[No Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Non-spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who've not read the books or those who have but are happy to not actually reference them at all in discussion, taking each episode as it comes.

This topic should open automatically when the show begins airing.

Great episode! Liked the focus on the North with some developments in the other areas. I wonder what Ramsay's up to with his 20 men.

Questions: How is this with the White Walkers. Are they the same as those skeletons or are the White Walkers only those whiteish beings like the one John fought and the one he had eye contact with at the end? Because it was said only Dragon Stone could kill a White Walker. But still in ths fight they did kill skeletons right, or rather they can kill them temporarily until they are resurrected by the leaders? And people killed by the skeletons turn into skeletons too, but not into White Walkers, right?

Thanks for the answer, I know I could google but I'm too scared of spoilers. ;) So if any of these questions can't be answered yet, please ignore, but I'm sure it has been sort of explained in previous seasons, I only can't tremember.

The white walkers are the pure white monsters. The wights are just dead men they bring back to life. Either skeletons or recently deceased, and yes the wights are easier to kill. The walkers can only be killed by a few weapons so far.

Edited by Lord Sapna

Few things:

1) will Tommen starve himself to death? As per the phrophecy re Cersei's children

2) so Sansa knows her brothers could be alive. Don't forget that Ramsay told her in ep 7 that Jon Snow is still alive. She must have some hope now of a Stark uprising

3) can somebody explain why Tyrion saved Jorah from death but let him be banished? Was this the only way to spare his life and/or was he giving sage advice that Jorah would not be a sound advisor goven his affections?

Few things:

1) will Tommen starve himself to death? As per the phrophecy re Cersei's children

2) so Sansa knows her brothers could be alive. Don't forget that Ramsay told her in ep 7 that Jon Snow is still alive. She must have some hope now of a Stark uprising

3) can somebody explain why Tyrion saved Jorah from death but let him be banished? Was this the only way to spare his life and/or was he giving sage advice that Jorah would not be a sound advisor goven his affections?

1) Good point! Which episode was this again? I remember she got this prophesy but maybe I should re-watch.

2) True. She definitely has more to be strong for, more to fight for.

3) I'm not sure that can be explained without spoilers, maybe we'll see more about that in the future? For now I would agree with the explanation you have already given. In the world they live in (and actually ours too) (High) Treason can not go unpunished (compare also to the advisor she had executed a few episodes ago). So I think this was Tyrion's compromise to spare his life and at the same time he could prove his qualities as an advisor. From what we have seen from Tyrion I think he was actually convinced of what he said and as a ruler might have taken a similar decision.

I'm not sure however Jorah would not be a good advisor because of his affections, wasn't Tyrion's point that a ruler needs people who are devoted to them? As long Jorah puts her above his own interest (which he did)?

I think the prophecy was in the first episode of season 5 (or 4). It's been a couple of seasons since Joffray died somaybe Tommen in this season and then her daughter in a couple more seasons? Plus Tommen mentioned starving himself in episode 7 of this season. And with Cersei's uncle due back who knows what would happen? If Tommen does die then will the crown go to his sister, currently in Dorne?

I think Tyrion has something in mind for Jorah... not sure what? Victory in the fighting pit. If course, Jorah has the added complication of turning to stone maybe!

Hah, I loved how the Jon could do nothing but watch as the dead were revived.

Tommen not eating... Not good. Now if he dies there will only be Cersei. Can the Iron Throne survive an angry Cersei who has nothing left? Especially if Jaime cannot bring their daughter home?

Few things:

Thanks, it was the first episode of this season. There's a clip with just the prophesy on youtube which I now re-watched. In my opinion nothing there indicates that Tommen starves himself to death. It says about her kids “gold will be their crowns, gold their shrouds”. Very vague (as prophesies often are. ;)) I would conclude that they all will rule at some point (golden crowns). As with the golden shrouds the question is whether this means that they will all die as rulers, in their palaces rather than in battle? Or is it closer than that, Joffrey died from poison out of a golden goblet, will the other two die of something directly related to gold too?

So as to Tommen starving. I’m still doubtful. Yes he indicated it and the advisor said so – but can we trust that’s really what’s happening? Tommen has so far been characterized as a weakling who is easy to influence. Not exactly the character to inflict suffering on himself, and even if so, definitely the character who would stop if some authority would convince him there are better ways. The Olenna Tyrell? His greatuncle?

In my opinion Tommen starving to death would even kind of contradict the prophesy. It said that Cersei will be queen for a time but „then comes another, younger, more beautiful, to cast you down and take all you hold dear”. Tommen is one of the three kids she holds dear, so if he starves himself to death, would he really have been taken by this young queen?

Also the prophesy kind of indicates that there should be a turn in this whole trial business against Cersei too, because right now it is her relative and the High Sparrow who are casting her down, when according to the prophesy it should be a queen…

Tommen not eating... Not good. Now if he dies there will only be Cersei. Can the Iron Throne survive an angry Cersei who has nothing left? Especially if Jaime cannot bring their daughter home?

At the moment Cersei seems far away from the Iron Throne. For now Jaime can not bring anyone home, even if he was not captured in Dorne because he would be put to jail and face the same charges as Cersei. If she was convicted, wouldn’t the children immediately lose the claim to the throne, maybe also be persecuted as products of incest? But as said I expect some turns in these trials.

Edited by valirpaz

Why don't the white walkers send terms or try to communicate? ???

Twinstars - "gold will be their crowns, gold their shrouds" -this is referring to all of Cersei's children so there is the possibility of Mycella wearing a crown as well.... either by Tommens death of Dorne taking Westeros (without Dany?).

Why don't the white walkers send terms or try to communicate? ???

Twinstars - "gold will be their crowns, gold their shrouds" -this is referring to all of Cersei's children so there is the possibility of Mycella wearing a crown as well.... either by Tommens death of Dorne taking Westeros (without Dany?).

Well, I would say that they aren't sending terms or communicating because it doesn't really seem like they need to do so at this point. They have the humans on the run.

Couldn't gold will be their crowns just be their gold Lannister hair?

Interesting point. But if gold = Lannister than it would mean that their death comes by Lannisters as well. That could become true for Tommen if he dies as a result of the investigation his relative backed, but it was not true for Joffrey (unless you argue it was his own cruel personality that got him killed).

Hey guys.

I was just wondering, regarding Ser Jorah's greyscale. Do you guys think he's going to die or be cured? A couple of episodes before we were told about how Stanis' daughter was cured from greyscale, do you think the writers included this on purpose to show there is still hope for Ser Jorah?

Thanks-

Please no spoilers.