Melisandre's real intentions

TeresaGray

Melisandre's personality is a mystery for me. Why does't she see in fire that dragons were born? why does she support Stannis instead of Daenerys which would have been more logical. I therefore came to conclusion that she has some hidden agenda- she supported Stannis so that they all fight between themselves and destroy each other which will make it easier for Daenerys to conquer Westeros. I just cannot understand the logic of how Melisandre doesn't see dragons and doesn't see anything about any of Targariens. Also I did not understand the logic of her behaviours in relation to king's blood search- turned out that she did not burn Mance, she kind of "forgot" of her intentions in relation to the child of Mance. Could it be because she met John Snow and changed her plans due to the reason that he is son of Lyanna and Targaryan (as per one of the versions here on forum?)

Crackpot: The entire new-founded popularity of the R'hllor religion is a huge conspiracy organized by Bloodraven, with the help of his sister-lover, Shiera Seastar. She taught sorcery to the fire-priests so that more people will believe in the "power of R'hllor", and he chooses what to show them, and he gets to see them as well, through the fires. This way he gets to see what happens across the the narrow sea, and even in places where trees don't grow. According to WOIAF book, the followers of R'hllor only became numerous over the last hundred years. Bloodraven is 125 years old. He sowed the seeds of his grand spy-network when he was active Targ loyalist in KL. The primary purpose of the network was to find what Bittersteel and Blackfyre supporters were doing via magical means, but Children of the Forest also helped him, for their own purposes.

Mel is not upto anything, she is simply a very talented fool who doesn't realize whose tune she is dancing for. She acts based on what she sees, and she twists her prophecies to get others impressed by her. She doesn't see dragons because BR doesn't want to show her.

Crackpot: The entire new-founded popularity of the R'hllor religion is a huge conspiracy organized by Bloodraven, with the help of his sister-lover, Shiera Seastar. She taught sorcery to the fire-priests so that more people will believe in the "power of R'hllor", and he chooses what to show them, and he gets to see them as well, through the fires. This way he gets to see what happens across the the narrow sea, and even in places where trees don't grow. According to WOIAF book, the followers of R'hllor only became numerous over the last hundred years. Bloodraven is 125 years old. He sowed the seeds of his grand spy-network when he was active Targ loyalist in KL. The primary purpose of the network was to find what Bittersteel and Blackfyre supporters were doing via magical means, but Children of the Forest also helped him, for their own purposes.

Mel is not upto anything, she is simply a very talented fool who doesn't realize whose tune she is dancing for. She acts based on what she sees, and she twists her prophecies to get others impressed by her. She doesn't see dragons because BR doesn't want to show her.

Oh yeah and Thoros of Myr is allowed to resurrect Beric by BR because why? Crackpot indeed.

I think she want to beat the Great Other with the help of Azor Ahai reborn, just as she says. She just isn't that good at interpreting the flames as she think she is.

Also, I wonder if she is considered a heretic among other Red Priests?

The senior clergy that follow the Red God are certainly pragmatic. Presumably high priest Benerro has sent priests to Robert Baratheon (Thoros). Stannis (Melisandre) and Dany (Moqorro). Each priest has displayed powers resurrection, shadow birthing assassins and uncanny mid reading and predictions.

This tells me that the religions are playing all sides and like the Iron Bank they want to ensure they are on the winning side to exact maximum gain.

Oh yeah and Thoros of Myr is allowed to resurrect Beric by BR because why? Crackpot indeed.

I didn't say BR control the magic done by fire-priests. He controls the visions, and taught them magic. If someone teaches other people to melt metals, the teacher doesn't get to decide exactly what things will those people and their disciples will make using that knowledge.

I've wondered what Mel is up to myself I just can't quite figure it out. But she definitely has ulterior motives. I don't think it's that she's just bad at reading the flames, even though no one has mastered it. I mean when she kept looking for AA in the flames and it kept showing her Jon I was hoping she'd realize that Stannis isn't the one. I've been meaning to look up more theories regarding this but I keep getting side tracked by all the great theories out there! She is an intriguing character and one I don't really trust.

We are given her POV. Her POV. Unless you're proposing that she's trying to fool herself inside her own head, we know her beliefs about Stannis being the chosen one to be sincere.

I agree with this but we have only had a small glimpse of her POV. There is probably more then meets the eye

Mel's visions seems to center around herself and what she is doing. So when she is on Dragonstone with Stannis, she sees things related to him and the Wot5K. When the message from the wall is brought by Davos, her visions turn northward. When she gets to the wall and is close to Jon, all requests to see AA result in Snow.

So the dragons won't show up in her visions until they start to impact what she is doing. But even then, as others have noted, she has a really bad track record when it comes to interpreting what she is seeing. Contrast that with the Ghost of High Heart, who simply says what she sees without trying to put a spin on it -- probably because she herself doesn't know what it really means.

I tend to think that mel's incompetence stems from not asking the right questions to the Red God. She probably began her quest with something vague like, "how do I find AA" instead of "show me AA." If that is how she began her quest, the Red God would then show her Stannis, because Stannis is the means to an end as to how to find AA, who I tend to think is John.

I tend to think that mel's incompetence stems from not asking the right questions to the Red God. She probably began her quest with something vague like, "how do I find AA" instead of "show me AA." If that is how she began her quest, the Red God would then show her Stannis, because Stannis is the means to an end as to how to find AA, who I tend to think is John.

I don't think it's Jon... Wouldn't it be Dany? I thought that Aemon said as such...

I don't think it's Jon... Wouldn't it be Dany? I thought that Aemon said as such...

I always thought it was Dany regardless of how much I dislike her. Drogo is the love she has to destroy, the dragons are lightbringer which she wields. I'd like to be wrong and have Jon be it honestly.

Does Melisandre know about Dany's dragons? King's Landing has been hearing rumors for years, confirmed at the end of ADWD.

Remember she spends all of ASOS trying to get Stannis to wake a dragon as part of the Azor Ahai prophecy.

I don't think this theory is all that crackpot, really. The only objection I have is the 'kiss of life', and how it seems like there is no way for Bloodraven to know/influence such an event.

Melisandre is a cougar witch who wants to show her boobs and seduce young men. That's all.

It is known.

Dido. I think she's not asking the right questions, and she's misinterpreting the answers.

In her DWD chapter she truly seems convinced that Stannis is Azor Ahai but putting another king in the Iron Throne does not seem to interest her.Maybe she has misinterpreted her visions but for now her intentions seem to be what she said.

She probably asked something stupid like take me to AA. And google maps routed her through Dragon Stone, to the Wall, then to Jon Snow. She assumed Dragon Stone was the final destination.

Melissandre is a rogue red priest, she is not working with Benerro or Moqorro, that is per GRRM not my opinion. She is also both a shadow binder and a red priest, people seem to get those 2 mixed up, red preists cannot do shadow babies, that's shadow binders.

We got a Mel POV in Dance, we know she really thinks Stannis is AA, we know she really is trying to fight the Others. In this case the simplest answer really is the best, she is simply an idiot.

Archived