[Poll] How would you rate episode 507?

Ran

How would you rate episode 507?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

5/10 - and that's mostly because it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting after last week...

+ Cersei getting arrested was okay. I'm glad they included the septas, although they look out of place considering that the Sparrows have been so male-dominated up till this point.

+ The High Sparrow is actually putting in some great performances. His dialogue is way too modern but he sells it anyway.

+ Aemon's death was, again, okay. It could have been so much better but it also could have been so much worse.

+ This seems like a pretty unpopular opinion but I think Jon's storyline has been paced quite well so far.

+ Dany didn't feed anyone to her dragons... That was nice. She was only slightly out of character instead of completely, so yay...

- Another attempted rape scene. WTF is wrong with the producers?

- The colour and lighting are still horrendous... I could barely see any of the indoor scenes.

- Daenerys and Daario have no chemistry.

- The Queen of Thorns saying "shagging" really pulled me out of her scene with the High Sparrow... Not to mention how hamfisted his "we are the 99%" speech was.

- Tommen wants to kill all the Sparrows? Lol ok, what's stopping him?

- Dorne........... OMG what an embarrassment. I don't know how many people here watched the show when it first premiered, but back then it was actually considered an intelligent TV show about political intrigue, even if it was mocked for its sexposition. Let me assure you that no one would accuse GoT of being intelligent after watching the Dornish scenes LOL.

- Stannis continues to be horny for Melisandre...... ok. Then she suggests burning his only child and heir and he barely even reacts?? He doesn't even ask how or why sacrificing Shireen would help..... WTF. Who the fuck is gonna stick around and support a king who just burned a child alive? WHO WRITES THIS SHIT?

- The meeting between Dany and Tyrion really should have carried more emotional weight, but at least they gave some ok performances.

- Not sure why Jorah killing people made Dany sit back down. The writers are idiots.

... Ok looking back at my positive ratings, I kind of sound like Reek. "Oh D&D tortured me but at least they didn't FLAY me this time!"

:agree: Exactly!

The writing has gone to shit. I gave it a 6.

Edited by Archmaester Drew

I gave it a 7. It was much better than last week. Still a lot to dislike, but a fair bit to like as well. Kings Landing and Meereen were probably the better parts of the episode.

The whole breast scene wasn't just about showing tits. I thought it was a clever way to show tits rather than to just show them for no reason. What I mean is, it was used to speed up Bronns heart rate as he is always cool as a cucumber.. therefore making the posion move faster. Maybe too fast.. kinda cheesy but for a TV show it works. She asked him about his wound, he's like no big deal.. ya know? It was more than just a nude scene for the sake of having one. It was sexy and the interaction between the characters was fun. (As were all thinking, yep he's a goner he get's an "antidote")

But what I want to know is WHY did they give him an antidote?? Is there more to it ie its not really an antidote? Or did the writers just want us to think Bronn was toast but then let us keep him?

IDK but I think the scene worked well and it wasn't as wierd as when the red women pulled hers out trying to seduce Jon a few episodes back.

Edited by abacabb

The whole breast scene wasn't just about showing tits. I thought it was a clever way to show tits rather than to just show them for no reason. What I mean is, it was used to speed up Bronns heart rate as he is always cool as a cucumber.. therefore making the posion move faster. Maybe too fast.. kinda cheesy but for a TV show it works. She asked him about his wound, he's like no big deal.. ya know? It was more than just a nude scene for the sake of having one. It was sexy and the interaction between the characters was fun. (As were all thinking, yep he's a goner he get's an "antidote")

But what I want to know is WHY did they give him an antidote?? Is there more to it ie its not really an antidote? Or did the writers just want us to think Bronn was toast but then let us keep him?

IDK but I think the scene worked well and it wasn't as wierd as when the red women pulled hers out trying to seduce Jon a few episodes back.

Yes, but the only reason he was poisoned in the first place was for a nude scene. So...

I do like how in this episode they did attempt to bring in some parallels (Tommen and Myrcella both proclaim to a parent that they love someone and have blind faith and innocence for instance, and a parent realizes that they've spent so much time trying to protect their child that they never had the chance to know them; Sansa and Cersei actually had a parallel where they both learned that their abilities at manipulation are hitting brick walls and they are not so skilled at such things concerning people they think they know what buttons to push when really that person holds all the cards--Ramsay and the High Sparrow equally). It doesn't substitute for the themes the book touches on, but seeing ironic reflections (Margaery is playing Tommen to secure power for herself--though she might think him a sweet boy nonetheless vs Trystane actually passionately loves Myrcella; Sansa is a rank beginner in manipulation vs Cersei who thinks she's a pro) sorta makes up for it, but not really.

I'm not liking the Calvinistic turn they're bringing to the High Septon but it fits in with the rest of their bringing modern day commentary as part of the society-wide social backlash against the 35 year rule of the Moral Majority/Religious Right in the United States that's going on right now. I still think it's blatantly out of place, but I'll accept that the show has an agenda to push and roll my eyes.

If this were the actual Reformation though, I would expect that King's Landing would turn into the Muenster Commune at this point, which would actually be in LF's favor considering what the Muenster Commune ended up turning into.

If you're confused about what I mean when I say the Muenster Commune and want a quick overview, click the spoiler button, if you don't want it, read on.

For those who are unaware, the Muenster Commune was part of the Radical Reformation (and yes, there's a difference between the Reformation and the Radical Reformation)--they believed that the end of the world was coming soon and that all those who had converted to Anabaptism would be saved. Anabaptism being people choosing to be baptized as adults instead of as babies. Anabaptists in general (outside of the Radical Reformation) believed that Christianity shouldn't be pushed onto everyone when they were young, and that the world would be more Christian if people had grown up and made the conscious decision to join the faith and be baptized instead of having the choice forced upon them shortly after birth. A good idea, but the radicals of that off-chute held some other beliefs that led to the Muenster Commune. They were a rare violent off-chute of Anabaptism--a natural evolution if you actually consider that for a good 20 years or so leading up to the Muenster Commune the Anabaptists in general have been the hunted ones (if you were found to be an Anabaptist before this--instant death; if you were baptized again as an adult, instant death if caught; the Muenster Commune folk were simply the people who said: "screw this non-violence stuff, we're not going to take it anymore! We're fighting back violence with violence!"). Well, they seized the city of Muenster by calling all the poor (peasant wars had been going on for some time with peasants demanding rights and such ideas as voting) and other Anabaptists in the region to the city with promises that they were going to share everything equally (because possession had no place in the faith), and that they'd respect god given rights and elect a town council (all of which they did do when they took the city--and they kicked out the wealthy on pane of death). The idealistic leader who believed in everything got killed, then he was replaced with a guy who was convinced he could talk to God--and by talk to God I don't mean prayer, I mean turn around and in the middle of anywhere and literally talk to God directly--which then caused him to answer questions on all sorts of things. Eventually the second guy got himself killed (he actually believed the stuff he preached--and when God told him to go run out and fight against the Prince-Bishop's forces alone... he did just that... and got ripped apart). They also made so that you had to follow all the Old Testament laws and said if you broke any of them death was the punishment. And I should add that reporting on people who weren't living a holy life (children were encouraged to report their parents, I should also note) shot up, and by decree no one was allowed to lock their doors or keep them closed so officials who were given special privileges to judge if you were indeed living a holy life could stroll the streets and go into any house and make sure things were going according to god's plan. Meanwhile the Prince-Bishop is locked out of his own city and is trying to overthrow the rebellion without having to knock down his own walls, so he put the city under siege. The city turns into a wild wild party--and by wild party I mean they're going around to the nunneries and saying "god doesn't want you to hide yourselves away... he says right here in the bible that we should "be fruitful and multiply", and that by hiding themselves away and not doing so--they were directly disobeying god. And when you consider that most girls in those days who were sent to a Nunnery were usually the "boy crazy" types whose parents sent them there in an attempt to "squash" that "boy craziness" out of them, and there were those who went there for the education opportunities (for a while a monastery or a cloister was the best place to receive an education in Europe), or those who'd joined a nunnery to escape a marriage that their parents wanted to force on them (not to mention a few who were genuinely devout). You can get the idea that a lot of the nuns didn't want to be there, but had come to accept it for various reasons--and the Muenster Commune really is the proof in the pudding. And suddenly someone comes along and says you don't have to be here and be celibate to still obey god's laws... well you can imagine what happened--a lot of nuns simply up and left their cloisters and got out to join the mass (and they were actually the most vocal supporters of the Muenster Commune to be quite honest). And to say that "wild conservative Christian sex orgy" was a term you could apply to these rebels isn't that far off in the aftermath. After all, they were going to be the only people left alive after the end of the world and they had to repopulate the rest of the world--and God wanted them "to be fruitful and multiply". Problem is that created a great disparity between the genders (far far far more women than men). The Commune in general really loved the Old Testament. They felt it was getting back to the primitive church and the natural order that God had had in the first Israel. And the third guy to take over (who didn't see anything wrong with bending the rules to suit his pleasure--whereas at least for the first two leaders you could say that they had actually lived their beliefs fully) eventually started justifying that they go even more and more Old Testament the practice of polygamy... to the point where young daughters (we're talking like about age 11) were being dragged from their homes to marry a man who might have seen her on the market--and remember, no one's allowed to lock their doors--and objecting could get you killed.

Eventually the third leader crowned himself as a "second King David". And suddenly the Commune had gone from the radical beliefs it had started with (proto-democracy, elimination of social class, elimination of private property, etc.) to looking like the very world it was trying to rebel against.

The Prince-Bishop eventually realized that he'd have to suck it up and rebuild his walls and he shot them down, and the Commune ended. Leaders of the rebellion were horribly mutilated and killed (to the point that Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire is tame, very tame) in public spectacle--which everyone gleefully watched because they'd just endured a living hell for well over several months.

I'm simplifying something that I could go into much further detail about, but I think those of you who are unaware of the Muenster Commune get the point.

The larger point is though, that Calvinism hadn't yet taken over the Reformation ideals, and that the early Reformation idea of getting back to the "primitive church" was very different from the kind of organization we see the Sparrows create in the show and the books. The show Sparrows are most definitely making a commentary on today and thus the Sparrows have a definite Religious Right/Moral Majority undertone to them (and a few latter-day Reformation (aka post-Calvinistic) beliefs that would be anachronistic otherwise sneaked in there, as well as the emphasis on the modern issue of homosexuality that the RR/MM has struggled with since the 1980s). The Sparrows of the books are much more like the Medieval attempts at getting back to basic beliefs (in the tradition of the St. Francis or St. Benedict, mixed with a bit of the Cistercians) and is much more believably Medieval in tone. They're just the new kid in a long line of monastic orders (we can assume exist) in the books--and not a Reformation or complete splinter in faith.

And as a last note I could have done without the glorifying of the whorehouse (I feel like this entire season they've been trying to make me feel bad about the end of the whorehouse depravities--when actually that I was cheering on as I'm sick and tired of sexposition and nudity for nudity's sake), that I really felt like laughing about. Great "tragedy" that it's gone indeed. :rolleyes: Though I am surprised that LF himself hasn't been arrested for owning the whorehouses in the first place, yet. Episode 9, perhaps?

Well it was good to see that the audition piece for Tyene actually got in to the show... other than that I feel like the Dorne prison scene was pointless as it essentially kept the status quo where it was, when there could have been consequences... but we gotta keep Bronn alive because he's a show favorite. Ahh well.

Edited by WhitewolfStark

Would give it a 7/10

Enjoyed most of and never thought i'd say this, but Tyrion's scenes were the episode's weak point. That whole cartoony bit where he beats up the slaver which obviously convinces Jorah's new master to buy him. Then we have Hodor's brother set him loose so he can perform his grand reveal to Daenerys, it was shite. Then the fighting pit scene itself was horrendous, they borrowed "Gladiator's" logic of having 10-12 slaves fight a battle royale to the death, instead of you know maybe training them. Those slaves must be on special offer or something to just slaughter them off like that.

Plus he was fighting last episode and singing this one. So why didn't THOSE speed up the poison? Is it boob-activated or something?

I think it actually is. Seeing boobs sped up his heart rate. I'm not a doctor so I'm not going to complain about that - could even be plausible for all I know. But the scene itself was so pointless and ridiculous.

Yes, but the only reason he was poisoned in the first place was for a nude scene. So...

Plus he was fighting last episode and singing this one. So why didn't THOSE speed up the poison? Is it boob-activated or something?

Looks to me like they're subbing Bronn in for Arys Oakheart

WIthout "fat pink mast" this was a 1/10.

Seriously, this was the best of the season - though in all honesty that isn't saying much.

Not getting rid of Bronn (yet at least) - good call.

Aemon's death process/calling to Egg - well done.

Gilly attempted rape scene - could have done without it.

Fat pink mast - ok, so I did somehow want them to work that in (no pun intended) but the "oh my" almost made up for it.

Stannis showing what he stands for...and why he can be frustrating - straight ahead, move forward!

Myrcella showing that distance from Cersei does increase IQ.

Jorah was a little hamfisted, but I liked how it worked. The choreography of the fight scenes recently has seemed to be lacking.

Tyrion introducing himself...win.

Cersei thinking she is smarter than she really is. Win.

I'm not sure this is as strong a 9/10 as prior seasons have been, but definitely for this season it was as much better.

Looks to me like they're subbing Bronn in for Arys Oakheart

Why would Bronn side with the woman who poisoned him? Why are they putting in an Arys plot line after the Sandsnakes attempt to capture Myrcella? Tbh I think it more likely that he's taking the part of Darkstar though. They'll pay him off, he'll try to kill Myrcella and run off. But then in the books Obara is going after Bronn, which doesn't make sense in the show if it's the Sandsnakes who pay him to kill Myrcella.

Ugh, why is Dorne such a mess?!

Dilemmas: This season gives me impressions that the book haven't. The entire KL storyline makes me feel like a world, an order is slowly falling apart. I understand that in the book, this was the Lannister clan and no more. It was the Lannisters struggling to survive. But in the show it's the entire political order, society and way of thinking. That massive block of power that resided in KL has been chipped away by the little changes the show made. Even though they weren't present, I could still feel that Varys and Littlefinger are pulling most of the strings, along with the Faith rising to power, of course, but now Varys is nowhere, Littlefinger is nobody with plan, no (known) goal, Pycelle and Qyburn disappeared, Mace Tyrell is in Bravos, Kevan Lannister at the Rock, the City Watch disappeared, the KG basically doesn't exist. With Cersei imprisoned, the crown is basically nothing with a boy sitting in the Red Keep with literally NOBODY around. And this whole talk about the masses and the few and fear. The books haven't (yet) given me the impression that the time of the people has come and the previous political order is being demolished. I don't even know what I'm saying, it's just impressions I don't like having...

I got from the books that the world, or at east Westeros, is falling apart but don't think it is clear enough in the show. I thought it was the main point of Feast - that Westeros was war torn and crumbling, yes the Lannisters were at the center of it but the problem extended way beyond them, political power was receding to common faith, desperation without motivation and so on. In the show, this is carried by Lancel and the High Sparrow only, where as in the books it was shown with an overall view of Westeros. It's one thing I really miss about the books, that overall view of Westeros in ruins and and the highborns unable to do anything about it.

WIthout "fat pink mast" this was a 1/10.

Seriously, this was the best of the season - though in all honesty that isn't saying much.

Not getting rid of Bronn (yet at least) - good call.

Aemon's death process/calling to Egg - well done.

Gilly attempted rape scene - could have done without it.

Fat pink mast - ok, so I did somehow want them to work that in (no pun intended) but the "oh my" almost made up for it.

Stannis showing what he stands for...and why he can be frustrating - straight ahead, move forward!

Myrcella showing that distance from Cersei does increase IQ.

Jorah was a little hamfisted, but I liked how it worked. The choreography of the fight scenes recently has seemed to be lacking.

Tyrion introducing himself...win.

Cersei thinking she is smarter than she really is. Win.

I'm not sure this is as strong a 9/10 as prior seasons have been, but definitely for this season it was as much better.

nevermind sorry

Edited by nastydream

Le Good

- Reek's betrayal

- Bronn's singing

- Tormund (Show gets a bonus point every time he appears)

Le Bad

- My name is Jorahius Andalius Mormontius

- Dany's 'I watched a man get burned and torn apart by dragons, but this is too grimdark 4 meh'

- Daario

- Tyrion's lack of wit and cunning continues

Le WTF

- Sansa, after going through everything and learning so much trusts her potential escape to a man who betrayed her family and is now Ramsay's plaything.

- Jon not taking Ghost North of the Wall with him

- Tommen and his sister's screen time and what they use it for...

- Stannis and Davos are no longer bros

- Stannis' reaction to Mel wanting to burn his daughter

6/10

Edited by Cz-99

I voted 8. It was all pretty good besides a couple of seemingly unnecessary scenes like Brienne and Cersei/Marg. Jaime's journey is just him being ineffective and somewhat incompetent...I'm fine with changing the journey to Dorne rather than the Riverlands but his motivations and purpose are all off to the point where I don't really enjoy his scenes despite him being my favorite character in the novels.

Edited by DarkAndFullOfTurnips