The true location of Dany's house with the red door

I've been pretty partial to the argument that Dany's memories of the house with the red door, with the lemon tree outside had to have been in Dorne as opposed to Braavos. This theory has been rehashed enough times before so I'm not going to go back into it. But the question remained that if her red door house was in Dorne, where in Dorne would this house have been located? During a recent reread of AFOC, I think I may have found the location.

During Arianne's flight to the Greenblood river where the houseboats of the Orphans of the Greenblood were located, we get this description:

Beyond a line of stony hills the grass grew greener and more lush, and there were lemon orchards watered by a spider's web of old canals. Garin was the first to spy the river glimmering in green...

Low of roof and wide abeam, the poleboats had hardly any draft to speak of; the Young Dragon had disparaged them as "hovels built on rafts," but that was hardly fair. All but the poorest orphan boats were wonderfully carved and painted.

Dany describes the house as a big house with a red door. She recalls running barefoot to the house. She also recalls a lemon tree outside the window. In the House of the Undying, she sees a vision inside of the house described thusly:

I know this room, she thought. She remembered those great wooden beams and the carved animal faces that adorned them. And there outside the window, a lemon tree! The sight of it mader her heart ache with longing. It is the house with the red door, the house in Braavos.

While Dany thought of it as a big house, childhood memories, especially half-remembered memories like she has, makes you recall things as being bigger then they actually were. Here we have the grass where a young girl could have run through barefoot, the lemon trees, carved wood, and beams. Pretty much everything that jives with her memories of the red door house.

Makes sense to me. If it isn't in then its one of the biggest Yellow Herring in the book. Dorne and lemons is brought up too many times to not be important.

I've been pretty partial to the argument that Dany's memories of the house with the red door, with the lemon tree outside had to have been in Dorne as opposed to Braavos. This theory has been rehashed enough times before so I'm not going to go back into it. But the question remained that if her red door house was in Dorne, where in Dorne would this house have been located? During a recent reread of AFOC, I think I may have found the location.

During Arianne's flight to the Greenblood river where the houseboats of the Orphans of the Greenblood were located, we get this description:

Dany describes the house as a big house with a red door. She recalls running barefoot to the house. She also recalls a lemon tree outside the window. In the House of the Undying, she sees a vision inside of the house described thusly:

While Dany thought of it as a big house, childhood memories, especially half-remembered memories like she has, makes you recall things as being bigger then they actually were. Here we have the grass where a young girl could have run through barefoot, the lemon trees, carved wood, and beams. Pretty much everything that jives with her memories of the red door house.

But Viserys? At least in this thread, I've not seen it accounted for how an older child would be fooled into thinking Dorne was Bravos.

While GRRM does have many subtle things you can figure out in his books I think it is likely the lemongate is just mistake from him. He could have forgotten that he had Dany remembering lemon trees before he focused on the climate on Braavos when people started showing up there. Like the Jayne narrow hip thing.

I just do not see what the point of Dany growing up in Dorne would be, what effect it would have in the story. Twist should have meaning and unless this is a part of some very large plot I do not see the payoff at all.

And the marriage agreement was made in Sealord's palace and Viserys should know were he grew up.

The fact that Prince Oberyn travelled to Braavos to sign the marriage pact, which was witnessed by the Head of State of Braavos, shows that Dany and Viserys were living in Braavos. At that point, Braavosi foreign policy must have been staunchly pro-Targaryen. A new Sealord presumably reversed the policy, and expelled the pair of them.

Daenerys's Own WHEN receive the letter Quentyn given: THIS was signed in bravíos at home Door matter roja.Este matter f f is the mystery of the UN is not turned themselves continue to create jobs because of this.

Don't do drugs, kids.

While GRRM does have many subtle things you can figure out in his books I think it is likely the lemongate is just mistake from him. He could have forgotten that he had Dany remembering lemon trees before he focused on the climate on Braavos when people started showing up there. Like the Jayne narrow hip thing.

*facepalm*

If it was a mistake on his part he would just make braavos a sunny place. He made it shitty because he wanted to show she wasn't raised there. You really underestimate GRRM if you think he would make that big of a mistake when writing. You do know he's had everything planned for the main characters since AGoT, right? He knows exactly what he's writing and what's to come.

I'm still going with Sealord's Palace, considering the marriage deal between Arianne and Visery was witnessed by a Sealord of Braavos.

Because Viserys was in braavos. Have you ever noticed Viserys is never been brought up in daenerys memories of the house except when she said they kicked us out, or something. The pact wasn't involving her it was about viserys, hence she didn't need to be there.

And also daenerys associates fields with the house. There isn't fields in braavos.

The door loomed before her, the red door, so close, so close, the hall was a blur around her, the cold receding behind. And now the stone was gone and she flew across the Dothraki sea, high and higher, the green rippling beneath, and all that lived and breathed fled in terror from the shadow of her wings. She could smell home, she could see it, there, just beyond that door, green fields and great stone houses and arms to keep her warm, there. She threw open the door.

Do you seriously think GRRM left clues that she wasn't born in braavos just so a small majority of his book readers could fight over where she was born? No he left the clues in there because it leads to the conclusion that she wasn't raised in braavos.

There's actually more evidence pointing to this than there is for the sealord of braavos.

The fact that Prince Oberyn travelled to Braavos to sign the marriage pact, which was witnessed by the Head of State of Braavos, shows that Dany and Viserys were living in Braavos. At that point, Braavosi foreign policy must have been staunchly pro-Targaryen. A new Sealord presumably reversed the policy, and expelled the pair of them.

:agree: The main reason I want tWoW published is so that lemongate can finally die. Most ridiculous theory out there and that says a lot, seeing that this board has also given us pearls like Daario = Euron.

You still up for that $100 bet?

I'm staunchly against gambling, but I'll make an exception just for you. Although, instead of a measly hundred bucks I'd like to have the satisfaction of a public mea culpa from you as the stake for this bet.

I'm still going with Sealord's Palace, considering the marriage deal between Arianne and Visery was witnessed by a Sealord of Braavos.

Those two.

Archived