[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

I think it's because, his peers on the show Richard Madden and Alfie Allen are far superior in acting chops to Kit. although, I will admit Kit has improved a bit each season

I thought Richard Madden was adequate at best and Alfie is overrated. Kit was pretty bad in S2/3 (big part of it was the writing, they turned him into such a whiny doofus) but his work for the past two seasons has been on point.

Which explains Selyse shot during the trailer.

The blizzard reduces visibility to a few meters.

But how does that make it believable for ChefRamsay to even find Shireen?

I'm not usually critical if mistakes by the showrunners but word of Maester Aemon's death apparently already received by Tyrion in Mereen? He told Dany she is the "last living Targareyen". Strange considering he met Aemon and got on rather well with him. A history buff like Tyrion isn't likely to forget mentioning someone like Aemon Targareyen especially considering he spent time with him

Tbf an old guy in the Night's Watch who is never going to lift a finger to help Dany in her conquest is hardly worth mentioning to her.

I was wondering something. If Jon and the wildlings are taking Stannis' ships back to Eastwatch by the sea why are they on the wrong side of the wall in the preview for next week's episode?

Because creatively it must have made sense to D&D, because they wanted it to happen

I'm not usually critical if mistakes by the showrunners but word of Maester Aemon's death apparently already received by Tyrion in Mereen? He told Dany she is the "last living Targareyen". Strange considering he met Aemon and got on rather well with him. A history buff like Tyrion isn't likely to forget mentioning someone like Aemon Targareyen especially considering he spent time with him

Interesting

One of the inconsistencies of the show is the timelines, since the plots take place in so many locations, but apparently not at the same time. Tyrion's meeting with Dany is probably further out in the timeline in comparison to Aemon's death. This they can get away with (somewhat) because Meereen and the Wall are so far separated in space.

quick statement, I also thought the four horsemen and just seeing again after jon won his one on one with the WW was chilling.

Loved my Sansa wished there was a few minutes more.

Very good episode.

Again, can we stop discussing continuity 'errors' in shows that have not yet been broadcast?

Folk need to allow for the possibility that the two guys who managed to persuade GRRM to let them make the show and HBO to give them two thirds of a billion dollars budget just might know rather more about what they are doing than a bunch of random folk posting on a blog.

Does Tyrion know who Aemon is? I seem to remember it being a reveal to Jon long after Tyrion left. So Tyrion thinks Danny is the last living Targarean because he isn't aware of any secret Targs even though we know of at least one.

Plus, in the context of the talk, Tyrion isn't going to count a Maester or a member of the Blackwatch because both give up their families. Aemon is both. He is no longer a Targarean because he is a Maester.

Because creatively it must have made sense to D&D, because they wanted it to happen

Or when the wildings get to castle black they suggest they know where others are hiding.

Plenty of ways to get wildings and Jon the other side of that wall.

Edited by hallam

Tbf an old guy in the Night's Watch who is never going to lift a finger to help Dany in her conquest is hardly worth mentioning to her.

Not Frank at all. He is a living legend, or was. Brother of Aegon, who stepped aside for the good of the realmost which is what Tyrion is suggesting might be her best move in the short term. How could he not mention that her own relative and last living relative was so selfless.

Dany + Tyrion was so much awesome that I can't even process... Thank you show for giving us what GRRM refused to do. And apparently is putting off for like 80% of TWOW as well. JFC.

But, I felt bad for Jorah (pretty harsh, Tyrion...) and also a little confused. What's he thinking at this point? I mean, I understand the plot demands Jorah be in the pit but his actions make little sense other than just naked obsession like "I MUST LOOK UPON HER GLORIOUS COUNTENANCE ONCE MORE" which is just a bit pathetic tbh. ...And I mean more pathetic than usual.

I'm pretty sure she tossed some random former slave owner to the dragons a few episodes back. Not too concerned with guilt then. And who cares if it was Tyrion himself. He's a Lannister. His brother killed her father. His father ordered Rhaegor's wife and kids to be murdered. Is she really going to be bothered by such subtleties of which Lannister was responsible? She's been raised to hate all of the "Usurper's dogs." I just think its more a plot of convenience to give viewers what they want to see, rather than make any sense for Dany's character. Strangely enough, maybe it shows that Dany really is in over her head and making bad decisions left and right...

Hahahahhaha this shit is hilarious. You people are so invested in your "Dany is evil and stupid" dogma that you believe the showrunners have purposefully changed her character in order to make her look good when it fact, The truth is this is who she is and who she's always been.

Did she kill the Hostage Mereenese kids? Nup. Would she kill Arya Stark for Being Ned's daughter, or Tyrion for being Tywin's? double nope. In fact the usurper's dogs did and always has only referred to actual people involved in the rebellion: Tywin, Jaime, Ned, and Jon A (see ACOK). I suggest you just give up and rejoin reality - it's futile at this point.

My takeaway... The Sansa thing is interesting, does the news that Bran and Rickon are still alive maybe is what she needed to turn into a killer.

Ramsay attacking w 20 men he is obviously going to try and hit them under cover of dark and run.

The Dany and Tyrion angle is interesting, Tyrion has brought more life to Mereen than we have seen in 2 seasons.

The battle at Hardhome was unbelievable, I know it's not that way in the books but this is one of the few instances where the show is better than the books, that was incredible. I didn't think Valaryan steel worked on wights, I guess I was wrong. Great fight scene, seems a shame that the Ides of Ollie will more than likely happen in episode 9.

Every odd season a Stark take someone's head off early in that season and what happens in episode 9?

Storms/ ships overloaded- not very hard to see how they justify. A bit anticlimactic if they just sort of disperse from Eastwatch [ which isn't really a thing in showniverse anyway...

Alliser will let them in because of respect for the chain of command.

Now how they are meant to speak to each other at that distance...