[Book Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Repercussion III

Mindwalker

Funny. He straight up says that Batfinger is a completely different person than the Littlefinger from the books. I mean, we know that, but it's nice to hear the author say it so straightforwardly.

LOL and JINX!! He just needs to know his name, as Reek would say, HA!! :devil:

Very interesting. Thanks! A potential (maybe small) problem will be if they include the play and actually have Arya playing "Mercy", is that Mercy is supposed to be raped in the play. Some could see that as yet another inclusion of rape in the show (ironically, one that actually is in the books). Another thing is that, as you say, there's just not much time to have Arya performing multiple assassinations so I wonder just what they'll go with, etc.

Finally, in those casting descriptions I wonder why people think the battle-weary septon is automatically Meribald? I think that description could just as easily refer to Elder Brother :dunno:

I T A with you on the bolded, or should I say, I also think it's a possibility that it could be a compilation of both Elder Brother and Septon Meribald. Then again, it's liable to some bastardized mixture with a new name and could exist just to remind Brienne that sounding and acting and feeling like a woman IS stupid, and......he's really there to referee a new bout between her and The Hound, after he hits Sandor on top of the head with his gravedigging shovel. Not that Brienne the Brute should need to have him a bit handicapped, in the fighting ring, but it'd be nice for old time's sake. The best the show could do without a Biter, ya know? Hell, look at the best a show could do WITH a Biter. :thumbsup:

Very interesting. Thanks! A potential (maybe small) problem will be if they include the play and actually have Arya playing "Mercy", is that Mercy is supposed to be raped in the play. Some could see that as yet another inclusion of rape in the show (ironically, one that actually is in the books). Another thing is that, as you say, there's just not much time to have Arya performing multiple assassinations so I wonder just what they'll go with, etc.

Finally, in those casting descriptions I wonder why people think the battle-weary septon is automatically Meribald? I think that description could just as easily refer to Elder Brother :dunno:

I think D&D have absolutely no understand of how Martin uses sexual violence in his narrative, or what he was even attempting to do in the Mercy chapter. So however they adapt it, they'll choose poorly. I don't think a rape in the books is ever seen as a potential problem to them, so much as it plays into the theme of "lawl no one is safe."

Could be...I can't believe they'd cast any religious figure who isn't totes evil zealot. Why are they a season late? Doesn't Brienne having already met both Stark girls kind of fuck this up? Is this just because they know The Hound is popular? Honestly, they're choices about inclusion and exclusion are more and more mystifying.

When Arya was with the Hound right after she got needle back, IIRC, he told that Merwyn Trant killed Syrio because he had 'armour and a big fuckin' sword'. So, if the D$D remember that, how will they have get around armour and a big fuckin' sword? Poisoned coin? A little stab in just the right place? Or, horrors, some new thing that they want to happen cuz you know, it's so creative, and stuff.

It seems so bizarre to me that they disappeared the riverlands story entirely for basically 2 entire seasons and they're bringing it back next year.

Wouldn't the more logical thing to have done was to have at least a couple of segments going on in the riverlands to keep the thread going?

I understand the idea they have in terms of utility that you only bring in the person/story when it's needed, but given how much time they waste on pointless invented scenes for their own amusement....it seems that introducing some of this stuff earlier and giving it more grounding would work in the end a lot better than dropping it in 2 or 3 episodes before it's going to go BOOM.

Somebody somewhere suggested that maybe they should have brought a sand snake or a martell with them last year, which isn't a bad idea. they could have possibly just had one of them show up for the duel, it would have been something.

I T A with you on the bolded, or should I say, I also think it's a possibility that it could be a compilation of both Elder Brother and Septon Meribald. Then again, it's liable to some bastardized mixture with a new name and could exist just to remind Brienne that sounding and acting and feeling like a woman IS stupid, and......he's really there to referee a new bout between her and The Hound, after he hits Sandor on top of the head with his gravedigging shovel. Not that Brienne the Brute should need to have him a bit handicapped, in the fighting ring, but it'd be nice for old time's sake. The best the show could do without a Biter, ya know? Hell, look at the best a show could do WITH a Biter. :thumbsup:

LOL Biter and Rorge were so pathetic.

Rorge and Biter went down like flies. :lol:

And they never mention that the Hound was weakened anymore, either. Rory even said he had to take it easy on Gwendoline to not hurt her, and she kept saying how strong Rory is. But no... Brienne the Brute is invincible!

~~~~snip~~~

O-o, you're right of course. So, no QI, no Septon Meribald/Elder Brother. Just some random septon with a hulking, limping half face burned off patient waiting around for Cleganebowl. Of f'n course.

I think D&D have absolutely no understand of how Martin uses sexual violence in his narrative, or what he was even attempting to do in the Mercy chapter. So however they adapt it, they'll choose poorly. I don't think a rape in the books is ever seen as a potential problem to them, so much as it plays into the theme of "lawl no one is safe."

Agreed. I'm just steeling myself, I guess, for the obvious backlash against that if they include it because they've already used that particular thing far too much in the show. It'll be yet more disappointment and undermining of a situation where it actually is in the books.

Could be...I can't believe they'd cast any religious figure who isn't totes evil zealot. Why are they a season late? Doesn't Brienne having already met both Stark girls kind of fuck this up? Is this just because they know The Hound is popular? Honestly, they're choices about inclusion and exclusion are more and more mystifying.

Yep. That's another reason why I think it's EB. I think he'll be necessary for the whole gravedigger thing but I don't think Brienne will even be in the Riverlands or running into Meribald (or any other septon for that matter). And I think Brienne's search for the Stark girls has been akin to an Arthurian knight on the Grail Quest simply walking into some random inn, ordering a drink, and having it served up in the Holy Grail!

O-o, you're right of course. So, no QI, no Septon Meribald/Elder Brother. Just some random septon with a hulking, limping half face burned off patient waiting around for Cleganebowl. Of f'n course.

I was thinking it would be EB. But, you're right, why do that if you can simply have Sandor become a septon?!! Hey, it makes creative sense to me because I want it to happen!

Septon Melderbald?

It seems so bizarre to me that they disappeared the riverlands story entirely for basically 2 entire seasons and they're bringing it back next year.

Wouldn't the more logical thing to have done was to have at least a couple of segments going on in the riverlands to keep the thread going?

I understand the idea they have in terms of utility that you only bring in the person/story when it's needed, but given how much time they waste on pointless invented scenes for their own amusement....it seems that introducing some of this stuff earlier and giving it more grounding would work in the end a lot better than dropping it in 2 or 3 episodes before it's going to go BOOM.

They can rely on the 'Previously On GoT' department for that........so....done!

I was thinking it would be EB. But, you're right, why do that if you can simply have Sandor become a septon?!! Hey, it makes creative sense to me because I want it to happen!

Nooooooooooooo! If they make him anything but a gravedigger, I'll never forgive them. Oh, wait, I already never will forgive them for what they did to Sansa.

I hope poor old Sandor gets himself a really good great helm. I would hate to see his face get smashed in with a rock, aka "The Brienne Makeover".

No, Sandor's not the septon, but the septon not's SM or EB, just someone they made up. He has Sandor as a patient he cured, or something. That's what I meant. They're in the 'North' somewhere, probably just on the other side of that cart Bri as sitting at, watching for the Batsignal that never came.

LOL Biter and Rorge were so pathetic.

Rorge and Biter went down like flies. :lol:

And they never mention that the Hound was weakened anymore, either. Rory even said he had to take it easy on Gwendoline to not hurt her, and she kept saying how strong Rory is. But no... Brienne the Brute is invincible!

Yup, not only did both Rorge and Biter go down like flies, we're supposed to believe that there was something to that little wound left on Sandor's neck. Biter's bite seemed to equal that of a gnat (ha, The Tournament of Gnats!!) not even a mosquito, hadn't been mentioned it at least a week by Arya, but yeah.....he was raging with infection and weakened beyond belief, without showing even a stumble the day or week of the fight? It MUST be an awful, all consuming wound.....we were told so by D&D, right, and you know how that goes: We wanted it to happen so........

This popular siggie line IS the answer to everything when it comes to this show, isn't it? :devil:

ETA: Oh wait.........I DID learn, with the Rorge and Biter scene.....that Rorge was French, so I guess the scene wasn't totally meaningless. All these years, I thought Rorge rhymed with Borg, ya know? I guess I'm just a silly American.

Septon MURDERbald! Now you're thinking like Dave the Intern! I look forward to your episodes next season.

Septon Melderbald?

I like it. That means.......it won't be his name,LOL

Nooooooooooooo! If they make him anything but a gravedigger, I'll never forgive them. Oh, wait, I already never will forgive them for what they did to Sansa.

LOLOL Hey, don't forget, there was a Maester behind that rock, right? The love Sandor, and The Hound, I don't think they'd make him a Septon, not really, maybe disguise him as one, right before he says his code doesn't allow him to strike a man of the cloth...and then BOOM!! LIghts out on the real Septon? LOL at keeping track of forgiving them or not. Well, we wanted it that way, and it makes sense. :cool4:

No, Sandor's not the septon, but the septon not's SM or EB, just someone they made up. He has Sandor as a patient he cured, or something. That's what I meant. They're in the 'North' somewhere, probably just on the other side of that cart Bri as sitting at, watching for the Batsignal that never came.

The batsignal still could come......is Gary Oldman listed for GoT cast on IMDB?

Archived