[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

The way I see it is that it's his only chance to see her again. He had this whole plan to get back into her good graces by bringing her "a gift" I bet he saw it playing out in his head that she would forgive him and take him back. So after getting kicked out AGAIN he pretty much realized that nothing that he does will make a difference. Add to that the fact that he's dying from greyscale, and in his mind one last chance to see her again and be in the presence of the woman he loves is probably worth spending the rest of his life as a slave since either way he'll be miserable without her.

Do we think Jorah will take the role of Barristan when the crap hits the fan this week in the Pit? He could be taken up to the pyramid, perhaps to protect Tyrion? Then we get the armored knight scene that Barristan has in the book?

Also - maybe it's just me, but I keep thinking the fact the scale is on his arm - maybe we get the Victarion Morroqo injured hand/arm treatment for Jorah.

That reminds me, there was some question about the "evil-ness" of the Others and that they might be misunderstood. However, they are clearly positioned as bad guys here - the ultimate antagonists - and I'm wondering if there will be some ambiguity in the books.

Good grief. Brienne in her usual stealth mode will march into every castle and tavern in Westeros announcing "Sansa Stark has sent me here to look for her brothers Bran and Rickon who it turns out are alive!"

Haha! I could hear her saying that, too!

Do we think Jorah will take the role of Barristan when the crap hits the fan this week in the Pit?

I think it's heading that way but his absorption of JonCon makes me wonder whether they aren't going to toss him to Bear Island to die ala JC to Griffin's Roost.

That reminds me, there was some question about the "evil-ness" of the Others and that they might be misunderstood. However, they are clearly positioned as bad guys here - the ultimate antagonists - and I'm wondering if there will be some ambiguity in the books.

Probably more ambiguity and a lot more explanation but they're clearly the bad guys in the books also. Mel is wrong about a lot of stuff, but I don't think she's wrong about the battle for the survival of humanity, and even in the very first GOT chapter, they're bad guys.

This is essentially what happens on the Fist of the First Men yet people still persist that the Pthers are simply "misunderstood". So I wouldn't hold your breath

[/quote

I think the Others somehow are related to the Stark's , possibly the Stark have Other blood.

Although I believe the Others are the ultimate bad guys, I think there might be a few good Others who do not want to kill people and turn them. George is the writer of Fevre Dream and that was exactly the case for the vampires there. A good vampire and his followers were trying to find a cure that would release them from being addicted to human blood.

Edited by Mithras

I think the Others somehow are related to the Stark's , possibly the Stark have Other blood.

I've seen this a few times but I'm not sure how or why people are making this correlation. I know that the old Starks have been called more fierce and grey than Ned but that is a completely different world than the Others trying to kill out mankind. Perhaps there's something to the Night King's wife but that would be the only way I could see there being some Other blood in the Starks. I think the Starks are the ones that are meant to keep the Others in check, not be a part of them. That would put them in the same league as Craster and his sons and I really don't see the Starks being in that league.

IMO, the Others could have great, understandable reasons for why they are doing what they are doing, but if nothing short of the warm blooded being killed and or converted will work for them, the Others are going to be "bad guys" to good men, bad men, and all men in between. Personally, I hope there is an irreconcilable difference between the sides, rather than some misunderstanding or grudge that can be solved by the right representatives.

hallam, on 01 Jun 2015 - 12:08 AM, said:snapback.png

How about we wait to find out?

They almost certainly have a reason.

Getting rather fed up of complaints about continuity errors in episodes not yet screened.

Or we could speculate about what possible reason there would be for this since this is a thread for discussion. Of course being a gripe always works too.

I am a diehard show supporter through and through. No need to pick a fight with someone on the same side. If the reason for this is because EW hasn't been addressed too much in the showverse then fine I guess they couldn't make it south of the wall for some reason. I have a feeling it won't even be addressed.

Seriously hallam???? I am not a diehard show supporter, admittedly, but I discovered the books having watched the show first. Although I don't post that much myself, I thoroughly enjoy the discussions here, including people speculating on what may be in store for the readers/viewers.

It is quite ridiculous to try to shut people up on a blog the whole purpose of which is to give people a platform to express themselves.

Do we think Jorah will take the role of Barristan when the crap hits the fan this week in the Pit? He could be taken up to the pyramid, perhaps to protect Tyrion? Then we get the armored knight scene that Barristan has in the book?

Also - maybe it's just me, but I keep thinking the fact the scale is on his arm - maybe we get the Victarion Morroqo injured hand/arm treatment for Jorah.

Interesting thought about the arm. I thought they put it on his forearm, rather than fingers, because he wouldn't be able to wear gloves a la JonCon to cover it up, being a slave and all. But maybe you are right. Would be great to have the Red Priest show up.