[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

The thing about killing Stannis off or killing him and Shireen off is that we lose Davos, a very beloved character, and we lose Selyse... not so loved. Either way, eliminating him now will leave us with a North controlled by the Boltons forever and ever, with Sansa getting daily rapings, and leaving no hope for any Starks to ever get any real power. I like Stannis and Davos too much for them to be killed off and replaced their screen time with those Sandflakes

Sandflakes :lmao: Meh I doubt many care about Davos. The boltons won't rule forever and forever. The queen is coming to break the wheel :cool4:

I am surprised there hasn't been much discussion about the hooded figure on the boat.

There is no way that was just random. The Wildlings were in white camo, and the NW was in their black garb.

Why would someone need to hide with a brown cloak over them.

Maybe it is Benjan? Maybe coldhands? maybe it is the Nights King himself?

There has to be something significant about the hooded man (he wasnt moving, wasnt rowing).

Well there were actually a few guys on the boat that had hoods on (some were rowing) so I don't see the mystery there and we also did get to see the face of the hooded guy in the back, briefly yes but it was shown. So just a wardrobe choice for a few people, no mystery, nothing significant and certainly not Benjen.

Sandflakes :lmao: Meh I doubt many care about Davos. The boltons won't rule forever and forever. The queen is coming to break the wheel :cool4:

Everyone I watch it with loves Davos. I'm not sure what makes you think people don't like him. He's nice and a good man, which is more than anyone else in Westeros. And, yeah, please. I hope she understands that she can't just "break" a cycle that has been going on for thousands of years. Does she want to destroy every major family in Westeros? Seriously, even Tyrion rolled his eyes at that speech, and I did aswell. If the Boltons sided with Dany, she would pardon them. That's all she cares about, is getting her throne, and murdering those who deny her. I seriously hope she just sits her blonde haired not-purple-eyed body right in Essos never goes west and leaves the justice to those who actually deliver it... Stannis!

Everyone I watch it with loves Davos. I'm not sure what makes you think people don't like him. He's nice and a good man, which is more than anyone else in Westeros. And, yeah, please. I hope she understands that she can't just "break" a cycle that has been going on for thousands of years. Does she want to destroy every major family in Westeros? Seriously, even Tyrion rolled his eyes at that speech, and I did aswell. If the Boltons sided with Dany, she would pardon them. That's all she cares about, is getting her throne, and murdering those who deny her. I seriously hope she just sits her blonde haired not-purple-eyed body right in Essos never goes west and leaves the justice to those who actually deliver it... Stannis!

I think its best you quit the books/show now as nothing is going to go your way :lmao:

Edited by Dany4eva

I'm not usually critical if mistakes by the showrunners but word of Maester Aemon's death apparently already received by Tyrion in Mereen? He told Dany she is the "last living Targareyen". Strange considering he met Aemon and got on rather well with him. A history buff like Tyrion isn't likely to forget mentioning someone like Aemon Targareyen especially considering he spent time with him

:agree:

No, what Tyrion said was that there is no one with Dany's name left to support her. He did not say that Dany was the last living Targaryen. Even with Aemon alive there is no Targaryens left to support Dany, the NW do not support anyone and certainly not individual members of it. So not a show mistake.

Tbf an old guy in the Night's Watch who is never going to lift a finger to help Dany in her conquest is hardly worth mentioning to her.

He didn't just "not mention" him, though! He specifically made a point of denying his existence, which must have made the audience think of him, and, for example, wonder how Tyrion would have known of his death... or why mention him, indirectly, sort of.

Not that it makes any difference for Daenaerys who doesn't know him from Aemon the Dragonknight....

In an ideal world, Ser Barristan should have known of and about Aemon, and told her, too! Forgotten on the wall as he might have been, but "educated" people like Tyrion and Sam did know who he was when they met him. Even Jon did, for Ruhloo's sake... And Selmy had been on the Small Council for years, not to mention him being a contemporary of Aegon/Egg, having been knighted by one of the Duncans (I think), etc. etc.

Even more so in the Show timeline, because they removed a generation of Targaryens and made Aemon Dany's great-uncle instead of great-great-uncle. Which would put him and Barristan more or less in the same generation!

But that's neither here nor there.... :dunno:

He didn't just "not mention" him, though! He specifically made a point of denying his existence, which must have made the audience think of him, and, for example, wonder how Tyrion would have known of his death... or why mention him, indirectly, sort of.

Not that it makes any difference for Daenaerys who doesn't know him from Aemon the Dragonknight....

In an ideal world, Ser Barristan should have known of and about Aemon, and told her, too! Forgotten on the wall as he might have been, but "educated" people like Tyrion and Sam did know who he was when they met him. Even Jon did, for Ruhloo's sake... And Selmy had been on the Small Council for years, not to mention him being a contemporary of Aegon/Egg, having been knighted by one of the Duncans (I think), etc. etc.

Even more so in the Show timeline, because they removed a generation of Targaryens and made Aemon Dany's great-uncle instead of great-great-uncle. Which would put him and Barristan more or less in the same generation!

I agree that Selmy maybe should've mentioned him but you are really putting the wrong words in Tyrion's mouth here, he did not at any point say that Dany is the last of her name just talked about there not being anyone in her name lef to support her and that is very true. Is it not?

You're getting too technical here. The real issue is if Tyrion mentioned Aemon it would lead to confusion among unsullied/casual viewers.

The majority of viewers don't know the exact relation between Aemon and Dany, they don't know Aemon's backstory, all they know is they watched him die last episode. To come back the very next episode and talk of him as Dany's "last living relative" would make unsullied/casuals think "wait... didn't he just die last week, or are they talking about someone else?"

It was easier/makes more sense just not to mention him, the show asks too much of casual viewers already with the number of secondary and tertiary characters it mentions.

Is this man sitting at the back of boat here http://winteriscoming.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Jon-Snow-in-a-boat-Official-HBO.jpgthis hooded man later?

Yes it's just a guy in a hooded cloak. He's sitting in the back and the cloak is very likely hiding a small motor to move the boat or something and he is not the only one on that boat who has a hood on when they're leaving.

Does Tyrion know who Aemon is? I seem to remember it being a reveal to Jon long after Tyrion left. So Tyrion thinks Danny is the last living Targarean because he isn't aware of any secret Targs even though we know of at least one.

Plus, in the context of the talk, Tyrion isn't going to count a Maester or a member of the Blackwatch because both give up their families. Aemon is both. He is no longer a Targarean because he is a Maester.

I think we can safely assume that Tyrion knows his history, and knows who Aemon is. And vice versa, IIRC from s1.

Dany knows she's the last Targaryen, and we know she knows, and Tyrion knows she knows. So why state the obvious?? It doesn't make a lot of sense within their conversation, really.

Except of course to reminding us of dear old Aemon who just happens to have died just last week :ohwell:

I think it has to be something supernatural, so Umbers are out and more "special" than just becoming a wight. I always thought his oath before the Old Gods made him different/more valuable to the Others compared to other men of Night's Watch, but Jon took the same oath and they would've killed him if not for Longclaw...

Well reading the books I always thought BenJen be our eyes to the city of the NK, may still happen I'm good on either situation: but I be sad knowing he's dead or going to die.

ETA: are for our

Edited by Grail King

Yes it's just a guy in a hooded cloak. He's sitting in the back and the cloak is very likely hiding a small motor to move the boat or something and he is not the only one on that boat who has a hood on when they're leaving.

Well dang, that actually makes sense.