[Poll] How would you rate episode 507?

Ran

How would you rate episode 507?  

642 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

If I enjoy a book or a series of books a lot, and it holds up under scrutiny then it is great literature. That is all it needs to be. I don't get this position where people can absolutely love a book series (often writing thousands of posts on a forum about it) but because it doesn't fit some nebulous criteria of a "classic" or "great literature" they will refuse to call it anything more than pulpy fun.

Well, I do understand what you saying, but your first sentence is in effect the point of what I am saying. You state, If I enjoy a book or a series of books a lot, and it holds up under scrutiny then it is great literature.

If you had added just two more words to your statement I would totally agree with you. Those words are ~to me~.

Your statement would then be If I enjoy a book or a series of books a lot, and it holds up under scrutiny then it is great literature to me. Just because you enjoy a book or a series does not mean it is great literature. It is simply a book that is great to you. By the same token just because something is not great literature, does not make it a bad book that no one should read. I read lots of books that could not possibly be called great literature, but I love those books and vice versa. I have read some books that are called great literature and I just was not that crazy about them. This also holds true for movies and TV shows. For example the movie The Godfather is always at the top of the lists for greatest movies of all times. However I just am not crazy about that movie. I do not think it is a bad movie, but I am just not crazy about mob stories. I do not know why, but they just do not grab me for some reason. For that same reason, The Sopranos are not at the top of my list either. I like The Sopranos, but for me, once again, the mob story just sort of annoyed me. I know, I know, everyone loves that movie and that show, but for some reason the mob story always stops me from going past simply liking them.

All I am saying is that you are allowing your personal feelings for something color your judgment and that is perfectly alright. I like the books and I like the show as well. I do not think the books are as great as you think for several reasons, but that does not mean that I did not enjoy them immensely at times. I also do not think the show is as bad as the book purists think it is. Is it perfect? Well frankly no, but I still like it.

Now back to the topic at hand. I really enjoyed the episode and it made me look forward to the next 3. I thought it really brought some things around that will set up the rest of the events for this season.

By the way, this is for the person that did not like Lady Olenna saying the word shagging. I too, felt that it was jarringly out of place and Austin Powers did come to mind. It just did not fit in the setting or with an older character. It was sort of like when your grandmother tries to say something like totes obvs. it just does not fit.

Without wanting to contradict the mods' orders, let me say that even if Feast and Dance had been the mediocre books many believe they are, that's not excuse for a poor adaptation. Au contraire, that would be an incentive to improve them and fix the alleged mistakes. Specially because they belong to a series of book in which the previous tomes are considered better, so it's not like someone said "oh, let's take these horrible books and make a movie/show!". Someone aware of the fandom would have taken the unpopularity of the books to turn it into a much better product and they carry on with the next instalments. That was not the case.

Give it a 7. Best of the season so far but that's not saying much. Enjoyed the wall parts the best. Glad they included ' egg, I dreamed I was a boy' but sad to see Aemon go :( wondered why ghost turned up to save the day- shouldn't he be hunting or with Jon snow? Guess Jon snow was worried ghost would get seasick didn't like Tyrion beating up the slaver, just seemed untyrion like, he'd use his wit to be baught by jorahs slaver instead of resorting to beat up the puny slaver with a chain, as if the others would stand by and watch anyway? And let's not forget the Bronn/Tyene scene - lovely to look at cant deny that but seemed utterly pointless other than to get the boob count up, my unsullied other half actually burst out laughing and said wtf?! Wish that some of these pointless additions to the story could have instead of been used to give better character building or story progress, looking forward to next episode though ,fingers crossed it's a good 'un

Give it a 7. Best of the season so far but that's not saying much. Enjoyed the wall parts the best. Glad they included ' egg, I dreamed I was a boy' but sad to see Aemon go :( wondered why ghost turned up to save the day- shouldn't he be hunting or with Jon snow? Guess Jon snow was worried ghost would get seasick didn't like Tyrion beating up the slaver, just seemed untyrion like, he'd use his wit to be baught by jorahs slaver instead of resorting to beat up the puny slaver with a chain, as if the others would stand by and watch anyway? And let's not forget the Bronn/Tyene scene - lovely to look at cant deny that but seemed utterly pointless other than to get the boob count up, my unsullied other half actually burst out laughing and said wtf?! Wish that some of these pointless additions to the story could have instead of been used to give better character building or story progress, looking forward to next episode though ,fingers crossed it's a good 'un

I watched this episode with my dad and my sister and their reaction to the Bronn/Tyene was pretty much the same.

You can have it both ways. The source can be shit and the deviations the show takes from them can also be shit.

You can do a shit painting of a bird. And I can go, I'm going to do a better painting, of the same bird - but mine turns out shit also :)

I'm not going to get into specific differences - just the overall narrative structure, complexity and connectedness was greater in books 1-3, seasons 1-4. A tight plot became lose, in both book and show. The show is trying to make the meandering looseness of the books seem more urgent, but cutting out some elements, inserting some fan service and favoring Tyrion but the result is something that is disconnected and often lacks plausibility.

Boring vs stupid - these are the options for what ASoIaF/GoTs has become - which is sad, because they both started tight and intelligent. You can say that the show's stupidity is the culmination of bad writing by the show runners but one can also claim the boring and meandering books that are AFFC and ADWD represent a lack of organisation, discipline and planning on GRRMs part as a writer.

Oh and re the Martells - too little too late. This saga doesn't need an all new family just after mid way through the overall plot. That's actually pretty clumsy storytelling. I'm starting to think GRRM should never have tried to expand past 3 or 4 books and the show should have been organised around 5 seasons. The easiest way to ruin something is to make it go on to long, which GoTs/ASoIaF seems to have done.

Fuck the Martells, really - Obyren was in a cool scene with the Mountain and there is backstory to justify why, that's all that is needed. What is needed is conclusion for the primary characters Jon. Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Bran and secondary Jamie, Cersie, Sansa, Theon, Stannis - as well as conclusion for the villainous characters like Roose, Ramsay, LF and Walder, resolution for the IT, along with the world and magics growing in it like Others and dragons. Everything else is ultimately superfluous and detracts from the tale remaining tight and focused.

Our opinions may not always or often correlate, but your objective ideas supported by specific details in posts such as this are always appreciated, and what I love about this forum. :thumbsup:

Yeah, what was (in the first couple seasons) edgy and unpredictable has become sloppy and kind of scattered. I'm holding out hope that they get it back on track

Ummester, why have you suddenly changed your tune? Before, you were perfectly content with criticizing the books to put the show on a better light. Now you criticize the books for failing to provide the show with the necessary ingredients so as not to suck. Have some consistency man!

It was this season of the show that really made me realise how meandering and disconnected books 4&5 were - I didn't notice as much reading them, I recognised they would be a lot more difficult to make into good TV than the 1st 3 books and I did get incredibly bored with ADWD - but I thought there might be enough between the 2 books to make into 1 tightly packed season of TV, similar to seasons 1-4 of the show.

It's not one thing with the show that is starting to turn me off it. The problems are mounting.

Before this season the only thing I really didn't like was the Jason and the Argonauts skeletons and fireball CotF at the end of season 4 - it's tone was just so jarringly wrong for what had been established.

This season we have had soppy eyed drogon in episode 2 and (even though they tried to get the tone right here) a really dodgy looking cg body being devoured by dragons later on.

We also have little Sam aging at an entirely different rate to the rest of the children in the show - I can't think about that and take the show seriously. Finally, we had Tyrion beating a slaver, in full view of other slavers, who just laugh, because the show has to maintain it's Tyrion hour status or something - show Tyrion is becoming a ridiculous cliché of himself, which actually makes me miss hating GRRMs ADWD Tyrion :D

There are 4 times as many things that have annoyed me in GoTs this season than the prior 4 seasons combined and they have made me appreciate just how far off track the source became. My critique is consistent, it's just increasing the more I think about it. My fear this season has always been that the saga (in book and show form) is doomed to mediocrity after such a stunning start - I remain worried and undecided.

NB - I don't have a problem with the magical elements - I like them. I liked Bloodraven in the show, I like the dragons (when they don't look soppy), I like the presentation of the white walkers and I liked Mel's shadow baby (as silly as the concept is) but I don't like things that break tone and feel out of place - things that feel out of place destroy my SOD more quickly than anything else.

The sandsnakes, for instance, feel out of place because they are worse acted and written than every other character in the show. If something is really good, a single bad element is more noticeable and can bring it right down for me. Whereas if something is consistently shit, I can appreciate it for what it is - because it doesn't break it's own tone or established presentation standards.

I can be a fairly harsh and unforgiving critic - but at the same time I haven't lost hope entirely for GoTs yet. Prison break I stopped at the start of season 2, Walking Dead around Season 3, Son's of Anarchy around Season 3 - because they just lost it, as far as I was concerned. GoTs isn't quite there yet.

Edited by ummester

Prison break I stopped at the start of season 2, Walking Dead around Season 3, Son's of Anarchy around Season 3 - because they just lost it, as far as I was concerned. GoTs isn't quite there yet.

Prison Break's seasons 2-4 were decidedly inferior than S01, but silly elements and all, they're more consistent and entertaining than S05 of GoT. My opinion. And i also keep thinking that blaming S05's shortcomings on the books is kind of absurd (one doesn't follow the others at all).

Anyway, off to the next episode. I hope i can at least give it a 4.