittiful seeing her in that bed, crying all day, bruised and knowing what the night brings, every night.

And she is up in the morning, trying to plot to escape, and still snapping at Ramsey and knocking him down a peg as best she can.

I think the odds that Shireen gets burned alive to save a dying Stannis grows by the week. I don't think Stannis will do it, but if he isn't there to save her...IDK. Know some weren't sure we would get the Pink Letter, but I think the odds just went up on it happening.

I think we might get a "piece" of Sansa in that letter, which will send Jon over the edge and get himself... you know.

And she is up in the morning, trying to plot to escape, and still snapping at Ramsey and knocking him down a peg as best she can.

What else has she got. this is the most desperate of a situation she has had since the show began. King's Landing was a cake walk compared to this. It also seems that none of her experiences or lessons have prepared her for dealing with Ramsay Bolton.