[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion

Chebyshov

Stop it! You're thinking waaaaayyyyyy too much! Don't you know that way lies only madness (and disappointment, of course)?!!

What's even better they tell her to light the candle in The Ruined Tower, which presumably doesn't have any windows....during a blizzard.

And the worst part is that they go to shoot in all these impressive locations, but the camerawork is so basic that we only get the most standard conversation of two characters with a cool backdrop, and that's it. The camerawork is so safe that on the rare occasion they do something that strays just the tiniest bit from the norm it stands out like a sore thumb.

Like, somewhere in the last episodes I thought I noticed the slightest Dutch tilt and I practically cheered.

I imagine a conversation between D&D and HBO going something like this.

"So listen we've booked in all these location shoots in Europe, and well too be honest it's costing millions"

"Tha fuck! You think money grows on trees?"

"Look chill, don't worry. We hired the DP from the Bold and the Beautiful and he'll work for peanuts, we got this".

How is it that Vikings does that so much better (or at least more interestingly) for what I think is only a fraction of the budget?

And Penny Dreadful. How is it that in episode 3 of this season they accomplished more visually with a fucking barren tree than GoT has done with whatever it is they've got? That tree had more presence than all the Sand Snakes put together, by the way, and if you watched the episode you know what tree I'm talking about.

And Penny Dreadful. How is it that in episode 3 of this season they accomplished more visually with a fucking barren tree than GoT has done with whatever it is they've got? That tree had more presence than all the Sand Snakes put together, by the way, and if you watched the episode you know what tree I'm talking about.

Episode 3 was phenomenal :bowdown:

They also manage nudity and sex quite well. Except perhaps with Dorian

Helen McCroy whipping and shaming the Lord didn't feel gratuitous out of place at all, for example.

What's even better they tell her to light the candle in The Ruined Tower, which presumably doesn't have any windows....during a blizzard.

There you go, thinkin' again! :P

I'm still trying to figure out who told Ramsey about the old woman? Couldn't have been Theek. Also, what is the visibility of a single candle during a blizzard? 10 miles? 20? :rolleyes:

There you go, thinkin' again! :P

I'm still trying to figure out who told Ramsey about the old woman? Couldn't have been Theek. Also, what is the visibility of a single candle during a blizzard? 10 miles? 20? :rolleyes:

I'm assuming the old woman rigged up some sort of Bat-Signal. So, might even bring LF running, who knows

- Myrcella says she was in Dorne for "years". Wha?

- The old actress that played Myrcella doesn't look much different than the new one.

- That one sept looked as big as Brienne. A stuntwoman for sure but wow such size.

Based on the direction the show is heading, she could very well be Sandor Clegane in a elaborate disguise

I'm assuming the old woman rigged up some sort of Bat-Signal. So, might even bring LF running, who knows

Haha. Can not stop picturing Littlefinger doing a Christian Bale voice: WINTERFELL NEEDS ME :laugh:

Penny Dreadful also didn't do a rape scene, when the female protagonist is being held prisoner and had the villain of the episode make a pass at her earlier in the episode. After the previous episode of GOT I was so depressed that they would go there, but they didn't. Yeah!

I haven't watched Vikings but for what I've heard, they rely on storytelling rather than on boobs and blood.

But surely they lose their audience for it is known people cannot cope with more than 10mins without a boob.

Episode 3 was phenomenal :bowdown:

They also manage nudity and sex quite well. Except perhaps with Dorian

Helen McCroy whipping and shaming the Lord didn't feel gratuitous out of place at all, for example.

Even the full frontal nudity didn't seem gratuitous.

- Myrcella says she was in Dorne for "years". Wha?

- The old actress that played Myrcella doesn't look much different than the new one.

- That one sept looked as big as Brienne. A stuntwoman for sure but wow such size.

That would be either Septa Moelle, Septa Unella, or Septa Scolera. From the look of this episode and next episode's preview, she might very well be the most faithfully adapted book character. Don't worry, though. I'm sure D&D will find a way to get her naked or have her slaughter someone with her bare hands or both at the same time.

Although this episode was probably one of my favourite so far this season there are still some thing I am really not too keen on:

Dorne.

As a whole this is just filler material with some boobs and Bron occasionally dropping f-bombs. It really doesn't serve any purpose. Even in the books I must admit I felt Dorne was an unwelcome distraction and a case of adding in too many extra characters with not enough time to really enjoy them or get used to them. For the show to use Dorne but yet drop other aspects like Jamie's Riverlands plot and the whole Iron Islands arc (when we've already been introduced to them!) just seems like they have no idea what they are doing.

All this arc will turn out ot be is a distraction or and excuse to squeeze in some sort of Dornish invasion that D&D have dreamed up. Even in the books it's fairly obvious that whatever happens in Dorne is pretty minor compared to the massive plotlines in KL, the North or over in Mereen.

I just feel they could have dropped this whole arc and gone with the Iron Islands if they wanted to add in another party to the game. After all the Ironborn are fairly well fleshed out thus far.

Tyrion & Friendzone meet Danny.

I know it's what a lot of non-reader and readers have been waiting for with barely contained excitement but I feel concerned that we are now past the point of no return with this plot. We are either going to be deep into spoiler territory here or are going to be treated to the worst D&D fan-fic they can dream up whilst other plotlines catch up to where they need them to be.

Sansa.

She is both tormented and strong at the same time. She is being treated like a plaything at night but still has the balls to call Ramsay a bastard to his face. That's a pretty decent bit of character development from the foolish girl we had at the start of S1.

HOWEVER....why the hell does she go and trust Theon when she barely knows who he works for? She didn't fall for Myranda's trick last episode but she's dumb enough to trust Theon with her escape plan?!?! I'd at least expect him to prove his loyalty before I put any trust in him.

ALSO...why the hell does Theon not just tell Sansa he never killed her brothers! I mean come on if he wants to get the guilt off his chest then telling her at least is the best way forwards. If he can't even do that then how is he ever going to redeem himself?

Are we now going to be treated to repeats each week of Sansa trying to break Theon with various escape attempts, each one failing and ending in a poor northern peasant being flayed until she finally succeeds?

Plus that whole escape plan is just crap. How many northerners are seriously going to be hanging around waiting for a signal or even going to have the guts to break into the place and bust her out. Heck even Brienne (who seems dumb enough to sit in the snow freezing to death waiting for that signal) couldn't go Rambo through their and get out alive! The place is crawling with Bolton men plus Ramsay is a lunatic so he's probably kill Sansa at the first sign of trouble. Even if Brienne sneaks in she's a bloody great big knight, not a sneaky assassin type like Mance & co. were in the books. And also the whole escape plot works in the books because there's the wedding at WF so there's lots of people thee who wouldn't normally be, so sneaking in and out is easier. Trying to do this when the place is on alert for an attack they know is coming is just plain daft.

Finally.....that kid at the wall.

Seriously, to those of us who've read the book they may as well put a sign over the dammed kid. We all know what is coming and we know what he's going to do so quit making it so obvious. If this all turns out to be some sort of red herring then you've wasted time by elevating such a minor character.

I'm so glad the show has improved upon the books, cause I finally understand why it was so important to open those fighting pits. Like 12 people showed up to watch. Mereen is obviously in dire need of the boost to the economy the fighting pits provide.

:bang:

Finally.....that kid at the wall.

Seriously, to those of us who've read the book they may as well put a sign over the dammed kid. We all know what is coming and we know what he's going to do so quit making it so obvious. If this all turns out to be some sort of red herring then you've wasted time by elevating such a minor character.

I rather feel that it's not being done for the benefit of us book readers...

I'm so glad the show has improved upon the books, cause I finally understand why it was so important to open those fighting pits. Like 12 people showed up to watch. Mereen is obviously in dire need of the boost to the economy the fighting pits provide.

This... I forgot how daft this whole section was!

So the slavers think that just because they pay a pittance to their "fighters" Danny will just be happy whilst they kill each other for their master's profits!?? !?!? WTF!

Also if they are supposedly free men fighting willingly will nobody notice the fact that THEY ARE ALL IN CHAINS BEFORE THE FIGHTS SO ARE CLEARLY STILL SLAVES!!!!!

She outlawed slavery but yet is so dumb she cannot see it happening right before her eyes! Plus if/when she speaks to T & J their story will essentially confirm that they were captured and treated as slaves, therefore proving to her that the fighting pits are a big mistake and slavery is still ongoing!

HOWEVER....why the hell does she go and trust Theon when she barely knows who he works for? She didn't fall for Myranda's trick last episode but she's dumb enough to trust Theon with her escape plan?!?! I'd at least expect him to prove his loyalty before I put any trust in him.

Despite the raping and beating, Sansa knows that the Boltons need her at least until getting a son from her. So, she knows that she would not be killed for that attempt. Besides, she is already kept under locks. So, she didnot have much to lose.

Archived