Melisandre's real intentions

TeresaGray

The thing that has always bothered me is that it's clear that both Melisandre and other followers/priests/priestesses etc. have power (which one would infer would come from their homey R'hllor or whoever he wants to call himself) - she had shown Stannis visions and Thoros resurrects Berric .... (which is often written as accidentally, but then he does it a whole bunch of times so...)

IMHO she screwed up, she really believed Stannis was her champion and she was dead wrong... (just like IMHO she is dead wrong about thinking Bran and the 3 eyed raven is the bad guy champion).

I would imagine her returning to the wall in the show after she realized she was wrong (even before the battle, she realized, she messed up) is directly related to what she is going to do in the next book/next season. I am not saying I 101% believe she is gonna pull a Thoros on Jon Snow but I would not be surprised if that is it, or something else, because it was just too coinkydink-like she shows up and the show has Jon getting gutted.

It seems noteworthy to me that blood magic and shadow binding are things that are not specific to the R'hllor religion.

Mel seems to me to be a "the ends justify the means" kind of person. She also makes a lot of assumptions. What if her statement to the effect that "shadows are servants of the lord of light" is wrong. I've found it interesting that through the series we kind of get a glimpse that these "gods" do both positive and negative things. What sort of "lord of light" demands human sacrifices? We know that she is not beyond using simple trickery and "mummers farces" to convince people of works committed by her R'hllor. I think she is very misguided and that poorly planned magic is essentially going to be her undoing. Perhaps a failed attempt to resurrect Jon? Berric died resurrecting Cat. Perhaps R'hllor won't answer Mel when she says the words and preforms the kiss, or death takes them both?

We also know from the warlocks of Qaarth that somewhere in the future Dany will encounter a stone beast that breathes shadow fire. I've been waiting for another clue on this bit, but I'm of the opinion that Mel will be the one to raise this "stone beast" and that may very well be the end of her. It's been suggested that the wall may be made on top of an ice dragon. I'm of a mind that perhaps this "stone beast" is what might be under those magical bindings and wards.

I always thought what is so special about the visions of the Red Priests because greenseers have far more accurate visions and thus why are ppl believing them instead of the greenseers ? Or are greenseers for some reason incognito ?

I always thought what is so special about the visions of the Red Priests because greenseers have far more accurate visions and thus why are ppl believing them instead of the greenseers ? Or are greenseers for some reason incognito ?

Red priests are evangelists for their religion.

Greenseers aren't trying to convert anyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Mel's real intention is to follow her god. The fact that she gets false visions or misinterprets these visions is a clue that her god is misleading her. I think that she believes that her god will save the world and has the best of intentions toward mankind. This is naïve. We know that Mel is far from an intellectual giant and that puzzling out inconsistencies in the information given to her through her visions is not her strong suit. 

Because her god is untrustworthy we cannot trust Mel.

Archived