[Poll] How would you rate episode 507?

Ran

How would you rate episode 507?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

543 votes, 7.59 average, 7.78 with top/bottom 5% removed, 8 median.

Averaging is kind of unreliable when you have such a skewed distribution...

Could i suggest that in these summaries you also include the 25th and 75th percentile as well as the median 50th percentile*

So in this case the 25th percentile is 7, median 8 and 75th percentile is 9. I think that better reflects the preponderance of the ratings here.

* i am aware i can just work this out myself as well :)

Edited by God-Emperor of Yi Ti

First post!

I gave it a 6 - it was probably the best episode of the season, but that's not saying much, unfortunately. I've watched every episode since the beginning and read all the books, and I will keep going until the bitter end, but it is really starting to feel like more of a slog. I'm glad D&D have been told by GRRM where they're going (or else I'd start to be worried about a Lost/X-Files style complete loss of direction and coherence) but I really don't like the way they're getting there. There are decisions they've made in adapting the books for the small screen that I approved of on paper, but the way they've played out has been disappointing. Examples: Sansa going to Winterfell, Jaime going to Dorne, Davos staying with Stannis, etc.

The only thing I am truly excited about is Dany/Tyrion. First, because of course that meeting has STILL not happened in the books (seriously, GRRM, edit yourself some!), and second because Dany's storyline on the show hasn't been interesting to me since literally Season 1, and Tyrion is my favourite character (along with Jon) so he is sure to liven up proceedings in Essos.

Anyway, a 6 because the KL, Wall, and Essos stuff is good, and no more than that because Dorne remains a hot mess and Sansa/Winterfell is just upsetting and, so far, pointless for her character development (we'll see what happens with Chekhov's corkscrew). Stannis storyline is neutral at the moment, but if they burn Shireen I am going to be really pissed off.

Well, Last week’s “Game of Thrones” was the least-watched and lowest-rated episode since the third season finale.This week’s episode delivered even weaker numbers. Airing on the eve of Memorial Day, Sunday’s “Game of Thrones” drew a 2.53 adults 18-49 rating with 5.40 million viewers. Both numbers are the lowest drawn by a season five–or season four–episode.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/05/27/ratings-hbos-game-of-thrones-sinks-to-another-two-year-low/

Well, Last week’s “Game of Thrones” was the least-watched and lowest-rated episode since the third season finale.This week’s episode delivered even weaker numbers. Airing on the eve of Memorial Day, Sunday’s “Game of Thrones” drew a 2.53 adults 18-49 rating with 5.40 million viewers. Both numbers are the lowest drawn by a season five–or season four–episode.

http://headlineplanet.com/home/2015/05/27/ratings-hbos-game-of-thrones-sinks-to-another-two-year-low/

Unsurprising. A lot of people were turned off by the Sansa rape. Also, everything is just really sloppy this season. Even some of the acting seems phoned in.

Unsurprising. A lot of people were turned off by the Sansa rape. Also, everything is just really sloppy this season. Even some of the acting seems phoned in.

I don't think Sansan thing is a major factor, It is more about the general low quality of this season, and the episode 6 is especially bad, what would expect from audience to the horrible scenes of the Dorne and King's landing? I guess that is why HBO decides to air episode 7 on memorial weekend, they expect the big drop the TV ratings, and they can say it is all because of holiday weekend, that excuse may give them breath room, and hop the ratings would rise in the next Sunday

They won't be happy with this US trend, which has been steadily down since the start of the season. Of course this season was always going to be a struggle to keep up with season 4, given the weaker plot material.

i suspect that there is a limit to the number of viewers for this sort of show, and season 4 probably established it .

of course you could put the alternative viewpoint that this episode still had stronger viewership than the Red wedding....

Very interesting to see what happens next week- a post T&D bump or the trend continues.

They won't be happy with this US trend, which has been steadily down since the start of the season. Of course this season was always going to be a struggle to keep up with season 4, given the weaker plot material.

I am amazing how much distance people would go to excuse D&D's bad decisions, how could you blame the source material when D&D hardly use original source material and decide to create stories of their own?

We are finally getting past the 'world building' phase, and moving on into the high points of the books - hopefully without all those cliffhangers that ruined the reading for me.

The conflicts I've been looking forward to for 5 years are upon us ... Harpies vs Dany's Gang, Stannis vs Boltons .... and I get to visit Hardhome as a bonus. Since the casting news for this season, I've been anxious about the roles Sixskins and Birgitte H Sorensen will be playing. And now Sansa has a weapon. Ho Ho Ho!

I am amazing how much distance people would go to excuse D&D's bad decisions, how could you blame the source material when D&D hardly use original source material and decide to create stories of their own?

You think its all plot, not the characters you have to work with ? Ok, simple question: who killed off Tywin Lannister, and the Hound, and Joffrey? What show could lose 3 massive characters like that in a season and not suffer from the loss the following season??

Just reflect on that for a moment - has there been a single scene one of the above was in that wasn't top notch? And all whoosh gone this year and the need to get the audience invested in other characters.

And who decided that Dany would be stuck in god damned Meeren for the 3rd season to the intense exasperation and bemusement of most viewers I'm sure.

And who decided to put favourite character Arya in a slow moving plot in Braavos.

Or introduce a new location and new characters 5 seasons in to a show?

any of that within D&D's power?

Yeah actually it is. They've already made big changes, so make more. You cannot pick and choose when you use the "but, but it happened this way in the book." Not with this precedent already set.

so they can resurrect Tywn, the Hound and Joffrey? Did you read the bit about characters being important, not just plot??

in other respects they maybe tried too hard to stay to the books, they should have cut Dornish characters even more if possible. But what about god damned Meeren? they alreadt trimmed all the sellsword and siege digresssion,but hard to get Dany out of this place any faster than a season...

Gave it a 5. The episode was mediocre at best, with lots of downright awful scenes.

Dorne - can't even. Also takes the cake for worst costumes/accessories ever.

Another rape attempt. Any sweetness must be stripped from the story.

I was happy to see Sam's pet wolf, but unfortunately he was gone before I could remember his name.

Mel the Black Dread, and it wasn't even too dark n the tent. Stannis checking her bum. The 'let's burn your only daughter' exchange.

Hate show!Tormund. But hate ChekhOlly so much more.

There are several other things I didn't like but I've already forgotten most of the details.

And the pacing! The pacing is completely off, I keep getting the same feeling since ep 1: it rushes and drags at the same time.

You think its all plot, not the characters you have to work with ? Ok, simple question: who killed off Tywin Lannister, and the Hound, and Joffrey? What show could lose 3 massive characters like that in a season and not suffer from the loss the following season??

Just reflect on that for a moment - has there been a single scene one of the above was in that wasn't top notch? And all whoosh gone this year and the need to get the audience invested in other characters.

Are you working for D&D or HBO or something? It is rather things to read this kind of non sense again and again, let me ask your:

1) we are talking about the 5th season of game of throne, not the song of ice and fire novels, yes?

2) Do you agree D&D made a decision to deviate from the novel so dramatically that the stories of this season almost have nothing to do with the original novel?

3) Since D&D decided to create their own stories for this season, then even the late two novels suck big time, what does that have anything to do with the failure of the 5th season of game of throne ?

Are you working for D&D or HBO or something? It is rather things to read this kind of non sense again and again, let me ask your:

1) we are talking about the 5th season of game of throne, not the song of ice and fire novels, yes?

2) Do you agree D&D made a decision to deviate from the novel so dramatically that the stories of this season almost have nothing to do with the original novel?

3) Since D&D decided to create their own stories for this season, then even the late two novels suck big time, what does that have anything to do with the failure of the 5th season of game of throne ?

once again and really concentrate this time:

if three of the key characters in the first 4 seasons have to be killed off because they have been killed off in book 3, that means they can't be used in season 5, which doesn't' help in keeping momentum.

so before any adaptation from books 4 and 5 into season 5 had begun, there was already a loss of key characters to have to deal with,particularly in King's Landing. Are you with me so far??

Established characters and settings with a decent plot are what viewers want most. The most successful setting this season - the WALL, has that.

The least successful: Dorne; has in some cases got neither.

KL has been ok, but not as good as previous season because 2 of the main characters are dead and 2 more [varys, tyrion ] are not around.

the average viewer is sick of Meereen, but as books 4 and 5 are still set there, it is very hard to do anything but continue to be based there.

That is how the books influence the show even before you get to adaptation.

Joffrey died in 4x02 and the ratings were fine after that so I don't think his death really had an impact... The problem is that they haven't found an effective way to replace the characters they've lost. If they had stuck more closely to the books, for example, Alexander Siddig would have easily filled the gap Charles Dance left. Sticking to Cersei's book characterisation also would have meant they were left with a strong central villain to take Joffrey's place.

And what about Lady Stoneheart? I'm sure you'll reply that "she doesn't do anything in the books"... But in that case, why not move her plot forward? Have Brienne run into her around 5x06, her trial in 5x07, and then have Jaime meet and interact with her in the last two episodes. They've brought forward Tyrion meeting Dany, so why not bring that forward too?

Then there's the fact that they've just cut or ignored so much of the depth in AFfC and ADwD: the siege of Meereen, the slow uprising of the Faith, the huge impact of Dany's war on slavery across the world, Dany's growing reputation, etc.

And if the complaint is that not enough happens in AFfC/ADwD, why cut one of the storylines that actually sees some major development? Aegon is revealed, the Golden Company join him, he invades the Stormlands and prepares to march on Storm's End.

I understand that season 5 is a little bit late to add too many new characters, but in that case why didn't they deal with that back in season 4? They had two seasons to cover ASoS, in which time they could have dealt far more effectively with the influx of new characters.

So really I don't think the problem lies with the source material. The problem is that the audience don't really care about the characters anymore - they either have no growth or they change on a whim between episodes. D&D have prioritised plot twists over characters and it's really starting to have an effect. I remember watching season 1 back in 2011 before I'd read the books, and I can say without a doubt that the discussions after each episode were just so much different than they are now. Back then it was actually possible for unsullied viewers to speculate on what was going to happen next, because the show was actually logical and character-driven.

Joffrey died in 4x02 and the ratings were fine after that so I don't think his death really had an impact... The problem is that they haven't found an effective way to replace the characters they've lost. If they had stuck more closely to the books, for example, Alexander Siddig would have easily filled the gap Charles Dance left. Sticking to Cersei's book characterisation also would have meant they were left with a strong central villain to take Joffrey's place.

And what about Lady Stoneheart? I'm sure you'll reply that "she doesn't do anything in the books"... But in that case, why not move her plot forward? Have Brienne run into her around 5x06, her trial in 5x07, and then have Jaime meet and interact with her in the last two episodes. They've brought forward Tyrion meeting Dany, so why not bring that forward too?

Then there's the fact that they've just cut or ignored so much of the depth in AFfC and ADwD: the siege of Meereen, the slow uprising of the Faith, the huge impact of Dany's war on slavery across the world, Dany's growing reputation, etc.

And if the complaint is that not enough happens in AFfC/ADwD, why cut one of the storylines that actually sees some major development? Aegon is revealed, the Golden Company join him, he invades the Stormlands and prepares to march on Storm's End.

I understand that season 5 is a little bit late to add too many new characters, but in that case why didn't they deal with that back in season 4? They had two seasons to cover ASoS, in which time they could have dealt far more effectively with the influx of new characters.

So really I don't think the problem lies with the source material. The problem is that the audience don't really care about the characters anymore - they either have no growth or they change on a whim between episodes. D&D have prioritised plot twists over characters and it's really starting to have an effect. I remember watching season 1 back in 2011 before I'd read the books, and I can say without a doubt that the discussions after each episode were just so much different than they are now. Back then it was actually possible for unsullied viewers to speculate on what was going to happen next, because the show was actually logical and character-driven.

i haven't time to reply to all of this now, but any comment that suggest more Meereen as a solution to anything does not appreciate the utter exasperation unsullied have for this, after 3 seasons of being there or thereabouts. It is a holding pattern before Westeros; viewers know it, and readers know and the vast majority had enough of it a long time ago.

i haven't time to reply to all of this now, but any comment that suggest more Meereen as a solution to anything does not appreciate the utter exasperation unsullied have for this, after 3 seasons of being there or thereabouts. It is a holding pattern before Westeros; viewers know it, and readers know and the vast majority had enough of it a long time ago.

I never said more Meereen; I said that they should have focused more on the external threat to Daenerys. And with Tyrion meeting up with Dany I'm not even sure I agree that Meereen is such a problem on the show.

Plus - if they had stuck to the books - Daznak's Pit would happen earlier, Quentyn would try and tame the dragons, and Barristan would overthrow Hizdahr.

once again and really concentrate this time:

if three of the key characters in the first 4 seasons have to be killed off because they have been killed off in book 3, that means they can't be used in season 5, which doesn't' help in keeping momentum.

so before any adaptation from books 4 and 5 into season 5 had begun, there was already a loss of key characters to have to deal with,particularly in King's Landing. Are you with me so far??

Established characters and settings with a decent plot are what viewers want most. The most successful setting this season - the WALL, has that.

The least successful: Dorne; has in some cases got neither.

KL has been ok, but not as good as previous season because 2 of the main characters are dead and 2 more [varys, tyrion ] are not around.

the average viewer is sick of Meereen, but as books 4 and 5 are still set there, it is very hard to do anything but continue to be based there.

That is how the books influence the show even before you get to adaptation.

KL might have been better if they had made it more about Cersei's downfall. We could have seen more of Pycelle, Kevan Lannister, Qyborn, even QOT. Perhaps characterizing Marg Boleyn Tyrell as a mean girl was a mistake, because she too became unsympathetic. Perhaps aging up Tommen was a mistake and the original plot of a young boy practically held captive by his bitch mother who was intent on ruling finally would have been better. The story would have then been centered around one figure, Cersei, and her unraveling. Not throwing in Marg and Tommen and Gay Loras to spice things up.

I agree people are sick of Meereen but it's been done pretty well considering.

And, if they needed people for the viewers to identify and root for. Hey, what happened to the riverlands. The brotherhood without banners, Thoros, Beric, Gendry, Cat Stark Lady Stoneheart, Brienne, the Blackfish. Instead of Dorne, maybe viewers would have been more interested in this story, which the show could have always built out and invented new material for.

Losing Charles Dance was always going to be a big blow, and considering how popular Pedro Pascal was, also a blow. But, a better planned path instead of this scattershot crap we got I think would have worked much better.