And Now His Watch Is Ended - Farefell To Maester Aemon/Peter Vaughan

Modesty Lannister

Maester Aemon is my favourite character is ASOAIF. I could write a lot about him, but I will not this time. I want to devote this thread to the unique character who refused to play The Game of Thrones. And the actor who portrayed him so masterfully.

They both deserve no less.

Share your thoughts.

One of the best casting choices, IMO. The character himself was amazing. There aren't many who would turn down the chance to sit on the IT in order to avoid issues later. Aemon never complained and ALWAYS gave sound council. I cried like a baby during that scene.

Peter Vaughan's first listed role was in 1954. He is 92 years old. And he is half blind in real life. So, I salute the heroism of his dedication to his work. I loved him in "Remains of the Day" as butler Stephens senior. He was perfect for Aemon and he did the character justice. Thank you, Mr Vaughan.

A class act in the middle of this hot mess.

And now his watch is ended.

(while his speech about Love and Duty was amazing, I can't help but love when he told Sam pretty much "I'm a freaking Targaryen, I've had more sex than you all will ever have in their sorry lives". that and "I grew in KL")

Maester Aemon is my favourite character is ASOAIF. I could write a lot about him, but I will not this time. I want to devote this thread to the unique character who refused to play The Game of Thrones. And the actor who portrayed him so masterfully.

They both deserve no less.

Share your thoughts.

I would like to read about him. I think others would too. Would you please go ahead and do that? Different thread though understandably.

A class act in the middle of this hot mess.

(while his speech about Love and Duty was amazing, I can't help but love when he told Sam pretty much "I'm a freaking Targaryen, I've had more sex than you all will ever have in their sorry lives". that and "I grew in KL")

llolol when did he say that

Peter Vaughan was one of my favourite casting choices. He was amazing, he made me cry with his speech about love and duty and when he mentioned Egg it was the same. I will miss him (in books and GoT).

I cried like a baby :( The actor played the part perfectly, and I love that they kept my favorite line "Egg, I dreamed I was old" and Sam's speech.

But I hate how his death was so rushed. Seriously he was fine throughout the whole season, and then suddenly they give us two brief scenes of him on his deathbed in one episode and then kill him. They could have had more scenes in previous episodes of him getting sicker and weaker before killing him in an instant. And I wish Jon was there as well.

I was very sad to see him go, but also somewhate happy that D&D didn't manage to totally botch the scene. For once they actually kept an iconic line from the books, and actually had the person who said the line in the books to say it in the show.

I'm somewhat surprised they didn't figure out some way to give that line to Littlefinger.

In my dream I like to think Dany sat beside him while he died. It was sad that he died all alone deep down wanting to see his last remaining family member to impart some wisdom say his goodbyes, but it was also fitting that he didn't die in a boat because better or for worst he volunteered to join the watch a few great men have joined the nights watch so it was fitting he died at the wall where he dedicated his life to it was his home. it was very sad dany knew nothing about him. tyrion was able to tell jorah about to jeor mormont, jorah had to come to terms with his death, i hope he tells dany about aemon ofcourse they wouldn't know he would have died so for a moment atleast dany would be happy she might see him. i think aemon was a great character he gave up the iron throne willingly, i mean in GOT universe that should get you the fucking noble peace prize for honour. aemon is one of the purest characters in the show maybe even the best targ that ever lived he would have been a great king.

Archived