And Now His Watch Is Ended - Farefell To Maester Aemon/Peter Vaughan

Modesty Lannister

A character I never particularly cared for in the books (sorry guys) and "Egg, I dreamed I was old" in the books barely scratched the surface. In the show though, awesome, and that scene bought a tear to my manly eyes. I didn't expect it too, but it did.

I cried like a baby :( The actor played the part perfectly, and I love that they kept my favorite line "Egg, I dreamed I was old" and Sam's speech.

But I hate how his death was so rushed. Seriously he was fine throughout the whole season, and then suddenly they give us two brief scenes of him on his deathbed in one episode and then kill him. They could have had more scenes in previous episodes of him getting sicker and weaker before killing him in an instant. And I wish Jon was there as well.

It actually wasn't so rushed. In episode 3, a council was held and Aemon wasn't there. When Jon asked about him, Sam responded "he is not feeling well". In episode 5, Aemon stated "I'm an old man and I'm dying". Yes, he said that in a very cheerful tone but he was actually telling the truth - he was aware of his state.

Personally, I think Aemon's sickness/death took too long in the book (4 chapters) and even then, he died "off-page". I also like that AAR speech was removed - because of that, his final words were far more touching.

Why was Measter Aemon burned?

Have the Watch resorted to cremation, mass grave digging, burning all buried corpses?

We have seen the Riverlords do a Viking send off, because they are historically ironborn. Although curiously we have seen the seven religion bury their dead differently and the Starks of Winterfell?

Is it because of the Wight menace, that they brought into their own keep, that they are now burning some of their dead?

Don't Maester's renowned Maester's get immortalised at the Citadel? Where would he get buried otherwise? Just burn them instead?

Hail R'hllor

Why Was Measter Aemon burned?

Have the Watch resorted to cremation, mass grave digging, burning all buried corpses?

When have seen the Riverlords do a Viking send off, because they are historically ironborn. Although curiously we have seen the seven religion bury their dead differently and the Starks of Winterfell?

Is it because of the Wight menace, that they brought into their own keep, that they are now burning some of their dead?

Don't Maester's renowned Maester's get immortalised at the Citadel? Where would he get buried otherwise? Just burn them instead?

Targaryens are cremated. That's their custom. GRRM explained this himself in a chat with asshai.com forum. It is not explicit in the books. And in the books, Aemon is not cremated, but put in a casket made out of a rum barrel. His body is on the ship docked in Oldtown at the end of AFFC. Whether is has been unloaded before Marwyn sailed away, we have no idea.

Targaryens are cremated. That's their custom. GRRM explained this himself in a chat with asshai.com forum. It is not explicit in the books. And in the books, Aemon is not cremated, but put in a casket made out of a rum barrel. His body is on the ship docked in Oldtown at the end of AFFC. Whether is has been unloaded before Marwyn sailed away, we have no idea.

Baelor the septon king and chapters of Dany burying her dead.

If GRRM says they are cremated Hail R'hllor that is the Asshai religion

Maester Aemon would be immortalised at the citadel as suggested?

The only cremation I can remember was Drogo to birth the dragons, and the Riverlords? Outside of those on the other side of the wall.

I am rereading currently, a few details have escaped over the years outside the major plot and characters.

Thank you for clarity, was a minor nitpick..

Maester Aemon would be immortalised at the citadel?

The only cremation I can remember was Drogo to birth the dragons, and the Riverlords?

Did he ask to be cremated by the Watch where do they normally bury their dead?

I am rereading currently, a few details have escaped over the years outside the major plot and characters.

It was a minor point nitpick here.

I'm having trouble understanding this post. I told you what GRRM said and where he said it.

I'm having trouble understanding this post. I told you what GRRM said and where he said it.

Thank you for the previous clarity from GRRM. Although many questions are still frought

The R'Hllor religion came from Asshai. However some of their preists can resurrect Thoros

Not all Targaryens are cremated as suggested Maester Aemon was being shipped to the Citadel in the books. We had Baelor the Septon King. Dany has been burying her dead throughout apart from the birthing ritual and Drogo was a husk undead..

Did Ella Martell get burnt alongside Rhaegar if we are burning Targaryens here?

I am confused as well my apology

Thank you for the previous clarity from GRRM. Although many questions are still frought

The R'Hllor religion came from Asshai. However some of their preists can resurrect Thoros

Not all Targaryens are cremated as suggested Maester Aemon was being shipped to the Citadel in the books. We had Baelor the Septon King. Dany has been burying her dead throughout apart from the birthing ritual and Drogo was a husk undead..

Did Ella Martell get burnt alongside Rhaegar if we are burning Targaryens here?

I am confused as well my apology

Still not quite clear about your question. We know only what's in the books and what GRRM said. In that Asshai.com chat GRRM was actually answering two questions - who retrieved Rhaegar's body from the Trident and where was he buried? He didn't answer the first question at all. His answer was - Rhaegar was cremated as per Targaryen custom. That's all. We still have no idea where or by whom. As for Baelor the Blessed, what makes you think he wasn't cremated? From what I got from the books and from what GRRM said, I'd say ashes of Targaryens are placed in the sept of Baleor. But, I might be wrong.

R'hllor has nothing to do with it. The chat was conducted on the website asshai.com. Valyrians did not believe in one god, but in many. We know that because three dragons, ridden by Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters/wives were named after Valyrians Gods.

Finally, i would not agree that Thoros resurrected anyone, but that is a question for a different thread.

Also, I am not clear what "immortalised by the Citadel" means. The Citadel is very anti-Targaryen. Aemon was extremely wise and knowledgeable, but never got to the rank of grandmaester like Pycelle did. You have the whole explanation as to why in the chapter in which Sam meets Marwyn in Oldtown.

ETA: We have no idea what happened to Elia's body. But, we also have no idea what happened with bodies of her children, Rhaegar's body, Ashara Dayne's body and even the bodies of men who allegedly died at the ToJ. I am not clear what you mean by Daenerys and burying her dead. We also do not know how Viserys ended up (did I forget it?). As for Drogo and Rhego, they were cremated. She has no other dead.

Still not quite clear about your question. We know only what's in the books and what GRRM said. In that Asshai.com chat GRRM was actually answering two questions - who retrieved Rhaegar's body from the Trident and where was he buried? He didn't answer the first question at all. His answer was - Rhaegar was cremated as per Targaryen custom. That's all. We still have no idea where or by whom. As for Baelor the Blessed, what makes you think he wasn't cremated? From what I got from the books and from what GRRM said, I'd say ashes of Targaryens are placed in the sept of Baleor. But, I might be wrong.

R'hllor has nothing to do with it. The chat was conducted on the website asshai.com. Valyrians did not believe in one god, but in many. We know that because three dragons, ridden by Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters/wives were named after Valyrians Gods.

Finally, i would not agree that Thoros resurrected anyone, but that is a question for a different thread.

Also, I am not clear what "immortalised by the Citadel" means. The Citadel is very anti-Targaryen. Aemon was extremely wise and knowledgeable, but never got to the rank of grandmaester like Pycelle did. You have the whole explanation as to why in the chapter in which Sam meets Marwyn in Oldtown.

ETA: We have no idea what happened to Elia's body. But, we also have no idea what happened with bodies of her children, Rhaegar's body, Ashara Dayne's body and even the bodies of men who allegedly died at the ToJ. I am not clear what you mean by Daenerys and burying her dead. We also do not know how Viserys ended up (did I forget it?). As for Drogo and Rhego, they were cremated. She has no other dead.

Upon tradition of buying the dead how they remembered immortalised. I personally prefer the druid way, sprout a yew out my bones grown from my ashes any day give something back.

In the case of one of the most famous, Maesters, he is sent to the citadel, buried or carved into stone his chain hung in a museum. Perhaps a crypt like Winterfell

Rhaegar was burnt but that leaves a hole, because unless Ella was also, than it is disrespectful to their pasting to not be placed with their kin. Now we have also pissed of the Martell's who honour their own kin how?

We have Baelor the Speton King upholding the Seven religion, who bury the dead when they can, he would likely be buried or there wouldn't be any distinction been Hail R'hllor, and the Stranger has his own mausoleum in Braavos

Dany has buried many Dothraki the Dothraki way with a horse to travel into the night lands, her handmaiden Doreah she buried herself

Upon tradition of buying the dead how they remembered immortalised. I personally prefer the druid way, sprout a yew out my bones grown from my ashes any day give something back.

In the case of one of the most famous, Maesters, he is sent to the citadel, buried or carved into stone his chain hung in a museum. Perhaps a crypt like Winterfell

Rhaegar was burnt but that leaves a hole, because unless Ella was also, than it is disrespectful to their pasting to not be placed with their kin. Now we have also pissed of the Martell's who honour their own kin how?

We have Baelor the Speton King upholding the Seven religion, who bury the dead when they can, he would likely be buried or there wouldn't be any distinction been Hail R'hllor, and the Stranger has his own mausoleum in Braavos

Dany has buried many Dothraki the Dothraki way with a horse to travel into the night lands, her handmaiden Doreah she buried herself

Your sentences are extremely difficult to follow. If English is not your first language, it's understandable.

Do you have any proof for any of your claims? Tullies, for example, follow the faith of the Seven, but they are burning their dead and letting the ashes drown. And Tullies are not the Ironborn. They were just conquered by the Ironborn at some point.

I did not understand a word you wrote about Braavos, sorry.

Dany was not burying the Dothraki. They were burying their own dead according to their own customs. Leaders do not take care of burials of all their subjects. Also, since this is not about Aemon anymore, if you need these things discussed, do open a separate thread in the book section.

Maester Aemon is my favourite character is ASOAIF. I could write a lot about him, but I will not this time. I want to devote this thread to the unique character who refused to play The Game of Thrones. And the actor who portrayed him so masterfully.

They both deserve no less.

Share your thoughts.

First natural death we have seen, and maybe the last. Right and proper he got this distinction.

Maester Aemon would be immortalised at the citadel as suggested?

The only cremation I can remember was Drogo to birth the dragons, and the Riverlords? Outside of those on the other side of the wall.

Thank you for clarity, was a minor nitpick..

The watch is burning all of their dead (see the children last season) to keep them from turning into wights. They even burned the Wildling dead.

It may be an Targ custom, but that's not why he was burned.

So sad to see Maester Aemon go, his calm, wise and loveable persona will be missed! The scenes with Aemon and the baby, and also of course the last scene with the Egg-line, were incredibly beautiful, I'm so happy that D&D pulled that off with grace!

It also made me even more excited for the short story-collection about Dunk and Egg which is due sometimes this year, I want to know more about that family and time and have not read any of the Dunk and Egg-stories yet, so it will hopefully be a blast! :)

The watch is burning all of their dead (see the children last season) to keep them from turning into wights. They even burned the Wildling dead.

It may be an Targ custom, but that's not why he was burned.

Thank you. I was going to post this if no one else did.

On the topic of the scene:

Oh my god, I fucking WEPT!! When he delivered THAT line...my husband was like "what did he say?" And I was too busy sobbing to repeat it...when I was finally able to say it...I started sobbing again!! I was not expecting to react like that lol!

Great character...and he could deliver some good one liners too. His lines about knowing liars from growing up in King's Landing and the Wall being manned by headless corpses for breaking their vows were my favorites.

And now his watch has ended. :frown5:

Archived