[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Fury Burns, on 31 May 2015 - 8:01 PM, said:snapback.png

I don't know why everyone hates Kit's acting. I really like the way he plays his role.

Lol not everyone hates his acting. The negativity is just from the vocal minor group.

I think he's very good as Jon Snow....I mean, he's no Dabney Coleman, but...

Ramsey and Roose talk about how "damn, we good-ass fighters in the North, if Stannis comes up against us we gon' kick his ass!" But have they ever fought in any battles that actually took place in the North?

Ramsey's never fought in any large scale battle ever before in his life. Just that skirmish with Yara.

And Roose... Roose fought in the War against the Mad King, or at least was alive at that time, but there were no battles behind the neck. The Greyjoy Rebellion was also only fought in the Iron Islands.... It's not like skill with fighting in the snow is a trait bred into all Northerners. Also, how many full-blown winters has Ramsey seen before? I'm assuming he's as old as Robb and Jon, and they were still kids the last time winter came along, or maybe not even born yet, idk.

Anyway, if he seriously does major damage to Stannis and his thousands of men with only 20 I'm gonna be hugely pissed at how crazy that is.

But Tyrion is a Lannister who hasn't harmed any of the Targaryens; he did not personally even raise arms against them (in the books he would have been a child at the time of Robert's Rebellion). Daenerys usually tries to avoid personally killing innocents; and it's not as if Tyrion has enslaved anyone, or even (like poor Tommen) claimed the crown she should have worn in Westeros. It is in character for Daenerys to at least consider Tyrion's worth before ordering his execution.

I'm pretty sure she tossed some random former slave owner to the dragons a few episodes back. Not too concerned with guilt then. And who cares if it was Tyrion himself. He's a Lannister. His brother killed her father. His father ordered Rhaegor's wife and kids to be murdered. Is she really going to be bothered by such subtleties of which Lannister was responsible? She's been raised to hate all of the "Usurper's dogs." I just think its more a plot of convenience to give viewers what they want to see, rather than make any sense for Dany's character. Strangely enough, maybe it shows that Dany really is in over her head and making bad decisions left and right...

All in all I thought a very good episode in all respects and one that justifies a lot of the decisions people complained bitterly about earlier in the series.

For the first few seasons, book readers have been able to lord it over the unsullied because they know what is going to happen. That has changed a lot this season and is now pretty much ended. The only remaining big spoilers that the unsullied don't know about are Danny flying off on Drogon and Jon getting the stabby stabby.

I think that dynamic is what really lies behind a lot of the complaints that people have been making. And some of them have been the most idiotic and tedious complaints imaginable. If I had been writing the show, Ser Barristan wouldn't have made it on screen. Favorite characters getting whacked is all part of GoT and so are gratuitous nude scenes. If people don't like either they should make themselves some lemon cakes to eat while they wait for the next book to come out.

But the complaints that annoy me the most are the ones where someone watches what happens one week, predicts what will happen as a result the next and then complains that it is 'stupid'. Only the thing is that in all the cases that come to mind, it is the complainers who have been wrong in their predictions rather than the two guys who wrote the biggest, most expensive TV serial of all time.

In case folk didn't notice, it turns out that D&D have not played to the 'rape is empowerment' trope that is very common in SF and rather tedious and annoying. It isn't the rape that has brought Sansa out of her descent, it is the knowledge that her two brothers are alive.

One of the things that I have thought for a while is that D&D will have great difficulty ending the series in three more seasons, let alone two. So killing off the Lemoncakes filler and the meander through the swamp with fake Aegon made perfect sense.

It would be nice if people would restrict their complaints to things that have actually happened in the show, not the things they expect are going to happen.

Great ep. The 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse on the Hill. The WW Commander made the fire diminish when he walked through to engage Jon. Jon is a great character. Tyrion and Dany , for me is a really interesting, I believe Tyrion is a Targaryen. The mad king was not averse to bedding whomever he wanted. Maybe he got Joanna pregnant? Waaaayyyyyy back in the first series , there seemed to be a bond betweeen Tyrion and Jon Snow. Tyrion as a child read everything he could about the dragons. So glad the show is pushing forward, this ep and last week's are two that I can say I did not get bored at all. Hardhorne Battle was really well done. The end scene is creepy. Welcome return to the atmosphere of that glistening first ep of the first series. And to all the DnD haters notice how they scripted this ep and last week's ep? I think they are doing a great joband GRMM should be pleased.

A+J=T all the way baby!

Lol Ramsay and his 20 men, are the SEAL Team 6 of Westeros. You didn't get the memo?

I'll never understand the boner these writers have for Ramsay. They go out of their way to make him stronger, smarter, and just overall more 'badass' than he is. Even in his depravity they glorify him.

Though regardless, I smell doom in his future anyways. Compared to Mel and Stannis, he isn't exactly much.

All in all I thought a very good episode in all respects and one that justifies a lot of the decisions people complained bitterly about earlier in the series.

For the first few seasons, book readers have been able to lord it over the unsullied because they know what is going to happen. That has changed a lot this season and is now pretty much ended. The only remaining big spoilers that the unsullied don't know about are Danny flying off on Drogon and Jon getting the stabby stabby.

I think that dynamic is what really lies behind a lot of the complaints that people have been making. And some of them have been the most idiotic and tedious complaints imaginable. If I had been writing the show, Ser Barristan wouldn't have made it on screen. Favorite characters getting whacked is all part of GoT and so are gratuitous nude scenes. If people don't like either they should make themselves some lemon cakes to eat while they wait for the next book to come out.

But the complaints that annoy me the most are the ones where someone watches what happens one week, predicts what will happen as a result the next and then complains that it is 'stupid'. Only the thing is that in all the cases that come to mind, it is the complainers who have been wrong in their predictions rather than the two guys who wrote the biggest, most expensive TV serial of all time.

In case folk didn't notice, it turns out that D&D have not played to the 'rape is empowerment' trope that is very common in SF and rather tedious and annoying. It isn't the rape that has brought Sansa out of her descent, it is the knowledge that her two brothers are alive.

One of the things that I have thought for a while is that D&D will have great difficulty ending the series in three more seasons, let alone two. So killing off the Lemoncakes filler and the meander through the swamp with fake Aegon made perfect sense.

It would be nice if people would restrict their complaints to things that have actually happened in the show, not the things they expect are going to happen.

:agree:

I'll also add, based on the promo, Bronn turning his cloak - because Doran isn't talking to Jaime there