Finale Title, Details Released

Westeros

HBO has been sitting tight on releasing information on the finale of season 5, but it has now sent out a press release. See the details below, including the brief logline regarding the events of the episode:

Episode #50: âMotherâs Mercyâ (season finale)

Debut: SUNDAY, JUNE 14 (9:00-10:00 p.m.)

Other HBO playdates: June 14 (11:30 p.m., 2:00 a.m.), 15 (10:30 p.m.), 16 (9:00 p.m., 1:50 a.m.), 17 (2:25 a.m.), 18 (10:00 p.m.), 19 (9:00 p.m.), 20 (10:30 p.m.) and 26 (8:00 p.m.)

HBO2 playdates: June 15 (9:00 p.m.), 19 (2:30 a.m.), 20 (2:45 p.m.) and 21 (8:00 p.m.)

Stannis marches. Dany is surrounded by strangers. Cersei (Lena Headey) seeks forgiveness. Jon is challenged.

Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by David Nutter.

Visit the Site!

Very interesting.

From the plot summary, it seems that Episode 10 will end very much in line with Book 5: Dany meeting the Dothrakis, Cersei's walk of shame, and the Ides of Marsh Olly.

The only thing that may be spoiled would be result of the Battle of Ice, and from Iwan Rheon's comments in an interview saying that Ramsay's fate is "unclear" by the end of the season, it seems that not even that. It makes me very happy that at least we will have no significant spoilers this year.

Oh sweet jesus - Mother's mercy!!!

Nah....I won't get myself hyped up. Dany, Selyse and Cersei are enough mothers to worry about without thinking that SHE might actually appear....

It means the trial,I think.

If the theme last finale was children, this time it's motherhood.

I'm betting we'll get the Walk of Shame.

Dany flees in Ep. 9, regains her dragons in Ep. 10.

Battle of Winterfell, something again Selyse and burning Shireen.

Lady Stoneheart anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

good title, it seems like motherhood will once again be a theme for this finale like it was for the season 3 finale. i hope they put up a lot of parallels between dany and cersei in this episodes as their last ADWD POV chapters certainly were.

Immediately though LSH. Then realized it could just be in reference to Cersei and her confessing to the Sparrows to seek mercy. Which is more likely. Also Selyse and Shireen. Also Dany and her dragon.

Though this would be the ideal time to bring up LSH. You only really need one scene to cover her and what she's been doing thus far. And it's the most economical way to make it a surprise. Sneak Michelle Fairley on set for one scene, keep her hooded and with the makeup on. Theoretically they only held it off one season.

Edit: also if they go that route they could have a pretty killer finale. Cersei revealing her new champion, Stannis and Roose just before they clash, Dany flying her dragon out of the pit and finding the Dothraki, Trystane possibly being revealed as Aegon and Doran finally setting his plot in motion, Jon reading the Pink Letter and getting stabbed, and Lady Stoneheart.

Actually all but Stoneheart and Trystane/Aegon are certain to happen imo. If we get those two it will just be icing.

Very interesting.

From the plot summary, it seems that Episode 10 will end very much in line with Book 5: Dany meeting the Dothrakis, Cersei's walk of shame, and the Ides of Marsh Olly.

The only thing that may be spoiled would be result of the Battle of Ice, and from Iwan Rheon's comments in an interview saying that Ramsay's fate is "unclear" by the end of the season, it seems that not even that. It makes me very happy that at least we will have no significant spoilers this year.

Sound as if Dany, Stannis, Jon, and Cersei wind up landing on the final pages of Dance!

Seems the battle at Winterfell goes to next year, however that battle has not occurred in the books, should we expect it to play out that way, or something else?

We are left with the mystery of what happens to a bunch of people:

Figuring Arya stays in Braavos for the time being.

The crew left at Meereen, curious about were the story leaves the Tyrells.

Brienne and Pod? Sansa and Theon may be with them?

Maybe Yara is in Pyke?

Bran, Rickon come back next season?

What's Jamie's story going forward?

oh god not again

Without wanting to approach the same levels of hype we did last year, one has to at least wonder...

What if the lack of Stoneheart at the end of season 4 wasn't because they saw her as an unnecessary part of the story - as some people have argued - but because they knew they'd already be struggling for time in season five as it was. One only has to briefly consider the huge changes they've made to the story this season in order to understand how much of a struggle it must have been to adapt books 4/5. It might be that LSH is just like the recently-confirmed Euron Greyjoy; a character who many book readers are hoping to be a meaningful part of the story, but one who'd accomplished relatively little by the end of AFFC/ADWD - giving the show-runners an opportunity to delay his arrival until season six. That seems like a pretty smart move to me.

I'd also like to point out (or remind you since you probably already know) that the recent casting calls appear to be requesting a Septon Meribald. This could suggest that the Riverlands ARE going to be important again. Also, if Jaime isn't going to be killed off in Dorne this year - a theory many people subscribed to as the only possibility for Jaime once it became apparent LSH might not be in the story anymore - what will he be doing in season 6? Similarly, do people expect Brienne to die at the end of season 5 too? Seems unlikely; that would overload the episode and detract from "For The Watch". So, with Brienne, Jaime and Septon Meribald all available at the same time, and the duration of the Hound's absence now comfortably rounding out at one season, it's actually looking like a really logical time to head back to the Riverlands.

I always considered the decision to avoid LSH to be extremely un-D&D-like. Yes, there were those people who aren't D&D who argued that LSH shouldn't be in the story at all (books too); that her inclusion was more of a shock moment than a meaningful development of the plot. But, ignoring people who aren't D&D for a moment, this is D&D we're talking about. And LSH is one hell of a shock moment.

Or, you know, the people who do the episode titles are fucking with us. That's also possible.

It would make more sense to have LSH here. There wasn't much for her to do before now anyway. And I agree with Rat's Kook...Brienne and Pod are up North and there isn't any possible reason to keep Jaime in Dorne much longer. If the producers are going to kill anyone in Dorne, its more likely to be Bronn rather than Jaime.

My first thought was Stoneheart too, I shall never give up hope! (Well...not until after she doesn't appear in that episode and then I will). It does sound like it'll end almost exactly where the books will, except "Stannis marches" seems to push Stannis a little bit further. Will we see Theon and Sansa escape to his camp before Stannis marches?

Bringing in Stoneheart now is pointless. It's 15 or more episodes too late. The whole 'Avenge the Starks, Kill the Freys' storyline is too late in the game, unless it's a nod to bookreaders....an appeasement of sorts. The only Frey we've had in the story since the Red Wedding has been Walda, and no-one wants her dead except Ramsay. It would have been a nice twist in season 4, but the chess pieces have been placed. Winter is almost here, the Walkers are out and about, the dragons are getting big enough to carry riders. Meereen and Winterfell battles may be pushed back 'til next season, leaving little time to explore the Riverlands. People have been complaining about the lack of pace and entertaining storylines this season...how exciting will it be to follow Meribald and Dog around next season?

Archived