The "Handsome Young Man" (Show Spoilers)

TheRoseWithThorns

Hey Everyone!

I certainly enjoyed Episode 7 (the last 10 - 15 minutes were very satisfying)! Anyway, in this episode Petyr Baelish meets Lady Olenna to discuss the future of House Tyrell. Olenna lets him have it, but Petyr says he still wants to support them and that he has a gift for them, a handsome young man!

Could this be Jon Snow, maybe the lost Gendry?

Comment Away!! :eek: :cool4:

Aegon

Oh, the hope...

how would he serve the Tyrells though? Margaery is already married to Tommen and consummated. They are tied to the Lannisters... as long as Tommen lives.

OP, was just going to ask that question. Who is it, pray...

It's either Olyvar or Gendry. The latter would be a surprise callback to earlier seasons, but I admit I don't fully see the plan. Unveil Robert's bastard, pretend this is absolute proof of Tommen's incest-born illegitimacy, remove him as king and point out that now Margaery is no queen and Loras is no brother to a queen, and the High Septon may decide it's not worth his time... ? That feels odd to me.

Olyvar seems more straightforward: reveal him as Littlefinger's agent all along, indicate that he was lying... or perhaps simply have him recant his testimony (the only evidence that exists against Loras and Margaery), maybe even go further and have him hop aboard the Cersei train and claim that he, too, had intimate relations with the queen. But if they wanted to keep to the books (....) the High Sparrow would not be opposed to the use of torture to confirm evidence, and so Olyvar really should be tortured to see if what he finally says is "true" (we all know that's not how torture really works, but in Westeros the High Sparrow certainly thinks it does in at least some cases).

God-Emperor's alternative suggestion, that Olyvar would be killed off before he can testify, also works pretty well. Turning, I suppose, on the fact that Littlefinger controls much of the bureaucracy, including presumably parts of the gold cloaks, the gaolers, etc.? Though how that helps when the Faith Militant is holding Olyvar, I don't know. But this would fit their talk of this being a bloody season. And certainly, there seems to be no real reason to keep Olyvar around after this point. There's no one left for him to seduce.

Oliver testified with the birthmark description in the "pretrial". If we are ignoring the "a squire may see him naked and would know about it without sex" argument, then someone confirming the mark is all that is needed. Oliver doesn't have to be at the trial and they can't just say he lied.

I think Loras is screwed (pun intended). However, the smallfolk love Margary and are the "many". I don't think they would go along with the HS doing something drastic to her. Lancel hinted to Cersei the first time we saw him this season that he had confessed and had his sins absolved and she should too. In my opinion, the most reasonable gift from LF to QOT would be something that keeps HG in play via Margary.

Logically Olyvar makes more sense than Lancel. Lancel joined the faith and confessed his crimes a long time ago, and I think the High Sparrow was just biding his time - I don't think we're supposed to believe that, since the Littlefinger/Olenna scene ended, Olenna or Littlefinger has gone to Lancel, told him to tell the High Sparrow, and then Lancel has confessed, and so on.

My best guess is that Littlefinger knows where Olyvar is being held, and, you know, young men fall and break their necks while walking along a hallway all the time. Without a witness, the case presumably falls apart. Him recanting his testimony is also possible, but while that may perhaps be Margaery's way, I don't think it's Lady Olenna's.

Illogically - who knows what the show may do, and yes, there's a possibility it could be Lancel. They sometimes, unfortunately, drop the ball on these sorts of things. The show may never address this again and we'll never know. (Hello strange Valyrian-equipped Bran assassin!)

Slightly off-topic inquiry: does Lancel know about Cersei's infidelity with Jaime? Of course, he "knows" the same way that everyone else does, but does he have any dirt on her beyond her infidelity with him and the murder of King Robert?

Archived