[Poll] How would you rate episode 507?

Ran

How would you rate episode 507?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I enjoyed it overall, but somethings still irk me like how Sansa has gone from the supposedly more intelligent "playa" we saw at the end of last season to a scared little girl again. Similarly, Olenna having a sudden reduction in IQ and why the hell the Tyrells wouldnt just storm these guys holding clubs and take back their heir?

I actually think they are doing a good job with Sansa. She's still trying to be a "playa" (trying to get Theon to help her, the whole 'bastard' conversation with Ramsay), she just can't compete with rape and flaying. The way they are setting it up, I think she's going to figure out a way out of the situation herself.

I gave it a 7, tied for lowest of the season, and strangely when I watched it the first time I liked it more. I watched it again yesterday and found myself fast forwarding a lot.

Jon, should have taken Ghost, but now you can see why they didn't.

The attempted rape of Gilly didn't seem out of place to me at all. To me that is setting up the mood for how dangerous the wall is becoming. Jon is gone, Aemon is gone, and most of the brothers are criminals. There is one female there amongst those men and no moles town to go to for hookers. To me Gilly and Sam may still head south to Oldtown if for no reason but to get her to safety.

Sansa was exactly what I expected, she trusts easily and though Theon would help her, but Theon is gone, Reek is what remains. Sansa is smarter and bolder, she was throwing bastard in his face for a reason. Sansa is trying to set him up for conflict and hoping she can advance herself in the chaos.

Dorne, better since it didn't seem comical. I mean the fight last week was just silly, all of them are trained badasses and no one died, just silly. Hopefully they play Jaime out so he sees just how Cersei manipulates him.

Fighting pit. FINALLY. Dany And Tyrion meet, been waiting a few years for this. Now we have to see how they get along. I also see it as strange how she could watch the dragons tear a man apart and eat him but she turns away from men killing men.

Gave it a 5 and felt generous doing so.

The lack of narrative and character sense is overwhelming.

Dorne is beyond dreadful. The WF story line is horrible in almost every way (Alfie Allen is doing his best to redeem it but it's impossible). Meereen feels half baked. King's Landing lacks narrative sense and moral complexity. Tyrion's journey has been a mixed bag. Castle Black and Braavos have been the best done sections this season and both still fall somewhat short.

Much of the dialogue is simply terrible now.

Gave it an 8/10.

Lot's of good stuff in this episode:

• The setup of Shireen being sacrificed to the Red God
  • Theon betraying the Starks yet again
  • Bronn surviving - really thought they'd kill him off
  • The High Sparrow showing that some people can't be bought
  • Lady Olenna and Littlefinger conspiring again
  • Cersei getting some comeuppance
  • Jorah showing his desperation in meeting with Daenyres
  • And of course something Dance with Dragons couldn't do - Tyrion meeting with Daenyres!
Edited by tallTale

Gave it a 5 and felt generous doing so.

The lack of narrative and character sense is overwhelming.

Dorne is beyond dreadful. The WF story line is horrible in almost every way (Alfie Allen is doing his best to redeem it but it's impossible). Meereen feels half baked. King's Landing lacks narrative sense and moral complexity. Tyrion's journey has been a mixed bag. Castle Black and Braavos have been the best done sections this season and both still fall somewhat short.

Much of the dialogue is simply terrible now.

I agree

Episode 7 gets a 7. First good episode of the season for me. Hopefully the next 3 episodes are at least as good as this one.

Some questions. Where the frick did Ghost come from? And where the frick did Ghost go? Why even have the wolves anymore? Are they that expensive to use? More so than CGI dragons?

Mormont and Tyrion confronting Dany was a tad weak too.

Dropping the Greyjoys in favor of the Martells was a huge disaster. The Ironborn story would have played out much better on television.

Edited by A Redeemed Hound

Episode 7 gets a 7. First good episode of the season for me. Hopefully the next 3 episodes are at least as good as this one.

Some questions. Where the frick did Ghost come from? And where the frick did Ghost go? Why even have the wolves anymore? Are they that expensive to use? More so than CGI dragons?

Mormont and Tyrion confronting Dany was a tad weak too.

Dropping the Greyjoys in favor of the Martells was a huge disaster. The Ironborn story would have played out much better on television.

Hell dropping the Manderlays, they would have been more interesting than Dorne. We could have seen Frey Pies, and Davos getting jailed, and his "trial" at White Harbor, plus the good guys would get a win, knowing that at least there are some great houses still loyal to the Starks in the North. Tyene's boob shot has been the only good part, and Bronn of course.

As far as Ghost and the Wolves go I'm convinced the writers of this show are trolling book readers at this point.

Edited by SerJeremiahLouistark

Gave it a 5.

Dorne plot becomes more ridiculous every episode. My god, the actress who plays Myrcella is really bad (almost as bad as the Sand Snakes).

I don't like the whole "almost gets raped only to have sex a couple of minutes later ..." trope. They easily could have had them comfort each other after Aemon's death instead of adding an unnecessary near-rape scene. (Also, funny how Sam has had more screentime with Ghost than Jon this season)

The Dany-Tyrion reveal was a bit underwhelming IMO, also should have known the title would refer to St. Tyrion instead of Braavos ...

Tommen's tantrum reminded me a little bit too much of Joff.

I did like the scenes with the HS, Jonathan Pryce is a superb actor. (though Olenna admitting Loras is gay is a bit stupid of her)

Don't like the storyline, but I have to admit both Alfie Allen and Sophie Turner are really good actors.

Cersei getting arrested was good. Great acting by Lena Headey.

Clarke's acting was much better this episode.

Loved Stannis' "get out", though his reaction towards her suggestion worries me.

Edited by Miss Carnahan

I gave it a 7.

It would've been higher but for a couple of reasons...

Dorne - Still not good. Might improve but we haven't got long left...

Sam & Gilly - Now I like the love scene here. It was quite tasteful in comparison to the version in the book which is, frankly, some of the worst writing in the series (exhibit A - fat pink mast) outside of a full page food description, in my opinion anyway. I just didn't like how it was more sexual violence that set it up. I actually shouted 'for f*** sake not again' when the Night's Watch men were assaulting Gilly. I'm just sick of seeing that. So it's a personal taste thing really.

Olenna - Diana Rigg is amazing but the writers just seem to have her running around shouting at people, rather than being as clever as we know she is. This was redeemed a bit with the scene with Littlefinger though. Those actors (Aidan Gillen and Diana Rigg) have great chemistry.

Aside from that no issues. I actually much prefer the Essos stuff in the series as it's not an endless parade of 'anonymous zo surname' characters I couldn't give a single toss about. It had to be condensed. A straight adaptation from Dance of this stuff would be insanely dull on screen. And Jonathan Pryce is superb as the high sparrow. Brilliant casting again.

Gave it an 8. My favorite episode this season.

There were a few things that bothered me. I understand that the Jorah-Tyrion arc needed to be sped up, but the way Tyrion convinced Yezzan to buy him as well as Jorah seemed a tad ridiculous.

Then of course, the two of them are taken to a "starter" fighting pit, where Dany and Hizdar just happen to be. Isn't slavery supposed to be outlawed? Can Dany truly not tell that all these guys are slaves?

I thought the way the two of them "escaped" was a bit ridiculous as well. The gate was just left open? Some random guard just decides to let Tyrion in on the action as well?

Clumsy, IMHO.

I have less of a problem with the Castle Black situation than many here do. To me, it stands to reason that the brothers of the NW would eventually try and have their way with Gilly. I honestly believe that those complaining so vociferously about it are still not over Sansa.

This is GoT. Unpleasant stuff happens. A lot.

Which brings me to Dorne. Nudity just for the sake of ratings also happens on GoT. A lot. As a hetero male, I have no objection to Tyene's objectification. Who knows? Maybe with Jerome beside them they'll become interesting characters. We still have a few episodes to make it happen.

Nice to see Unella show up as well, although knowing D & D, they'll likely change her name for some reason.

BTW: Have people forgotton that Ghost has been his own wolf for a while now? Sure he lets himself be kenneled up once in a while and he'll kick some Thenn butt when asked. But Ghost has his own agenda and even Jon isn't sure what it is.

What part of the truly horrendous Ironborn story we got last season are basing that groundless optimism from. And we really need a whole group of people that pride themselves on their enslaving and raping skills this season. Call me a critic, but I think Euron and Victarion's attidutes would perhaps be too much of good thing here.

It's hard to motivate myself to give the shows more than 6s right now. I'm watching this season because its GoT but I'm not really invested in any of the characters. Maybe if Bronn takes on the role of Arys Oakheart, since it seems the King's Guard that went to Myrcella to Dorn have gone AWOL, and maybe Tyene becomes his love interest so we don't need to introduce the audience to a 4th young Dornish woman; man TV producers treat audiences like imbeciles. If the Myrcella storyline starts along the lines of the books then that might redeem Dorne somewhat.

Up at the Wall, we got a moving death scene for Aemon (bonus for Egg) and Sam/Jon farewell. "You're losing your friends": is that a threat? While its nice that Sam gets to be a hero, the love scene was far too long. Pacing has been a problem this season generally: things that should be savoured are often rushed, while less important (or downright unnecessary) scenes tend to drag.

Stannis had an excellent scene; he's one of the characters who have actually done fairly well this season.

Winterfell: I liked the scene where Sansa confronts Theon, and it's interesting that she is planting doubts (or stoking them) in Ramsay's mind. I still don't like the whole Ramsay rape plotline.

Dorne moved up a bit for the exchange between Jaime and Myrcella. Unfortunately, despite the Dornishman's wife song (finally, speech recognition), it went right down again for the Bronn/Sand Snake scene. The show writers seem to have inherited Martin's penchant for spending too much time on tangential material, and… I can't get speech recognition to type the third person plural possessive pronoun… theirs isn't anywhere near as good.

Slavers' Bay: The D&D sex scene… well, at least it included Daenerys, and I liked the book references; but still: please God, no. The fight scene seemed a little long. It was pretty cool to see Tyrion and Jorah meet up with Daenerys, although I was expecting a certain animal to turn up, especially since it had been foreshadowed. I dare say that will happen later.

King's Landing was pretty good this episode. I like the chap who plays the High Sparrow, so it's nice to get more of him. We also got a lot of QOT, which is always good. She doesn't seem to be as good a politician (or at any rate as good at dissembling) as Cersei. Speaking of which, her scene with Tommen was an interesting blend of heartfelt sincerity and shameless lying. Anyway, one can't help feeling a little sorry for her.

Rating: 8

Since Game of Thrones is no longer must see tv for me, I just now got around to watching it. HBO, I want my money back for you ruining what could have been an epic, EPIC adaptation. I gave it a 5 and that is only for the few seconds of Ghost.

I do like how in this episode they did attempt to bring in some parallels (Tommen and Myrcella both proclaim to a parent that they love someone and have blind faith and innocence for instance, and a parent realizes that they've spent so much time trying to protect their child that they never had the chance to know them; Sansa and Cersei actually had a parallel where they both learned that their abilities at manipulation are hitting brick walls and they are not so skilled at such things concerning people they think they know what buttons to push when really that person holds all the cards--Ramsay and the High Sparrow equally). It doesn't substitute for the themes the book touches on, but seeing ironic reflections (Margaery is playing Tommen to secure power for herself--though she might think him a sweet boy nonetheless vs Trystane actually passionately loves Myrcella; Sansa is a rank beginner in manipulation vs Cersei who thinks she's a pro) sorta makes up for it, but not really.

I'm not liking the Calvinistic turn they're bringing to the High Septon but it fits in with the rest of their bringing modern day commentary as part of the society-wide social backlash against the 35 year rule of the Moral Majority/Religious Right in the United States that's going on right now. I still think it's blatantly out of place, but I'll accept that the show has an agenda to push and roll my eyes.

If this were the actual Reformation though, I would expect that King's Landing would turn into the Muenster Commune at this point, which would actually be in LF's favor considering what the Muenster Commune ended up turning into.

If you're confused about what I mean when I say the Muenster Commune and want a quick overview, click the spoiler button, if you don't want it, read on.

For those who are unaware, the Muenster Commune was part of the Radical Reformation (and yes, there's a difference between the Reformation and the Radical Reformation)--they believed that the end of the world was coming soon and that all those who had converted to Anabaptism would be saved. Anabaptism being people choosing to be baptized as adults instead of as babies. Anabaptists in general (outside of the Radical Reformation) believed that Christianity shouldn't be pushed onto everyone when they were young, and that the world would be more Christian if people had grown up and made the conscious decision to join the faith and be baptized instead of having the choice forced upon them shortly after birth. A good idea, but the radicals of that off-chute held some other beliefs that led to the Muenster Commune. They were a rare violent off-chute of Anabaptism--a natural evolution if you actually consider that for a good 20 years or so leading up to the Muenster Commune the Anabaptists in general have been the hunted ones (if you were found to be an Anabaptist before this--instant death; if you were baptized again as an adult, instant death if caught; the Muenster Commune folk were simply the people who said: "screw this non-violence stuff, we're not going to take it anymore! We're fighting back violence with violence!"). Well, they seized the city of Muenster by calling all the poor (peasant wars had been going on for some time with peasants demanding rights and such ideas as voting) and other Anabaptists in the region to the city with promises that they were going to share everything equally (because possession had no place in the faith), and that they'd respect god given rights and elect a town council (all of which they did do when they took the city--and they kicked out the wealthy on pane of death). The idealistic leader who believed in everything got killed, then he was replaced with a guy who was convinced he could talk to God--and by talk to God I don't mean prayer, I mean turn around and in the middle of anywhere and literally talk to God directly--which then caused him to answer questions on all sorts of things. Eventually the second guy got himself killed (he actually believed the stuff he preached--and when God told him to go run out and fight against the Prince-Bishop's forces alone... he did just that... and got ripped apart). They also made so that you had to follow all the Old Testament laws and said if you broke any of them death was the punishment. And I should add that reporting on people who weren't living a holy life (children were encouraged to report their parents, I should also note) shot up, and by decree no one was allowed to lock their doors or keep them closed so officials who were given special privileges to judge if you were indeed living a holy life could stroll the streets and go into any house and make sure things were going according to god's plan. Meanwhile the Prince-Bishop is locked out of his own city and is trying to overthrow the rebellion without having to knock down his own walls, so he put the city under siege. The city turns into a wild wild party--and by wild party I mean they're going around to the nunneries and saying "god doesn't want you to hide yourselves away... he says right here in the bible that we should "be fruitful and multiply", and that by hiding themselves away and not doing so--they were directly disobeying god. And when you consider that most girls in those days who were sent to a Nunnery were usually the "boy crazy" types whose parents sent them there in an attempt to "squash" that "boy craziness" out of them, and there were those who went there for the education opportunities (for a while a monastery or a cloister was the best place to receive an education in Europe), or those who'd joined a nunnery to escape a marriage that their parents wanted to force on them (not to mention a few who were genuinely devout). You can get the idea that a lot of the nuns didn't want to be there, but had come to accept it for various reasons--and the Muenster Commune really is the proof in the pudding. And suddenly someone comes along and says you don't have to be here and be celibate to still obey god's laws... well you can imagine what happened--a lot of nuns simply up and left their cloisters and got out to join the mass (and they were actually the most vocal supporters of the Muenster Commune to be quite honest). And to say that "wild conservative Christian sex orgy" was a term you could apply to these rebels isn't that far off in the aftermath. After all, they were going to be the only people left alive after the end of the world and they had to repopulate the rest of the world--and God wanted them "to be fruitful and multiply". Problem is that created a great disparity between the genders (far far far more women than men). The Commune in general really loved the Old Testament. They felt it was getting back to the primitive church and the natural order that God had had in the first Israel. And the third guy to take over (who didn't see anything wrong with bending the rules to suit his pleasure--whereas at least for the first two leaders you could say that they had actually lived their beliefs fully) eventually started justifying that they go even more and more Old Testament the practice of polygamy... to the point where young daughters (we're talking like about age 11) were being dragged from their homes to marry a man who might have seen her on the market--and remember, no one's allowed to lock their doors--and objecting could get you killed.

Eventually the third leader crowned himself as a "second King David". And suddenly the Commune had gone from the radical beliefs it had started with (proto-democracy, elimination of social class, elimination of private property, etc.) to looking like the very world it was trying to rebel against.

The Prince-Bishop eventually realized that he'd have to suck it up and rebuild his walls and he shot them down, and the Commune ended. Leaders of the rebellion were horribly mutilated and killed (to the point that Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire is tame, very tame) in public spectacle--which everyone gleefully watched because they'd just endured a living hell for well over several months.

I'm simplifying something that I could go into much further detail about, but I think those of you who are unaware of the Muenster Commune get the point.

The larger point is though, that Calvinism hadn't yet taken over the Reformation ideals, and that the early Reformation idea of getting back to the "primitive church" was very different from the kind of organization we see the Sparrows create in the show and the books. The show Sparrows are most definitely making a commentary on today and thus the Sparrows have a definite Religious Right/Moral Majority undertone to them (and a few latter-day Reformation (aka post-Calvinistic) beliefs that would be anachronistic otherwise sneaked in there, as well as the emphasis on the modern issue of homosexuality that the RR/MM has struggled with since the 1980s). The Sparrows of the books are much more like the Medieval attempts at getting back to basic beliefs (in the tradition of the St. Francis or St. Benedict, mixed with a bit of the Cistercians) and is much more believably Medieval in tone. They're just the new kid in a long line of monastic orders (we can assume exist) in the books--and not a Reformation or complete splinter in faith.

And as a last note I could have done without the glorifying of the whorehouse (I feel like this entire season they've been trying to make me feel bad about the end of the whorehouse depravities--when actually that I was cheering on as I'm sick and tired of sexposition and nudity for nudity's sake), that I really felt like laughing about. Great "tragedy" that it's gone indeed. :rolleyes: Though I am surprised that LF himself hasn't been arrested for owning the whorehouses in the first place, yet. Episode 9, perhaps?

Well it was good to see that the audition piece for Tyene actually got in to the show... other than that I feel like the Dorne prison scene was pointless as it essentially kept the status quo where it was, when there could have been consequences... but we gotta keep Bronn alive because he's a show favorite. Ahh well.

great comment