This week's Sand Snake scene was brought to you by the most beautiful woman in the world (or else) [book spoilers]

Good Guy Garlan

That's one of the funniest things I've read in years. Was it the way the camera lingered for uncomfortably long periods over her pert nipples that gave you the sense she was empowered?

Dunno, maybe it was because she held his life in her hand, not the other way around, and she, not him, was the one in control, even if her nipples were visible?

The entire scene, as previously pointed out, was just an excuse for the lovely Taena to show off her boobies. Not that I'm complaining; it was lovely to watch, and they are exquisitely pert, but even so I realise that the dialogue was beyond corniness, and the way that Bronn keeled over (before we find out he's been poisoned) as if he'd been overwhelmed by the sight of Taena's tits was just ridiculous. A very silly scene all round, but I can at least give it some leeway because it was enjoyable nonsense as opposed to just being flat out bad.

We knew he'd been poisoned when they showed the close up of her blade cutting into him in the previous episode. The scene is a power play on Tyene's part. She shows Bronn who's boss and let's him live so that he can pay her back later.

Dunno, maybe it was because she held his life in her hand, not the other way around, and she, not him, was the one in control, even if her nipples were visible?

No, it isn't empowering and here's why: if the scene had played out the other way around, with Tyene getting poisoned and Bronn dangling the antidote in front of her, you can bet your ass D&D wouldn't have Jerome Flynn whip out his dick. Tyene is certainly not in power from a meta perspective because the character is forced into a sexualized depiction that doesn't apply to male characters in the show.

That's like saying throwing two naked chicks to fight to the death in the mud would be empowering because one of them holds the other's life in her hands.

Why people believe that any time a woman is portrayed sexually or simply naked that's empowering? If it's done for the sake of being a bait for audience then it's not. It's exploitative. It's like the difference between advertising that plays subtly with sexual undertones and plain sexist advertising. It's not the same thing.

I like a bit of nudity. I think for the sake of female viewers it could be more even-handed, though. If this were UK funded, and for a predominantly UK audience, there would be equal amounts of naked women and men in it, which is only fair because it would be equally appealing to both sets of viewers: but American TV and Hollywood still has a baffling amount of prudery when it comes to the naked male form.

I'm going to protest.

MORE MALE NUDITY!! FULL FRONTAL!

In GRRM's world the men are naked too.

No, it isn't empowering and here's why: if the scene had played out the other way around, with Tyene getting poisoned and Bronn dangling the antidote in front of her, you can bet your ass D&D wouldn't have Jerome Flynn whip out his dick. Tyene is certainly not in power from a meta perspective because the character is forced into a sexualized depiction that doesn't apply to male characters in the show.

That's like saying throwing two naked chicks to fight to the death in the mud would be empowering because one of them holds the other's life in her hands.

So, Tyene made a different decision than Bronn would.

Of course, from your meta perspective, they all, man, woman and child, are but followers of the director's will. Even Lord Tywin Lannister, at his most commanding, was just doing what the script had told him to do. From a meta perspective, nobody's "empowered".

Your mud wrestling analogy looks like begging the question. "I assume it's sleazy and exploitative, and as proof I present my assumption that it's sleazy and exploitative".

Archived