[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

I took this news that Sansa heard as her realizing LF was wrong and she is NOT the last remaining Stark. ....

I am not sure if I am correct on this one but if Sansa knows Bran and/or Rickon are indeed alive, does that mean she realizes Winterfell goes to them by law because they are Stark men?

I also got a little sense of that. Why the hell did I marry this monster if the true heir to Winterfell is alive?

That's interesting, I think the outcome is the same either way. She is more interested her family is alive than her claim I believe though, I could be wrong.

I saw it as Realization #1. My brothers are alive! Best news ever! #2. Theon didn't kill my brothers. He's not as bad as I thought. That's good because I have to live with him. #3 (What I said above).

Sophie Turner is actually becoming a really good actress, all that practice of not being able to say anything when bad things happen to Sansa and having to convey her emotions somehow.

Edited by obsessedwithjon

Yeah I agree with most of this. Ep 1 set things up well. So, 1, 7 and 8. But 2-6 should have been edited down to 2, maybe 3, episodes, with no drone and much less Rambrienne. Below average quality from this show is less than satisfactory though after 4 season with zero shitty episodes.

Poor Brienne. Her presence anywhere, in the books or the show, is too much for people. Can't a girl catch a break?

I think I figured out the ending of the books now. Dany is going to sail to Westeros, break the wheel, kill all the noble families in the process steal their Valyrian Steel and send it to Jon.

And then Shireen burns everyone, including herself

Yep! Good ear, I noticed this as well.

I'm wondering if Varys hasn't been hangin out in Dorne since losing Tyrion. Maybe he's giving Doran the same pitch he gave Tyrion (since apparently there was no old marriage plot with Viserys and anyone, maybe Varys will be trying to set up Tristane and Daenerys instead). Then, I guess the sandsnakes stupidness will be behind us.

Unfortunately it probably also means that we will get lots of "buh we luuuv each other" from tris and myrcella... yikes.

Varys showing up in Dorne would be pretty cool. I'm "meh" about him killing Pycelle and Kevan, because after season 4's offing of Tywin, it would just be same-old, same-old.

Goodness, I hadn't even thought about how awful Tris and Myrcella are. I, like the show, have refused to dwell on them too much. But, damn, you're right! At least Tris is nice eye candy.

Here's hoping Dany's alliance with Dorne means a Dornish army from the South and her army from the east squeezing the realm from two sides, so we don't have to revisit all those awful characters in great detail.

If Dany lands in Dorne, god help us.

Varys showing up in Dorne would be pretty cool. I'm "meh" about him killing Pycelle and Kevan, because after season 4's offing of Tywin, it would just be same-old, same-old.

I have a bad feeling their going to simplify Varys' final scene and just get rid of all the little birds, and I think that would be a mistake. The thing that made that scene particularly terrifying when I was reading it was all those creepy little fuckers coming at Kevan.

This explains why we dont get more Ghost scenes, does anyone remember that Jon still has his pet Direwolf? In the books they are practically frick and frack!

I've been wondering about this too and trust there is a reason. As you probably recall, towards the end of DWD, Jon has to keep Ghost locked away because the skinchanger's boar is bothered by Ghost. Jon continues to keep Ghost locked up despite Mel's warnings. Without the skinchanger and his boar at Castle Black, there is no good reason to have Ghost locked away. Whenever and however Jon has his near death experience this season, Ghost should not be there to save him. So it might be better viewers are used to them being apart this season.

To me, the physical distance between Jon and Ghost is important when Jon whispers "Ghost" with what may be his last breath. He is not expecting Ghost to come running to his side but calls out to him anyway.

(Yes, I probably know the level of detail of these scenes in the book a little too well. Hence the name.)

I have a bad feeling their going to simplify Varys' final scene and just get rid of all the little birds, and I think that would be a mistake. The thing that made that scene particularly terrifying when I was reading it was all those creepy little fuckers coming at Kevan.

Yes, but think about how much more seemingly altrustic Varys is on the show compared to in the books where he is much more of a schemer...it seems pretty clear to me they go the simplification route.

so in the last 2 eps, Sansa found out about Jon and Bran and Rickon. what's next ? Benjen will be the hooded man, and he'll walk past her in the hall and wink

Danny is cool with Tyrion working with Varys and arriving into her city, knowing Varys tried to have her killed? and it's all good ? :dunno:

I truly believe that sending Jaime to Dorne was one of the worst decisions D&D have made, when they had a reliably great plotline of Brienne, Jaime, and LSH in the Riverlands (with other recurring characters).

I suppose Dorne is going to be important to Dany.

Something not mentioned on this thread, but Tyrion's speech mentioned *all* the great houses, except the Martells. They will be the only "rich" who support Dany, and she will ally with the Dornish. That is the only reason we have Dorne. Now, whether it needed the Sandy Worms and Jaime and Bronn is an entirely different matter.

He also left out Arryn, Tully, and Boltons (arguably a great house now that they are wardens of the North).

Yes, but think about how much more seemingly altrustic Varys is on the show compared to in the books where he is much more of a schemer...it seems pretty clear to me they go the simplification route.

Varys is altruistic, but he's still not a good person. He's done some terrible deeds, I don't think they should try to make him the hero of the show.

Varys is altruistic, but he's still not a good person. He's done some terrible deeds, I don't think they should try to make him the hero of the show.

I truly believe that sending Jaime to Dorne was one of the worst decisions D&D have made, when they had a reliably great plotline of Brienne, Jaime, and LSH in the Riverlands (with other recurring characters).

I suppose Dorne is going to be important to Dany.

Something not mentioned on this thread, but Tyrion's speech mentioned *all* the great houses, except the Martells. They will be the only "rich" who support Dany, and she will ally with the Dornish. That is the only reason we have Dorne. Now, whether it needed the Sandy Worms and Jaime and Bronn is an entirely different matter.

Dorne is very bad, yes. So I can only hope that it will be important and it had to be included. When Tyrion was listing the houses I did also notice he did not mention the Martells so maybe that is how it will go, Doran will give his support to Dany. Perhaps we'll learn more of his plans next week.

so in the last 2 eps, Sansa found out about Jon and Bran and Rickon. what's next ? Benjen will be the hooded man, and he'll walk past her in the hall and wink

Danny is cool with Tyrion working with Varys and arriving into her city, knowing Varys tried to have her killed? and it's all good ? :dunno:

Tyrion pretty much confirmed Varys was just surviving, he never had any intention of having Dany killed.

Maybe its just me, but I see him portrayed as much MORE altruistic/honorable/noble in the show then in the novels. Could be bias though.