[MAJOR Book spoilers] Major plot point changed

Nymeria_Stark

Sadly, we lost the wonderful Maester Aemon in this episode. But as one who read and loved the books, i noticed they changed a potentially important plot point.

SPOILER AHEAD... FOR BOOK READERS ONLY

If y'all remember AFFC, Jon sent Samwelldown to Oldtown, to sail by ship with Aemon, Gilly and her baby,who turned out to be Dalla's baby. Samwell was heading for the Citadel to forge his own Maester's chain and hopefully do loads of North-of-the-wall research. And IIRC, Aemon died just as they were sailing part the southern coast of Dorne.

What I'm wondering is why they would change/eliminate that whole arc of the story? UNLESS they're gonna do it in a later episode!

Thoughts??

I don't remember, does one have to sail to Bravos first if heading to Oldtown from the Wall? Or did they have another reason for heading first to Bravos in the books? Just wondering if Sam does go to the Citadel, could he head straight there? If so that would eliminate his unknown meet up with Arya.

Honestly, if they end up having Sam & Gilly go to Oldtown (I think based on casting calls that they're headed to Horn Hill, at least first), that's not a significant change from the story. Although we miss out on some Stannis fake, Dany is real info, Aemon dying at the wall instead of on the ships isn't the type of "major" change that Sansa, Riverlands, Dorne, etc. have gone through.

they are having the oldtown plot

i think when it comes to Tv one must look into many factors ...by making Aemon die at the wall they made sure he dont need to appear in the show next seaosn and a reason to send sam to the oldtown

peter vaughn who plays Aemon is 92 years old you cant have him travel like other cast ...and as much i would have liked to hear Aemon speaking about Dany ...the showrunners decided not to include it ...so better make him die this season at the wall

My biggest fear is that they're going to change Sam's motivation for leaving the wall. Instead of departing under the LCs orders to forge his chain, I expect they'll have Sam and GIlly run away and Sam will be seen as abandoning the Watch. They already stripped him of the guilt he felt for violating his vows by sleeping with Gilly. It wouldn't shock me if they took it further.

Creatively it made sense to them because they wanted it to happen.

This quote is never going to get old.

I don't remember, does one have to sail to Bravos first if heading to Oldtown from the Wall? Or did they have another reason for heading first to Bravos in the books? Just wondering if Sam does go to the Citadel, could he head straight there? If so that would eliminate his unknown meet up with Arya.

Yes it could eliminate Braavos, considering how fast people travel in show Westeros.

The only reason why they had to stop in Braavos was that they left Eastwatch on one the Watch ships. But it's a long trip to Oldtown, so that ship could not be spared to take them all the way, hence the pit stop in Braavos to find another ship.

In the books and since they made a point of it on the show and Maester Aemon, knowing that baby is one of Craster's sons, said get that baby is far south as you can before it is too late.

I wonder if that baby, in books and show, is bound/ "promissed" to the Others and by bringing the baby through the wall, enables the Others to breach it, go around, over etc.

Just a thought? - also, it does not grow on the show and maybe that is part of it or just another plot hole regarding D&D.

Braavos was important in the books for the end of Aemon's story (the yearning to go to Dany) so it would be sensible for them to miss out Braavos.

However, it seems they are headed for (One) Horn Hill first.

Creatively it made sense to them because they wanted it to happen.

Bhahahahaha.

Honestly, I'm thinking they MAY skip the whole Sam and Gilly do Braavos, but it seems from casting news for next season....perhaps the lovely couple will make it to either The Citadel or at least The Reach?

No it's not, but the other route was more dangerous due to the Ironborn rebellion.

I know there's probably more casting calls coming in the next months, but the fact that they seem to be including the Tarlys and there's no mention of a Sphinx, Lazy Leo or Marwyn makes me wonder if instead of Oldtown we'll just get Horn Hill

And that would suck balls

I know there's probably more casting calls coming in the next months, but the fact that they seem to be including the Tarlys and there's no mention of a Sphinx, Lazy Leo or Marwyn makes me wonder if instead of Oldtown we'll just get Horn Hill

And that would suck balls

It would suck big dirty sweaty balls.

Surely there's a difference between changing a plot point and removing it completely? As I understand it, Sam's trip to Oldtown is setting up the "maesters want to destroy magic" plot which may or may not have huge ramifications for the endgame. It might simply be a case of one story too many for the show to tell.

I could see Oldtown happen, but I don't think Sam & Gilly will be making a stop in Braavos along the way. What would be interesting is if we got the whole Faceless Man in Oldtown plot, and through that, Jaqen/Arya team ends up in the same place.

I'm betting the Oldtown/Sam's journey stuff is going to be very radically cut down to plot-required essentials. I expect it to be along the lines of Tyrion's trip to Essos, where the show cut hundreds of pages down to three short scenes, and cut a lot of characters.

In the books and since they made a point of it on the show and Maester Aemon, knowing that baby is one of Craster's sons, said get that baby is far south as you can before it is too late.

I wonder if that baby, in books and show, is bound/ "promissed" to the Others and by bringing the baby through the wall, enables the Others to breach it, go around, over etc.

Just a thought? - also, it does not grow on the show and maybe that is part of it or just another plot hole regarding D&D.

I think that baby is critical, but like you, still wondering exactly how.

Archived