The portrayal of the Sparrows

C.T. Phipps

Did they? Wasn't the FM in the books carving the seven pointed star in their chests like the Andals invaders of old? And weren't they attacking brothels and other establishments?

I think that's the different between seeing it on tv and reading it on a book among hundreds of other characters.

No, they weren't attacking brothels.

They are mentioned as going in a brothel and dragging out a member of the Most Devout, to then undress him and force him to parade the streets naked, as they did with Cersei later. Not exactly brothel friendly, but not exactly entering brothels and clubbing sinners left and right while cackling like they do in the show.

Yah i don't buy this high sparrow's occupy wall street philosophy bullshit on show!

Church and religion had very prominent role in medieval society but the clergy were just another class of nobles, this approach of social and peasant focused philosophy didn't developed until modern or industrial period.

The Fraticelli would disagree with you.

No, they weren't attacking brothels.

They are mentioned as going in a brothel and dragging out a member of the Most Devout, to then undress him and force him to parade the streets naked, as they did with Cersei later. Not exactly brothel friendly, but not exactly entering brothels and clubbing sinners left and right while cackling like they do in the show.

The Fraticelli would disagree with you.

I have not read about Fraticelli in detail and i may be wrong but werent they religious reformation movement that challenged the power and wealth of church and clergy without much social and political leanings?

Among others. For me, personally, sparrows seem similar to radical Hussites. (Still, good three hundred plus years before the industrial revolution).

Hussites are good parallel.

What i meant to say was no such movements were largely succesful and eventually concede to power of church and aristocracy (Hussites too were eventually subjugated). Industrial revolution started the era when such movements started succeeding.

Hussites are good parallel.

What i meant to say was no such movements were largely succesful and eventually concede to power of church and aristocracy (Hussites too were eventually subjugated). Industrial revolution started the era when such movements started succeeding.

Hussites were eventually subjugated, but before that happened, they kicked ass for several years.

Sparrows have their five minutes now. It seems to have lasted only a few months so far. Too early to call them "successful", maybe they'll be finished before spring comes. But to make an impact for a short period of time, and seemingly limited to one city - yes, I'd say that's quite realistic.

I have not read about Fraticelli in detail and i may be wrong but werent they religious reformation movement that challenged the power and wealth of church and clergy without much social and political leanings?

They opposed the opulence of the Church, arguing that its wealth should be used to help the poor instead, being much more in-line with the virtues of charity and humility.

While it affected mostly the clergy and its interests were mainly theological in nature, the movement did have a considerable social/populist leaning.

Hey so a quick question, if one doesn't follow the seven pointed star can they or will they still punish one accordingly? That is to say will they punish one for breaking the seven pointed stars laws and rules?

If they are anything like real world Christians and Muslims, they would force that person to convert under threat of death, and once he or she has converted, they would judge and punish him or her according to their laws.

Also, until the XX century homosexuality and adultery were considered crimes in civil law codes. For example, US still has a load of Sodomy Laws that are technically still in force, even if they aren't enforced anymore.

Archived