[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

The Night's King or whatever he may call himself... when he confronts the Mannis, he'll go back to the far North like a 100m dash olympic medalist... because if he crosses the wall, he bends the knee or... else

There´s a reason the Others did not invade when the Demon of the Trident was alive... FEAR, FEAR AND BLUUUD

Edited by Laughing Storm Reborn

Yes! My thoughts exactly, seeing as how Manderly is out of the equation (and following fake Sansa storyline) she and Theon escapes and gets taken to Stannis and then Sansa swears Stark loyalty in exchange for Davos finding Bran and Rickon.

Only problem I have with this theory is the Skagos connection which might be difficult to weave in.

Yes! My thoughts exactly, seeing as how Manderly is out of the equation (and following fake Sansa storyline) she and Theon escapes and gets taken to Stannis and then Sansa swears Stark loyalty in exchange for Davos finding Bran and Rickon.

Only problem I have with this theory is the Skagos connection which might be difficult to weave in.

I dont remember fully, but did Osha talk about hiding at Last Hearth, or was she going to Skagos, like the books? I would believe for the shows sake, Davis would take Sansa with him to the closest possible place for Rickon to be, like maybe Osha backpedaled to stay close to news of what's going on and they're at the Hearth for Davos and Sansa to find...besides, if Davos goes on his own how would he recognize Rickon?

I didn't post last week; I got a little sad at the thought that there once was this show that I loved and used to love writing about, butt hen that show turned into this terrible show, without life or purpose; just this soul-less, monstrosity that did bad things without rhyme or reason; this demented awfulness would just shamble forward on it sown momentum, foisted up by all the legions of individuals who were unthinking standard-bearers for this terribleness.

I mean, where would I have gotten an idea like that?

Going to forego my normal review to just say these few things: I love the resurrection of Tyrion and his import on Dany's story-line. Though, truth be told, Dany's trust and import into Tyrion seems far too trusting for someone as in peril as Dany. Loved Dany's command and Tyrion's intelligence; loved Cersei in prison and how the show is showing her inexorable decline; loved that Reek told Sansa about Bran and Rickon, though not certain that is going to turn out well; loved Jon Snow beyond the Wall, how he dealt with the wildlings and how he and Tormond made their pitch.

Then came the storm.

That last battle was intense; gripping, meaningful and in many ways, glorious. I think the show did a fantastic job in drawing together these disparate people and weaving them into this narrative; I found myself caring not just about Jon and Edd and Tormond, but for the woman they met,that giant and even the people who were nameless and faceless as they scrambled for their lives against the oncoming storm of death and destruction. I thought the White Walker-Emperor was scary and in full command. And that final scene- even though we ALL saw it coming- of the Other's arms outstretched as an instant-army of new-Walkers silently rise and take their place. That silence was deafening.

Now, as great as that scene was- and it was special - it was nothing more than a Medieval Walking Dead episode; And that's fine. Some of the more crystallized problems with the show (rape, torture as plot devices; D&D obviously having no idea why we like the show or why it works; no idea on how to tell this story now that they don't have the books to propel them forward; sense-less story-lines, boring pace etc). BUT ... I feel like the show is getting back on the right track.

Meh: Arya. What she is doing seems interesting but it seems less tied to the plot than Dany and significantly smaller after that scene North of the Wall. She seems like what she is doing is interesting, just not at all important.

What I didn't like: Who gives a fuck about the fighting pits? I DON'T! Sam... Jesus... what a repetitive, boring character who is being under-utilized. Don't care about him or Gilly; they are stale and pointless. Don't TELL us about Pycell bringing back Kevan, SHOW us Pyrcell bringing back Kevin; Jorah Mormont being in the city, then outside the City, then in, then out again. Fuck. DO SOMETHING WITH HIM! Stop making his life goal to get Dany to look at him. And Jaime is dead, right?

But this was a great episode to see after ~5-6 episodes of utter boredom, stupidity, listlessness and pointlessness. Finally, GoT seemed important again. Lets keep that momentum up.

Meh: Arya. What she is doing seems interesting but it seems less tied to the plot than Dany and significantly smaller after that scene North of the Wall. She seems like what she is doing is interesting, just not at all important.

It may seem that way, but Arya is going to have a huge role to play in the end game, you can count on that. Bran and Sansa will too.

Everyone seems to think the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones is really all just about Jon Snow, Tyrion and Dany.......I think when the Winds of Winter is released, that will be far from the truth

Edited by Gaz0680

It may seem that way, but Arya is going to have a huge role to play in the end game, you can count on that. Bran and Sansa will too.

She definitely will; no question. But juxtaposed against what is going on, it seems trivial. It probably isn't, but it seems that way.

Edited by Rockroi

This seems to be surprising. Two weeks ago we´ve had one of the worst episodes ever, written by Cogman But tis time, D+D wrote some very good pieces of dalogue between Tyrion and Dany and succesfuly builded up the story towards the greatest battle scene the show has ever seen! Even Arya scenes, while not very rich in content, were directed quite well. I have a huge hopes towards the last two. I still think that some of the changes from the books were incredibly stupid, but at the same time this season gives us so much exciting memories.

EDIT: Even that guy whose mission is to tell us every week why the books are better, is suddenly quiet today....

Edited by Rhodan

So the Slaver who bought Jorah and Tyrion is allowed to go free without punishment and continue buying slaves for the fighting pits?

Isn't that why he tossed them token coins when he bought them and after he gave the pouch of coins to the slaver? Wasn't it so he could claim they were "free men" because he had "paid" them for their services. When he tossed Tyrion his coins (not sure, cuz I couldn't hear him exactly) that those would have to last him a lifetime. ie. he really is a slave, but he is getting around the law by giving him a few pennies? Also, Jorah tossed his money back at the small pit master acknowledging he was actually his slave to be bought and sold after the fight at the big pit? That's the impression I had anyways....could be wrong tho.

Everyone seems to think the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones is really all just about Jon Snow, Tyrion and Dany.......I think when the Winds of Winter is released, that will be far from the truth

Tell me this first, since when faceless men became an organization for small folks, and kill for justice, that is so ridiculous

Show runners gave a little wink to book readers regarding Arya/Lanna - anyone catch it? As she's wheeling the cart of oysters around, they have a little Cat dart about in front of her. It's quick, and I'm not sure why they changed the name, but I enjoyed it.

Does anyone else think that Sansa will task Brienne with finding Bran and Rickon now that she knows they are alive?

Good grief. Brienne in her usual stealth mode will march into every castle and tavern in Westeros announcing "Sansa Stark has sent me here to look for her brothers Bran and Rickon who it turns out are alive!"