It hurt my soul to see Sam getting beaten up

H.P.

He took a real pasting. D & D have really nailed this character. John Bradley is perfect casting.

He really is. I really like him in the books but he's absolutely perfect on the show.

And his scene with Stannis was actually one of my favourite scenes so far this season. I loved that he starts out shittin' bricks because Stannis reminds him so much of his father (and Stannis is waxing lyrical about him to boot) but ends up the scene with some validation for the skills that HE has. Randyll threw him aside for being soft and weak and having his head stuck in books and Stannis is encouraging him because what he is doing is so damn important in the war to come.

Stannis: Keep reading Samwell Tarly

Sam: [proud smile]

Me: [gets emotional]

I honestly didn't meant to make this about Stannis but I really like that scene ok? ;)

I honestly didn't meant to make this about Stannis but I really like that scene ok? ;)

If I as OP has anything to say about it, I'll say: Bring in as much Stannis as you can. I'm one of those people who went from "so apparantly a lot of people seem to love this Stannis dude, that's really weird, the man's as boring as a pile of twigs" to "I would drag my scrotum through a mile of broken glass to hear Stannis fart through a walkie-talkie".

Whatever else you want to say about the show, I think they've captured Sam's character growth nicely. Hearkening back to the prior episode title, the boy became a man today in more ways than one.

Agreed, he took that beating like a man. it's no wonder he got what he got from Gilly afterward.

Archived