‘League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen’ To Be Rebooted By Fox

AncalagonTheBlack

20th Century Fox is taking another stab at turning Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen into a film franchise, it was reported today. The studio is producing a new film based on the influential graphic novel series, to be overseen by Ira Napoliello and Matt Reilly, and produced by John Davis of Davis Entertainment.

The new adaptation will have no connection to the 2003 film.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/league-of-extraordinary-gentlemen-reboot-1201433195/

I really liked the Connery one, can't believe it's been a over a decade.

It had some issues but I never thought it should have been to the dustbin like it was. I enjoyed it for the most part.

The Connery one wasn't as entirely a terrible film as its reputation makes out, but it's a fucking sorry travesty of an adaptation. Hope this one at least gets the tone closer to right.

Yes, like Constantine, LOEG was itself a decent film, but an utter embarrassment as an adaptation.

I think the concept of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has a lot of legs and is suitable to a loose adaptation, probably as a series. An adaptation of the actual story as a movie... eh. LoEG is definitely, to my mind, one of Moore's lesser works. It's a piece of pulp fun, but that's it. I'm not dying to see a faithful adaptation of it.

Although as a series, come to think of it, doesn't Penny Dreadful cover some of the same basic territory (which I haven't seen)?

I agree with those mentioning Penny Dreadful. It's not based on Moore's work but is closer in tone than the film was.

I'm cool with them trying to do an action packed "literary Avengers" though. God, that's probably what fox is thinking - do the ensemble film and then spin off into solo adventures. Not a bad one if they can make a success out of it.

Guess we'll get Alan Moore complaining again. I can understand his upset but by this point he should be used to it. At least the artist can accept the money on his behalf.

Ugh, the film was utter dreck. The only good thing happened in the opening scene in that African lodge:

Allan Quatermain: Automatic rifles. Who in God's name has automatic rifles?

Elderly Hunter: Dashed unsporting. Probably Belgian.

^the Elderly Hunter was right, we Belgians are dashingly unsportive. Although, if I didn't like people trashing my country in movies I wouldn't have enjoyed this scene.

I think the concept of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has a lot of legs and is suitable to a loose adaptation, probably as a series. An adaptation of the actual story as a movie... eh. LoEG is definitely, to my mind, one of Moore's lesser works. It's a piece of pulp fun, but that's it. I'm not dying to see a faithful adaptation of it.

Although as a series, come to think of it, doesn't Penny Dreadful cover some of the same basic territory (which I haven't seen)?

Really? I think LoEG is one of his richest works.

The movie was such a horrible adaptation that it took away any redeeming qualities the story might have had. I look forward to more info on this before deciding if it was a good idea or not.

I liked the original, but I think it over-promised and under-delivered. So I think it deserves a fresh start and hopefully an improved product.

I love the Penny Dreadful mashup and I hope League pulls back on the action a bit and brings in some of that Penny Dreadful atmosphere and tension. I have no clue about the graphic novels so I have no preconceptions or expectations about what the movie should be.

The Connery one wasn't as entirely a terrible film as its reputation makes out, but it's a fucking sorry travesty of an adaptation. Hope this one at least gets the tone closer to right.

Pretty much this.

I wonder how Alan Moore feels about this? :lol:

Really? I think LoEG is one of his richest works.

The movie was such a horrible adaptation that it took away any redeeming qualities the story might have had. I look forward to more info on this before deciding if it was a good idea or not.

It's certainly one of his richest works in terms of Victorian cultural references, details and allusions. The annotations for the series are insane. Heck, the mere fact that it justifies having an annotations is pretty remarkable. That being said, I find it to be a fairly simple story without much to say. Which doesn't make it bad. It just makes it, to my mind, pretty light.

I much prefer Moore's more thematically rich work - V for Vendetta (probably my favorite) and From Hell (a close second). In terms of his more 'traditional' superheroics, I prefer Watchmen and Promethea.

Archived