[Poll] How would you rate episode 507?

Ran

How would you rate episode 507?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

(that whole scene happened because "the plot needed it too")

EVERYTHING in literature happens because "the plot needed it to". This isn't remotely a criticism of anything.

Why did Jon Snow have brown hair instead of silver? Because the plot needed him to.

Why did Dany survive the pyre? Because the plot needed her to.

So yeah...the plot needs Dany and Tyrion to meet. It will happen in the books, the show has simply beat them to it.

Edited by sj4iy

I give the episode an 8, the highest rating yet this season. Though I was disappointed with the fact that D&D couldn't get through a single episode after last week without once again using raping women as a plot device, just about everything else was solid to terrific, particularly Johnathan Price's performance.

Very well done I gave it an 8.

Loved the Sandsnakes once again. Would've liked more lines for Obara.

Lena Headey is just a powerful presence , fantastic actress.

Even Sansa's character was impressive this week and I rarely find her entertaining,

big improvement.

The intrigue is high in Mereen because Tyrion has finally met Dany.

The dynamic with the red priestess and Stannis is now officially uber tension ,as she

presses for a Shireen sacrifice.

Ramsay was perfectly villainous skinning Sansa's friend from the North.

Stage officially set as bleak in Winterfell.

Strong episode,

I should've probably voted a 9.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

8/10

Good episode. A bit predictable but last week we called exactly what would happen this episode.

ie aeomon dying ; sam sex scene (awkwardly gross) ; tyrion being the gift ; candle tower being a trap ; cersei getting locked up ; bronn getting an antidote -all predicted for this epi

Damn all those bruises on Sansas arms...

Sand snake #2 having nice tits offers some purpose in the show finally. Jk

On a more serious note... it is me or did anyone else expect a bigger audience for the fighting pits. LOL

Edited by abacabb

The best so far... That said... 7/10

The show still struggles with so many things:

1. Queen of Thorns' downgraded IQ

2. Dorne... Oh, Dorne...

3. Winterfell

But, for the first time this season, the episode wasn't pouring idiocy left and right...

1. HS nailed it...

2. Aemon's death was overall, nice.

3. Dany and Tyrion meet... That alone is a huge plus.

I also gave it a 7. There were parts that were just plain boring, Dorne especially, but overall it was a nice episode.

I'd go with an 8. Perhaps this benefits from being so close to last weak (pun intended) but I enjoyed it. Still too convenient at times and the saving of Bronn is very anti-GOT... but much better than its been of late.

P.S. Cinematically speaking, the shot of Aemon was terrible. Looked like his head was mounted on a wall.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

Giving it 8. I liked it, I guess. I gave last ep a 7 and this one was a step up, but I still have a terrible taste in my mouth about Winterfell.

Good:

Stannis telling Mel to stfu.

Winter is starting.

Jorah dehelming!

Cersei's comeuppance, so true to the books.

Meh:

Dany's bitchface resuming immediately upon seeing Jorah...please leave that face in season 4, Em.

Tommen

Bronn in da clink. !BOOBS! !Say I'm pretty! What did I just watch?

Bad:

Oh, hey Gho- LOL, just kidding, he's gone.

I guess I'm giving this episode another 8, but I was thinking about giving it an 9. The stuff I didn't like is stuff I haven't liked all season but the stuff I liked was very good. But I'll hedge my bets and keep it at an 8.

LIKED

--Jorah seeing Dany again and putting on his helm to go fight. Oh there goes my heart--shattering into a million little pieces. I have been waiting since Storm of Swords came out (so very long ago) for their reunion. HOWEVER. HOW-BLOODY-EVER. Did D and D READ ADWD????! No really. DID THEY?! Cause fun fact: Dany...?! Seriously misses Jorah throughout it all. She thinks about how he should be there, what good advice he gave. Yes, it's coupled with "he betrayed me.." but it's coupled with "he loved me too." This to say nothing of her hallucination on the Grass Sea in which it's Jorah who helps her remember who she is and what her words are. So her whole "get him out of my sight..." NOPE. But, I'm a sucker and Emilia played it really well and you could tell that for one heartbeat she was VERY GLAD to see him. For that alone, I'll put their reunion in "liked" and not "disliked." Now, GRRM...Write like the wind. Give me my real reunion.

--"I'm Tyrion Lannister." Well. I didn't see THAT coming. I thought he'd give himself one of his fake names.

--Jon "I Care Not What You Have To Say, Alister Thorne" Snow. Really Jon's stuff are the best bits this season. Kit has really grown as an actor and the show writers are taking their time with these plot lines and showing how the brothers aren't overly thrilled with their new LC.

--I love when the show remembers that GRRM wrote a very large, breathtaking history of Westeros. Egg mentions are phenomenal. Now just mention Dunk!

--GHOST PUPPY!!! HE IS MY FAVORITE PUPPY!! (and he got bigger!)

--Iain Glen's FACE OF PAIN during the auction. My insides. THEY HURT.

--Loved the scene between the Queen of Thorns and the High Sparrow. Two great actors playing off one another. SO GOOD

--Likewise, Queen of Thorns and Littlefinger's conversation was also well done.

--Cersei being taken. I wish the show was doing more with Cersei's terrible attempt at ruling and how unhinged she is becoming (like burning the Tower of the Hand in AFFC) but I did like her being taken by the High Sparrow.

MIXED

--I hate pretty much all the WF stuff, but I have to admit that Alfie Allen is doing a really great job this year.

--Aemon's death and his funeral pyre was wonderfully done, but REALLY? No mention of TPTWP?? Nothing about Daenerys and Aemon's idea that she is TPTWP?? Really?? I may not even believe that Dany is TPTWP (I think it's Jon) but at least put it out in the universe that other people are starting to interpret the prophecy differently from Mel. However, I'm glad they gave Aemon his "I dreamed I was old" line. :'(

--I liked Ghost Puppy (best puppy!) but was there a *point* to Sam getting beat up and the NW brothers almost raping Gilly? I mean obviously it leads to Sam and Gllly's first time but why with the unnecessary prelude involving attempted rape? Why not just have Sam and Gilly (two people who clearly love and desire each other) just have sex after mourning Aemon and coming together because of that?

--Meereen in general. While I enjoyed (sort of..) Dany's moment in the fighting pits, I have a pretty big issue with how this show is handling Meereen overall. D and D like to make Dany out to be nothing but a badass--a woman with some dragons who sets things on fire with those dragons while uttering cool catchphrases. They haven't done a bang up job over the past two seasons of showing how insecure Dany is, how internally she is struggling with her rule, her decisions, and her own nature. GRRM wrote it best when he has Dany think: "and who would ever dare to love a dragon?" That's Dany. She is scared that she is a monster, like her children. She's not just a badass who feeds people to the fire of her dragons. She's decidedly more complicated than that and this show is reducing her to just someone who makes bold proclamations without any of the internal flavoring that is Book! Dany. I know TV is a visual medium but it's their job as writers to give Emilia moments and lines and stories that show how complicated Dany is.

DISLIKED

--Sansa, covered in bruises, begging Theon for help. I knew they'd take this opportunity to make Sansa's troubles all about Theon and his redemption. Book Sansa who is learning to play the game...I miss you (and I was never your biggest fan)

--Tommen becomes Joffery 2.0 threatening to kill everyone? *sigh* I know I know...they aged him up and needed to give him something more because of that.

--Super convenient poison is super convenient! How lucky that it kicked in right when the Sand Snake (I have no idea which one she is because they are all so cliche and boring) was undressing and giving everyone their boob shot of the night! I am also really tired of the Dorne storyline not having Doran. Come on. You hired Siddig! USE HIM

Edited by BearQueen87

P.S. Cinematically speaking, the shot of Aemon was terrible. Looked like his head was mounted on a wall.

Exactly my reaction. I first thought, who made that bust and I didn't think they made headstones for dead members of the Night's Watch.

10/10 MY VERY FIRST 10/10

I was super excited to see what was going on. Finally we got some real answers and set up some good plots.

I was worried since I rated last episode so low (no not just cause of the Sansa scene)

Hope next episode can carry the momentum.

--I liked Ghost Puppy (best puppy!) but was there a *point* to Sam getting beat up and the NW brothers almost raping Gilly? I mean obviously it leads to Sam and Gllly's first time but why with the unnecessary prelude involving attempted rape? Why not just have Sam and Gilly (two people who clearly love and desire each other) just have sex after mourning Aemon and coming together because of that?

(...)

DISLIKED

--Sansa, covered in bruises, begging Theon for help. I knew they'd take this opportunity to make Sansa's troubles all about Theon and his redemption. Book Sansa who is learning to play the game...I miss you (and I was never your biggest fan)

--Tommen becomes Joffery 2.0 threatening to kill everyone? *sigh* I know I know...they aged him up and needed to give him something more because of that.

--Super convenient poison is super convenient! How lucky that it kicked in right when the Sand Snake (I have no idea which one she is because they are all so cliche and boring) was undressing and giving everyone their boob shot of the night! I am also really tired of the Dorne storyline not having Doran. Come on. You hired Siddig! USE HIM

Regarding Gilly, how could it not happen? The Night's Watch is a prison filled with rapists and murderers and she's the only woman in miles. It already stretches disbelief that it didn't happen sooner. Also, didn't Sam and Gilly had sex in the previous season? Honestly, if Gilly hadn't asked Sam if he was hurting, I would have thought they were carrying on in secret.

Sansa... she's showing a certain type of strength. Yes, the arc is about Theon, which is a shame, but her telling him he's Theon of House Greyjoy, heir of Balon Greyjoy was a great moment, as well as her interaction with Ramsay. I doubt that hook she got would serve her for anything other than earning a beating (or worse), but it's a good thing to see she isn't defeated.

As for the Sand Snakes, yes and no. The exhibitionist one (Nym I guess?) knew how long it would take for the poison to affect him.

Don't you think the meet of Tyrion and Danny so underwhelming?

It's underwhelming because we as an audience are unaware of how much Dany knows about Tyrion, if anything at all.

Plus, it happens simultaneously with Jorah reuniting with Dany which is obviously way more powerful because there is so much emotion behind it due to their history.

If they wanted to do Tyrion/Dany this season they should have waited to do it until 5.08 or 5.09 and separated the two events. You could even have a scene where Jorah says he brought Dany Tyrion Lannister but she kind of thinks he's just lying about it. This could have been used as a springboard to give us some knowledge of what Dany thinks about Tyrion before their meeting. It would also add to the dramatic tension to Dany meeting Tyrion, because Dany would realize Jorah wasn't lying after all - yet she already made a decision.

I really can't think of a more... blah way to write the specific moment when they actually meet each other. I'm excited for seeing what happens though, I just wish it would be a more spontaneous interaction, whereas it will probably be very calculated and staged now with each person kind of knowing what exactly to say in advance.

Edited by AdmiralKyrd

Regarding Gilly, how could it not happen? The Night's Watch is a prison filled with rapists and murderers and she's the only woman in miles. It already stretches disbelief that it didn't happen sooner. Also, didn't Sam and Gilly had sex in the previous season? Honestly, if Gilly hadn't asked Sam if he was hurting, I would have thought they were carrying on in secret.

GRRM's world is realistic but it actually shies away from that. If GRRM really wanted his world to be 100% real, the NW would be full of boy being raped by older men. It doesn't stretch my imagination at all because the books never go into it; it's another excuse of the show to have a violent scene. It was also just rather filler-y. If it wasn't Gilly and Sam's first time (which I thought it was...) then again, what was the point of the scene if these two are already having sex? This is an hour long show that is trying to cover 2 books (AFFC and ADWD). So taking 10 mins (or so) for a scene that is pretty pointless is just that...pointless.

As for the Sand Snakes, yes and no. The exhibitionist one (Nym I guess?) knew how long it would take for the poison to affect him.

I guess, but it's just the shows excuse to get some boob action and again it's about the economy of time in an hour long show. Was it necessary? No. What is more necessary? I don't know...Doran, maybe. Since we've barely seen him for any significant amount of time, certainly not enough to understand or get to know him like we do in AFFC.