[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Maybe I missed it, but did the White Walker Lt. guy stab Jon or just shove the end of his staff into shoulder? And why was there just long stare-down between Jon and The NK? Why wasn't anyone rowing faster?!? :)

Edited by JessicaB923

This is a little off your point, but it occurs to me that the kindly man may very well know that Arya will never become "no one" and is willing to train her anyway, whether because someone paid on her behalf or Jaqen vouched for her or simply because of the Starks having long been anti-slavers or having some other association with Bravos/Faceless men that hasn't been fully elaborated yet, or maybe just because he pities her and/or thinks she could still serve the many-faced god even if she isn't a full fledged FM, or just some other reason. The show could be presenting that as Jaqen, being her friend, doing her a solid by letting her get as much useful training as she can knowing all the while that she will "fail" and never become one of them.

Oh I agree with your point, that is the show's implication. The show definitely positions Jaqen as a friend/mentor, and the Waif as somewhat hostile. But I am just saying the viewers don't really see Arya changing, acquiring those enviable faceless men skills. We saw her learning and growing when she was traveling with the Hound, we saw the experience changing her. With faceless men training, it just doesn't ring true to me. It is kind of schematic. Even when she was scrubbing the floors, she was just moving her hand back and force or in circles, not really cleaning anything.

And I am generally annoyed that they made too many characters too good looking this season. The Waif should be uglier/more damaged. Yazzan (sp?) should be grossly overweight. And don't even get me started on Dorne. Prince Doran Martell is supposed to be sort of ill and decrepit. It is not that I am such a purist that any deviation from the book description irks me; it is that the changes result in loss of individuality, loss of personality. Everybody is young, thin, and good looking. It is a blessing they had to cast Tyrion and Varys early on, before the apparent advent of "beautiful people."

I think it's because, his peers on the show Richard Madden and Alfie Allen are far superior in acting chops to Kit. although, I will admit Kit has improved a bit each season

Completely agree that those 2 get so much hate for no reason whatsoever. And no I don't think it has anything to do with the other actors - I think everyone on this show, or almost everyone has done a brilliant job and I think the writing has been brilliant as well

I am surprised there hasn't been much discussion about the hooded figure on the boat.

Agreed

There is no way that was just random. The Wildlings were in white camo, and the NW was in their black garb.

Why would someone need to hide with a brown cloak over them.

Maybe it is Benjan? Maybe coldhands? maybe it is the Nights King himself?

There has to be something significant about the hooded man (he wasnt moving, wasnt rowing).

This is a little off your point, but it occurs to me that the kindly man may very well know that Arya will never become "no one" and is willing to train her anyway, whether because someone paid on her behalf or Jaqen vouched for her or simply because of the Starks having long been anti-slavers or having some other association with Bravos/Faceless men that hasn't been fully elaborated yet, or maybe just because he pities her and/or thinks she could still serve the many-faced god even if she isn't a full fledged FM, or just some other reason. The show could be presenting that as Jaqen, being her friend, doing her a solid by letting her get as much useful training as she can knowing all the while that she will "fail" and never become one of them.

Excellent theory. I think you're exactly right. She will serve but she will never lose her thirst for revenge. She may tie up some loose ends in KL while the real battle rages in the North.

I think the bag of Dragonglass is still in the hut where they distributed it. I believe you see it behind Jon right before he gets back up from his fall -- after he dropped his sword but grabs the non-VS sword. If you are watching on HBOGo it is at 53:17 (I'm not sure how the timing lines up with whatever format you are watching.) I wasn't even really looking for it but just noticed it when rewatching it. Like most of you, I also was hopeful that Wun Wun grabbed it on his way out but, sad to say, I think it's lost in the hut. I watched that scene three times just now, and I would bet a lot on it being the Dragonglass bag. (Sidenote: I wonder if it was supposed to be foreshadowing that his VS sword would work like Dragonglass because during the scene he always has access to either the Dragonglass or Longclaw.)

(If this has been discussed in the past few hours, sorry. I read all the pages earlier and no one had mentions it. There was so much going on. I don't see how anyone would notice it on the first time through.)

Edited by obsessedwithjon

The reason I'm still interested in the politics of the Iron Throne after last night's episode is because I'm still heavily invested in the characters in the south/east: Tyrion, Danny, Cersei, Jamie, Littlefinger, Varys, etc. Until they all realize the threat of the others is real I am fine with seeing how all their schemes and power plays work out.

The reason I'm still interested in the politics of the Iron Throne after last night's episode is because I'm still heavily invested in the characters in the south/east: Tyrion, Danny, Cersei, Jamie, Littlefinger, Varys, etc. Until they all realize the threat of the others is real I am fine with seeing how all their schemes and power plays work out.

One more reason to pay attention: someone someday just might sic Qyburn on the WW. For him, the dead are just big DIY kits.

Night King: Check it, I raise the dead to fight for me.

Qyburn: Oh, hey, that's cute. No seriously, I'm impressed.

Edited by Perfidious Algernon

Totally random thoughts...

If the Starks really are intimately tied to the WW, maybe Benjen's disappearance wasn't random. Maybe it was time to fulfill his obligation. That could be why he was adamant about Jon not coming with.

Obsidian (dragonglass) is made when lava cools off very quickly. If dragon fire were hot enough to melt rock, then Dany's dragons could theoretically create an endless supply of dragonglass in the super cold WW environment.

I'm sure someone before me has noticed, but Tyrion, Dany, and Jon all "killed" their mothers during childbirth (assuming that R+L=J). Coincidence?

I also wondered about the hooded man, but I never thought it was Benjen. I actually thought that the WW that Jon killed with LC resembled Benjen.