[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Matthew McCounaghey, for example, didn't really have a great range of facial expressions as Rustin Cohle in True Detective. But he achieved eternity with that performance.

Acting is not just that. Acting is also using your voice, body language, eyes, your delivery of the lines...it's not only the faces you do. Try to act in front of a mirror. You will see that your face doesn't change that much.

Not sure what people are complaining about. Kit's been crushing it this season compared to his last few, if you read any of the major critics out there that's the consensus. Considering the limitation of her dialogue, Emilia as well. If you can't enjoy the bantering of her and Tyrion then you're missing out.

Now regarding facial acting, if you want to see the queen of it, literally, watch Lena's facial expressions in the scene where Tommen is bemoaning Marg. You see a flood of emotions roll through her face over just several seconds. Beautiful stuff.

This episode had the highest rating on imdb ever!!!! More so than even the Rains of Castemere. Personally, I find that very undeserved.

First, the majority of the episode was mediocre (for GoT standards of course, it was way better than most shows). Just okay.

The hardhame scene was brilliantly excecuted, yes, but still, it was a cliche zombie / running skeletons scene. The best one ever, but nevertheless. Lame. Boring (the concept, not the excecution). It never ceases to amaze me how people look at the same show and get different things out of it. I see GoT as an intelligent drama for adults, about psychology, politics, military strategy and also a little bit of mystery / fantasty light. But then there are also the people who think that lady stoneheart is more important than everything else and cannot wait for more white walkers to appear. Really? Are we fans of the same show?

I think the episode has around 14,000 ratings whereas Castemere has over 30,000 ratings so it may go down as more people rate the episode.

this epsiode has high marks because it was very good, and also paid off the viewers with awesome wtfs.

i found episode 1 wanting, and the sand snakes terrible. other than that, damn fine season - has potential to be just as good as the others depending on the last two episodes. considering we know the fate of cersei, jon, and dany, it should end with high marks for epsiodes 9 and 10.

This episode had the highest rating on imdb ever!!!! More so than even the Rains of Castemere. Personally, I find that very undeserved.

First, the majority of the episode was mediocre (for GoT standards of course, it was way better than most shows). Just okay.

The hardhame scene was brilliantly excecuted, yes, but still, it was a cliche zombie / running skeletons scene. The best one ever, but nevertheless. Lame. Boring (the concept, not the excecution). It never ceases to amaze me how people look at the same show and get different things out of it. I see GoT as an intelligent drama for adults, about psychology, politics, military strategy and also a little bit of mystery / fantasty light. But then there are also the people who think that lady stoneheart is more important than everything else and cannot wait for more white walkers to appear. Really? Are we fans of the same show?

If you don't like zombie scenes then you have chosen the wrong series. The prelude to book one chapter one tells you that it is a series about a zombie invasion.

You obviously haven't been paying attention.

The point of asoiaf is that the political elites are busy with their petty squabbles killing millions of people with their invasion of Iraq and the ISIS religious fanatics created as the common people realize the elites couldn't give a damn about them while climate change threatens to destroy the planet.

But don't worry, lots of folk miss the fact that the Hunger Games is an allegory of the Iraq war. They don't even get the point when Collins introduces Gen Coin, aka COIN = Counter Insurgency.

Looks like it was cut, possibly right before the female chief bids her daughters farewell.

Bids some of them farewell.

Those kids look like the four kids the female chief sees that make her give up. I guess D&D decided to let up a little on the dark stuff by showing two of her kids getting to safety but that was surely the point of that bit.

Why are people making such a big deal out of the hooded figure in the boat? Could he/she not just be an extra?

I have no idea why people are suspicious of him. If there is one thing this show does not do it is subtlety, so to think a man with a hood in the background will somehow be important to the scene seems silly to me.

I've said this before....I don't understand why people are expecting the wights to be able to swim. For the most part, they're former free folk and considering the water temperature where they live, I doubt that many of them can swim.

The other possibility is that the NK's intent was more "building his army" than it was chasing the Night's Watch all the way back to the Wall. That battle will come later...

I certainly think he's building his army. I think many expected the battle to to continue into the water given Cotter Pyke's letter to LC Snow in the novels where he says dead things in the water. I half expected a crap load of dead things to rise out of the sea when the NK began to raise his arms. Since I was pretty sure Wights just came back to life without his direct influence but obviously that increased the impact of the scene. One can only begin to imagine what happens if they ever get south of the wall. Our protagonists will be battling the kings of winter and such.

Awesome episode.... Loved T&D verbal sparring. I'm not sure why Jorah looked at his grey scale and Merreen before joinging back with the slaver? I don't like how much they are telegraphing Ollie killing Jon. Loved Arya's scene and where her story is going (hopefully). Now for Hardhome I don't know how anyone can not love this scene. Wun wun mentioned by name and kicking ass. Loved the Jon vs Other scene and Tormund kicking some ass. This was probably mentioned earlier in the post but what does everyone think about Qyburns scene? He was clearly cut off by Cersei when discussing her one option. I don't think he was going to say confess, he was going to suggest a trial by combat. Only he couldn't because Cersei went off and then the septa came in. Clearly we know the march of shame takes place so does that mean a trial by combat is out of the question?

I certainly think he's building his army. I think many expected the battle to to continue into the water given Cotter Pyke's letter to LC Snow in the novels where he says dead things in the water. I half expected a crap load of dead things to rise out of the sea when the NK began to raise his arms. Since I was pretty sure Wights just came back to life without his direct influence but obviously that increased the impact of the scene. One can only begin to imagine what happens if they ever get south of the wall. Our protagonists will be battling the kings of winter and such.

I don't think they could make Hardhome as dire in the show. They wanted to show the action so had to have Jon there. In the books sounds like it was all but hopeless and all were lost.

Further thoughts:

- That "break the wheel" line. It just doesn't work. Partly, that's due to it being needlessly dramatic in a way to try and sell Dany as "hardcore," but the context of the line is that she's going to do for Westeros what she did for the slaves she freed. The situations aren't remotely comparable. Dany might not understand this, but Tyrion does, and the writers should.

- For the first three seasons (well, two-and-a-half), Dany received very good material. But over the past few seasons, she's increasingly become the least interesting thing in what is supposed to be her plotline. Some of that is due to her not having much action to do (not battle-type action, physical business to do in her scenes action), some of that is due to needless sub-plots added in, and some of that is due to her getting bad dialogue. Whatever the cause, however, it's a real problem if one of the main characters is the dullest element at her location.

Further thoughts:

- That "break the wheel" line. It just doesn't work. Partly, that's due to it being needlessly dramatic in a way to try and sell Dany as "hardcore," but the context of the line is that she's going to do for Westeros what she did for the slaves she freed. The situations aren't remotely comparable. Dany might not understand this, but Tyrion does, and the writers should.

- For the first three seasons (well, two-and-a-half), Dany received very good material. But over the past few seasons, she's increasingly become the least interesting thing in what is supposed to be her plotline. Some of that is due to her not having much action to do (not battle-type action, physical business to do in her scenes action), some of that is due to needless sub-plots added in, and some of that is due to her getting bad dialogue. Whatever the cause, however, it's a real problem if one of the main characters is the dullest element at her location.

I wouldn't say that is a show problem. Her arc in Mereen is pretty boring and dull in both books and Show, if you ask me.

Season 3 covered her ASOS arc, and she was pretty good in there, both Emilia (her Emmy nomination was over the top, but she gave a good performance throughout the season) and the writing.

Edited by Ingelheim

Loved the Tyrion and Dany scenes, and I'm now 90% on board with A+J=T theory! I also think this is a spoiler for the upcoming books in the fact that Tyrion will advise her on her invasion of Westeros and eventually introduce her to Jon (3 heads!!)

I'm 100% in on AJT but mostly because of TWOIAF (and the awesome AJT thread leaders in the general book section who helped me see the thematic significance). But I am curious why this meeting made you more into AJT?