[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Also, Benjen probably is the hooded man. As he will probably follow his storyline from tWoW and CH possibly. Also people have been saying he has been confirmed for the last two episodes so will are probably going to see him deal with the WW with Jon and probably get to know about the Stark's connection to Winter and the WW.

So personally I thought the episode was awesome. The big K-dog is back, dragonsteel confirmed :D

BUT

Most importantly Wun Wun ladies and

gentlemen.......

Wun Wun <3

Is it just me or anyone else here thinks that Bran will probably warg Wun Wun ?

I think the bag of Dragonglass is still in the hut where they distributed it. I believe you see it behind Jon right before he gets back up from his fall -- after he dropped his sword but grabs the non-VS sword. If you are watching on HBOGo it is at 53:17 (I'm not sure how the timing lines up with whatever format you are watching.) I wasn't even really looking for it but just noticed it when rewatching it. Like most of you, I also was hopeful that Wun Wun grabbed it on his way out but, sad to say, I think it's lost in the hut. I watched that scene three times just now, and I would bet a lot on it being the Dragonglass bag. (Sidenote: I wonder if it was supposed to be foreshadowing that his VS sword would work like Dragonglass because during the scene he always has access to either the Dragonglass or Longclaw.)

(If this has been discussed in the past few hours, sorry. I read all the pages earlier and no one had mentions it. There was so much going on. I don't see how anyone would notice it on the first time through.)

I think they were left behind, yeah. But then I also thought Sam just gave him the one blade last week and he ended up having a bag full of them so maybe there's more in CB and there's definately more on dragonstone, Stannis said so. I'm thinking part of why Jon sends Sam away is going to be about getting weapons to fight the WW, meaning Valyrian steel and dragonglass.

Is it just me or anyone else here thinks that Bran will probably warg Wun Wun ?

I think Wu Wu is too smart for that. He doesn't speak a lot because he only knows the Old Tongue, but his linguistic abilities are much higher than Hodor's, who can only say his name. I read that warging Hodor is conceptually more like warging an animal than a human.

Totally random thoughts...

(...)

I'm sure someone before me has noticed, but Tyrion, Dany, and Jon all "killed" their mothers during childbirth (assuming that R+L=J). Coincidence?

Adding more ramdom thoughts....

Those three you mentioned could be the three dragonriders as well. Dany is the more obvious.

Tyrion is an interesting possibility, it was his dream afterall, would be an interesting twist. He is already advising Dany, I wonder if he will do so in the future books as well.

Jon.... hell, Jon could even warg one, I'm pretty sure a lot of people hypothesized as much. Strong warg with Targaryen blood, he might create a bond with dragons even stronger than Dany. Although I wonder about Bran warging the dragon, following Bloodraven's prophecy.

I think the bag of Dragonglass is still in the hut where they distributed it. I believe you see it behind Jon right before he gets back up from his fall -- after he dropped his sword but grabs the non-VS sword. If you are watching on HBOGo it is at 53:17 (I'm not sure how the timing lines up with whatever format you are watching.) I wasn't even really looking for it but just noticed it when rewatching it. Like most of you, I also was hopeful that Wun Wun grabbed it on his way out but, sad to say, I think it's lost in the hut. I watched that scene three times just now, and I would bet a lot on it being the Dragonglass bag. (Sidenote: I wonder if it was supposed to be foreshadowing that his VS sword would work like Dragonglass because during the scene he always has access to either the Dragonglass or Longclaw.)

(If this has been discussed in the past few hours, sorry. I read all the pages earlier and no one had mentions it. There was so much going on. I don't see how anyone would notice it on the first time through.)

The scene where Jon almost stabbed Edd with LC, Jon says the dragon glass bag Edd tells him forget it we got to get out of here, then comes the lemming Wights off the mountain.

Thoughts while watching:

- There is a lot of material from AFfC and ADwD that I really liked: Cersei's batsh*t incompetence; Davos at the Manderlys; the Northern intrigues with Dustin, Manderly, the Freys, Jeyne, and Reek; Bran beyond the Wall; and, most of all, Jon at the Wall. Some of those things I loved were excised, to my disappointment. Up until now, those things that did survive in the show, but in greatly altered forms, IMO fell well short of their book counterpart. With such a track record, I was honestly not looking forward to Jon's visit to Hardhome. But I have to say - while I still miss the ADwD material with Jon and think that it could have made great TV, this change to his story for the show worked very well, and made for an excellent episode.

That said...

- I just can't get into ShowTormund. One of my favourite characters rendered as another overly serious order-barker. No fun at all.

- They probably could have had the giant go back for the dragonglass.

- Moving away from Jon; I liked Tyrion's scenes with Dany, but that "break the wheel" line was just as unimpressive in-context as it was in the trailer.

- Well, the show finally made me feel some sympathy for ShowCersei, but it was dulled heavily by continued disappointment at not getting something closer to BookCersei.

7/10 Dissapointed but still a fan.

Pros

-The drama between Jorah and Dany continues. Well acted, and heart-rending.

-Tyrion has finally met up with Dany. Yay? - more in Cons

-Arya is on the fast-track to being a faceless man. There's some interesting commentary on the ethics of what is, essentially, life insurance for sailors. We get to see Arya taking on a new role, though mostly in a montage-esque form.

-Sansa finds out Bran and Rickon are alive. Maybe Reek(Theon) is beginning to soften and give ground. Perhaps there's hope of him being an eventual ally to Sansa. Sophie manages to get a little more aggressive this time, we actually start to see a little more emotion out of her than the usual slack jaw and parted lips. I say Sophie, because I believe that Sansa - as I know her from the books - would have freaked the fuck out over being handed to Ramsey and raped. Lets hope we see more strength and sharp wit out of Sophie in the future, rather than lines simply recited whilst thinking about her twitter feed.

-Stuff at the wall is moving along. Not how the books went... but it's fine. Nice drama building with Jon's squire.

-Epic fucking battle. I'm only listing this in the pros because it was an epic battle, and amazing. For my take on the implications for the series and the lore, see cons.

Cons

-Tyrion might be drinking more than normal but he hasn't shown the audience just how low his self esteem goes. Oh sure he might complain about his family, but his dignity doesn't really begin to desert him the way it does in the books. I can understand why the showmakers chose not to make their Emmy-winner be a 'circus-freak', but that reeks somewhat of cowardice to me. Tyrion is my favorite character, and following him across the narrow sea in the books was a painful experience for me. I found myself embarassed for him, and ashamed of myself for feeling that way. Ultimately I could only appreciate the stark realism of the depths of shame and self-loathing a person is capable of, and the sense of hope that lingers when we know that a person is fundamentally bigger than their shortcomings or, more importantly, those imposed upon them by society. And what about the wit, the sarcasm? How, in any way, was Tyrion and Dany's meeting satisfying? Tyrion basically recited his and Dany's resumes, and then used the drama between Dany and Jorah as a springboard onto her small council. This was not a confluence of personality, rather than a convenient joining of plot devices - a slightly epic job interview. When Dinklage isn't voicing the words of Martin, his lines fall flat - no offense to PD, DBW, or DB, but Martin IS Tyrion. The strength, the frailty, the self-loathing, the escapism, the brilliance, the facade - it's all Martin. Who can capture that better than GRRM himself. I hope the showmakers and Dinklage figure out the magic formula, as they tread new ground.

-Maisie's failure to breathe life into Arya continues. She's gotten by this far on good writing, coaching, and a solidly thought-out character. What will become of her once there are no more books to consult? I guess we'll see, next episode.

-Epic fucking battle. Too fucking epic. Trying too hard. Too evil dead. Relied too heavily on effects and jarring surprises or transitions. Ultimately didn't do much for the series or lore, except re-emphasize the fact that there's an Army of Dar... dead out there and that dragonglass and valyrian steel can kill white walkers. The Thenn's fight was weak. IMHO the series has gone too far in exposing the audience to the white walkers rather than keeping them as a more subtle element to be brought out in the final chapters of the grand story. They've always been there, since the prologue of book one, but I feel like it's GRRM's intention for the readers to get so caught up in the affairs of the south that they almost forget the impending doom in the north. I would have liked to have seen more of this time used to flesh out Arya's story, even though Maisie's acting makes me grind my teeth.

Overall, I feel like the show is finally venturing out into its own storyline, trying - and failing a bit - to capture the ethos of Martin's world. They still have the gratuitous HBO sex and violence, the political intrigue, and the drama; but it all feels a bit tired and unoriginal suddenly. I feel like the show is beginning to coast in the tracks that it has established over the last five years, and we can look forward to a less-than-satisfying finish with perhaps a couple of almost-predictable and derivative twists and kill-offs.

Well, in the show with such amazing supporting cast, these two who are supposed to be some sort of leads are doing terrible job. I am sorry, but whenever he starts speaking, I am like this or like this.

I honestly think bashing on Emilia and Kit's acting is just a fashionable thing.

Lena either whispers or screams, or says everything through clenched teeth. It's annoying as hell.

Peter and that horrible accent, and the overacting. Just horrible.

Sophie...where to begin...I cringe when Sophie is on screen.

Iwan was absolutely horrible this episode, classic b-grade movie villain, and he is always praised here.

Many other horrible actors on this show.

I honestly think at this point, people don't think their posts about the show are complete unless they bash Kit and Emilia, even when they do well. Kit was excellent this episode, the saving grace at this point.

I honestly think bashing on Emilia and Kit's acting is just a fashionable thing.

Lena either whispers or screams, or says everything through clenched teeth. It's annoying as hell.

Peter and that horrible accent, and the overacting. Just horrible.

Sophie...where to begin...I cringe when Sophie is on screen.

Iwan was absolutely horrible this episode, classic b-grade movie villain, and he is always praised here.

Many other horrible actors on this show.

I honestly think at this point, people don't think their posts about the show are complete unless they bash Kit and Emilia, even when they do well. Kit was excellent this episode, the saving grace at this point.

I also have a lot of problems with Lena's acting too, if it would be easier for you. Peter's acting is like beating the dead horse, we have seen it like 100 times. It is devastatingly bad what material Nikolaj has been given this season. And let me not start about Natalie and her acting.

I would disagree about Sophie, she can be rather great. When it comes to acting, Sophie and Maisie are those I have least objections about (perhaps woth Nikolaj). And Iwan, yeah, but it is also partly due to writing.

That of course doesn't mean that Kit or Emilia are beyond reproach. KIt can't shut his mouth properly and he constipated face is borderline hysterical. His acting in this episode can be just marked as the stain on Hardhome subplot.

Emilia, on the other hand, is different story. I am not convinced that she is that untalented, but I am afraid that she is being pushed into the certain direction when it comes to Daenerys. She had her moments, but her acting this season has been lost.

This episode had the highest rating on imdb ever!!!! More so than even the Rains of Castemere. Personally, I find that very undeserved.

First, the majority of the episode was mediocre (for GoT standards of course, it was way better than most shows). Just okay.

The hardhame scene was brilliantly excecuted, yes, but still, it was a cliche zombie / running skeletons scene. The best one ever, but nevertheless. Lame. Boring (the concept, not the excecution). It never ceases to amaze me how people look at the same show and get different things out of it. I see GoT as an intelligent drama for adults, about psychology, politics, military strategy and also a little bit of mystery / fantasty light. But then there are also the people who think that lady stoneheart is more important than everything else and cannot wait for more white walkers to appear. Really? Are we fans of the same show?

I also have a lot of problems with Lena's acting too, if it would be easier for you. Peter's acting is like beating the dead horse, we have seen it like 100 times. It is devastatingly bad what material Nikolaj has been given this season. And let me not start about Natalie and her acting.

I would disagree about Sophie, she can be rather great. When it comes to acting, Sophie and Maisie are those I have least objections about (perhaps woth Nikolaj). And Iwan, yeah, but it is also partly due to writing.

That of course doesn't mean that Kit or Emilia are beyond reproach. KIt can't shut his mouth properly and he constipated face is borderline hysterical. His acting in this episode can be just marked as the stain on Hardhome subplot.

Emilia, on the other hand, is different story. I am not convinced that she is that untalented, but I am afraid that she is being pushed into the certain direction when it comes to Daenerys. She had her moments, but her acting this season has been lost.

Sophie has two faces: weepy and angry. The problem is that they look the same (sometimes I don't know if she's angry because she's weeping or weeping because she's angry). Her face always looks like she's thinking about something else, especially when someone else is speaking in the scene, she zones out, she doesn't "feed" the actor opposite to her, IMHO. A perfect example is the inn episode where she meets Brienne. (But she always does this, this season has been a steady portrayal of her zoning out sessions). Her eyes are always starring into the distance and her face is wooden, like she's not really in that scene, like something way more interesting is happening just behind the camera or anywhere else on the set. She cries well though, that's the only time I think she concentrates on what's happening in the scene.

The biggest problem I have with the Kit criticism is that it ignores so many other things about the character he is portraying. And I don't think such a big issue can be made of his mouth not closing properly, everyone has their bad habits, I hardly find his the most objectionable. If I complained about mouths, Natalie would be at the top of my list--it doesn't matter what's happening, she's always smirking like she knows some great secret, or being openly deceitful. Lena does a half-smile that also undermines much of what she is conveying. Sophie, again, wooden as hell, and he shoulders are so stiff all the time. They all have their bad habits, Kit's is hardly the most glaring. IMO he does everything else so well, he captures Jon very well.