How did Jon know his sister's wolves were dead/missing?

Mike001

P.563

Jon's just found out that Eddard's being charged with treason. He's thinking about his sisters - "Their wolves might have kept them safe but Lady is dead and Nymeria's lost, they're all alone."

I can't say for certain but I thought it was through warging/dreaming with Ghost. I think the direwolf siblings can sort of sense each other?

Up until this point I don't think Jon's really got a sense of that yet, Bran's just starting to get a taste.

I know Lady's bones were brought back to Winterfell but Jon wouldn't have known anything because he's had no contact with anyone or even a letter as far as I can tell.

Up until this point I don't think Jon's really got a sense of that yet, Bran's just starting to get a taste.

I know Lady's bones were brought back to Winterfell but Jon wouldn't have known anything because he's had no contact with anyone or even a letter as far as I can tell.

He knew Bran woke up, so he had communications.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wondered this all at the time I read it. I just told myself that he received a raven.

I dont think they would bother with sending raven with what happened at House Darry castle, (I mean all the story with Joffrey, girls and direwolfes), not very important even for Winterfell squad not even talking about Jon.

• 5 months later...

I don't believe he was sent a Raven. The only mention of a raven was to Commander Mormont. And to write a raven to inform him of Lady's death is pretty irrelevent with everything thats going on. He must sense it precognitatively with his connection to Ghost.

• 1 month later...
On 9-7-2016 at 1:57 AM, DireWolf90 said:

It's quite possible that he was informed about multiple things through letters. We just don't see him ever receive the letters because it's not really that important to the story.

This. He was close to Robb. So, he gets sent a letter informing him about Bran waking up for example. Winterfell did not only receive Lady's bones. Ned would have sent news upon his arrival at KL to WF too, to warn of Lady's death and her bones coming as well as the reason. A conversation with Jeor also makes clear that Jon knows about Cat's Tyrion-napping. As a Stark Robb would keep the Wall updated on happenings of the realms and would include a line here or there for Jon about family stuff. Meanwhile Jeor also tries to keep some WF and Stark news from Jon, such as Robb taking an army South. Jon learns of this because Sam has to read the letter for blind Aemon, and he then mentions it to Jon, knowing he's not supposed to. Robb is not Catelyn and not Ned and young and would likely write to Jon at the Wall, while he must watch over Winterfell. And as Hand Ned would also attempt to write the Wall once in a while about affairs, and slip in a few lines for Jon.

Archived