Teleportation in ASOIAF

I was reading a Dance with Dragons for the fourth time and something caught my attention, something that surprisely never caught my attention before.

Tyrion is with Griff, Young Griff and their crew going through the Sorrows and there is a lot of fog, they are heading to the Bridge of Dreams. They passed it with no problem, but then, they are heading to the same bridge again, that was really creepy? I felt like it was a teleportation or something, because they didn't change directions, they just saw the bridge again in front of them.

What was that about?

I was reading a Dance with Dragons for the fourth time and something caught my attention, something that surprisely never caught my attention before.

Tyrion is with Griff, Young Griff and their crew going through the Sorrows and there is a lot of fog, they are heading to the Bridge of Dreams. They passed it with no problem, but then, they are heading to the same bridge again, that was really creepy? I felt like it was a teleportation or something, because they didn't change directions, they just saw the bridge again in front of them.

What was that about?

Could you tell me the chapter please cause now I'm really curious.

"Teleportation in Asoiaf" isnt a thing.

Bridge of Dream is a good topic for discussion however and they did go back past the same thing. You wont see this topic discussed too much (comparatively) around here, because it actually is mysterious and less certain than things like Jon being Rhaegars son and Jon having 3 different last names by series' end. And by that i mean people dont like to put ideas out there on these forums when it pertains to uncerainties/ things actually worth discussing as they may be proven wrong once the uncertain mystery goes the other way.

If you read the chapter more than once, slowly, and are aware of the now released origins of the greyscale disease then it becomes rather apparent. Again not something you'll see discussed/corroborated in other threads, but the "Bridge of dream rewind" (as its been referenced to on here) doesnt occur until AFTER Tyrion verbally identifies Young Griff as Aegon.

The answer to the whole thing is obviously just Magic. Magic is the answer if you want to look at it that way. Who or how or what caused the "rewind" is a question of the workings of magic, which is of course more or less inconsequential as a discussion topic. What triggered this magic to begin with however is pretty clearly Tyrion identifying Aegon, the "why" towards that is a bit more of an explanation

IIRC, the boat's captain says that the Rhoyne flows where it wills, aka. there was no magic involved. They basically made a large circle in the river, ending up behind where they had originally been. Why didn't they notice it? It's a wide circle, a small turn in a long distance is hard to notice, especially when you're not paying attention to it (Aegon discussion probably kept everyone's attention), and with everything covered in fog, well, it just makes it even harder to notice.

IIRC, the boat's captain says that the Rhoyne flows where it wills, aka. there was no magic involved. They basically made a large circle in the river, ending up behind where they had originally been. Why didn't they notice it? It's a wide circle, a small turn in a long distance is hard to notice, especially when you're not paying attention to it (Aegon discussion probably kept everyone's attention), and with everything covered in fog, well, it just makes it even harder to notice.

Ok so this isnt what happened for the record. Its one chapter in one book. They didnt go in some big circle. This literally is the same thing as people saying the doom was some natural disaster. Either just being a contrarian or have some like weird spite towards magic happening in a fantasy series. Your so terribly terribly wrong and so entirely confident your right its more disturbing than funny

They would have passed under the Bridge three times if that was the case.

Definitely doesn't have anything to do with the

Stonemen who're the victims of Greyscale,

which was created as a curse performed by a Rhoynish Prince in retaliation to Valyrian conquerors murdering hundreds of thousands while coincidentally spilling mass amounts of blood into the already mystical river

The Stonemen, who did nothing the first time Tyrion and company passed by, and then IMMEDIATELY after Tyrion verbally outed and aknowledged Faegon as Aegon Targaryen, they mystically get swept back to the same point andthe same Stonemen who could've cared less and seemingly saw no previous gan in attacking Tyrion and company jump down and start going for Faegon.

The reason and overall deeper mechanics towards why they did that is a bit more, and a lot more than deserves to be included in a persnickitty comment in a thread where people are trying to claim some type of river current was the cause.

They would have passed under the Bridge three times if that was the case.

Circles are not lines. They didn't go under the bridge (They never stopped and started going the other way) They took a long circle and went around the bridge, before floating back downstream and going under it.

Perhaps it was magic, perhaps not. No way to know unless Martin confirms it to be on or the other. Personally I don't find teleporting or time travelling plausible causes for anything in a series with as little magic as ASOIAF (Fine there's resurrections in the series, but I dislike them and would like the series better without them so I'll just ignore the fact that with Martin's magic "system" anything's possible), so I'm favoring the loop stream theory, but everyone can choose to believe what they want to.

Ok so this isnt what happened for the record. Its one chapter in one book. They didnt go in some big circle. This literally is the same thing as people saying the doom was some natural disaster. Either just being a contrarian or have some like weird spite towards magic happening in a fantasy series. Your so terribly terribly wrong and so entirely confident your right its more disturbing than funny

I have nothing against magic in fantasy, in general, however, magic without any rules (Such as the magic in ASOIAF) is IMO a big minus to whatever series it's a part of. Magic in WOT, for example, is a great addition to the series because it has some logic to it.

I have nothing against magic in fantasy, in general, however, magic without any rules (Such as the magic in ASOIAF) is IMO a big minus to whatever series it's a part of. Magic in WOT, for example, is a great addition to the series because it has some logic to it.

Not revealing the rules is not the same as not having any.

Archived