[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

I also have a lot of problems with Lena's acting too, if it would be easier for you. Peter's acting is like beating the dead horse, we have seen it like 100 times. It is devastatingly bad what material Nikolaj has been given this season. And let me not start about Natalie and her acting.

I would disagree about Sophie, she can be rather great. When it comes to acting, Sophie and Maisie are those I have least objections about (perhaps woth Nikolaj). And Iwan, yeah, but it is also partly due to writing.

That of course doesn't mean that Kit or Emilia are beyond reproach. KIt can't shut his mouth properly and he constipated face is borderline hysterical. His acting in this episode can be just marked as the stain on Hardhome subplot.

Emilia, on the other hand, is different story. I am not convinced that she is that untalented, but I am afraid that she is being pushed into the certain direction when it comes to Daenerys. She had her moments, but her acting this season has been lost.

They are acting rather well, all of them are playing there parts as well as they possibly can, just because some people don't like what they are having to say, or how the character is being portrayed does not mean the actors are doing a bad job, I find all of them really convincing

They are acting rather well, all of them are playing there parts as well as they possibly can, just because some people don't like what they are having to say, or how the character is being portrayed does not mean the actors are doing a bad job, I find all of them really convincing

I know they are doing their job the best way they can, but sometimes it is not working. There are great moments, and there are bad moments. Just like basically any TV show out there.

Agreed! Cheers

Well at a meeting between audience and the stars a question was brought up, something about what Kit would like to see in his story line and he said I like to be a warg and one of the D's said season 6, in season 6, so I don't think they are removing that cliff hanger also episode 10 is suppose to break the Internet from one of the actors words.

Yeah I read that too, but does Kit Harington really have that much influence on D&D? Being the only actor to actually read the books, I have a feeling you might be right. But, technically he's already a warg. He's been warging ghost for quite a while now. But, I know you mean like what happened to Six Skins. I could see them spin the Jon cliffhanger either way though. Those guys aren't afraid to change anything it seems.

Did you happen to see my post about Sansa just a couple posts before this one? I'm curious what you think... With your avatar and all

Kit still can't close his mouth lol.

...except that he does.

And I don't think he's "killing it" at all, but he still has improved. Mostly because he's using a deeper Batman voice.

LMAO, what? That's the way he talks, and it's nothing like the fake gravelly voice that Christian Bale uses.

I've found nothing at all to criticize in his acting this season (unlike seasons past), and he's had some of the best scenes in the past two seasons and lived up to them. That's killing it.

Edited by sj4iy

Apologies if this has already been addressed but I'm shocked I haven't seen anyone else intrigued by Sansa's alternate storyline...

Let me explain... Ok so, we all know where ADWD left off with her. But, what if she ends up in WF in the books after all. GRRM has recently commented about the contrasts from book to show, but I believe this to be BS. He doesn't want to give away any unnecessary spoilers for TWOW and I compare this to his recent statements about Smaug being deadlier than HIS dragons. Again, I call BS. Example: Drogon-fighting pits-nuff said...

Anyhow, I reference the prophecies of The Ghost of High Heart.

And I ask all of you... Who's a bigger SAVAGE GIANT (GIANT SAVAGE) than Ramsay Bolton?

GRRM also stated in his recent Not A Blog posting that sometimes butterflies grow into dragons... Was he speaking in code?

Will Sansa kill the bastard of bolton?

During winter I think WF is a pretty good candidate for a "Castle made of snow"

I believe she will be in WF, I always believe she is the person to restore house Stark and be the magnet that brings her siblings together.

As far as the GOHH, I still believe it's Baleish the Titan of Bravos and burner of the realm.

I think Theon or Roose will do in Ramsey.

But just as the books are GRRM story, the TV version is tied to D & D and things could change.

I wouldn't say that is a show problem. Her arc in Mereen is pretty boring and dull in both books and Show, if you ask me.

Season 3 covered her ASOS arc, and she was pretty good in there, both Emilia (her Emmy nomination was over the top, but she gave a good performance throughout the season) and the writing.

This

I laugh when people criticize Kit Harrington for his 'wooden performance' and showing 'no emotional range.' He is playing Jon Snow who is one of the most introvert characters in the books! You know, the same Jon Snow with a face that 'gives nothing away.' He is playing Jon Snow well.

Some of Emilia Clarke's best acting was in season 1 when she was playing vulnerable Dany so she is certainly capable of sowing that side of Dany but the show are trying too hard to make Dany badass and regal. I would criticize the writing, not the actress.

Edited by ~DarkHorse~

This episode had the highest rating on imdb ever!!!! More so than even the Rains of Castemere. Personally, I find that very undeserved.

First, the majority of the episode was mediocre (for GoT standards of course, it was way better than most shows). Just okay.

The hardhame scene was brilliantly excecuted, yes, but still, it was a cliche zombie / running skeletons scene. The best one ever, but nevertheless. Lame. Boring (the concept, not the excecution). It never ceases to amaze me how people look at the same show and get different things out of it. I see GoT as an intelligent drama for adults, about psychology, politics, military strategy and also a little bit of mystery / fantasty light. But then there are also the people who think that lady stoneheart is more important than everything else and cannot wait for more white walkers to appear. Really? Are we fans of the same show?

Can't agree more

I laugh when people criticize Kit Harrington for his 'wooden performance' and showing 'no emotional range.' He is playing Jon Snow who is one of the most introvert characters in the books! You know, the same Jon Snow with a face that 'gives nothing away.' He is playing Jon Snow well.

Some of Emilia Clarke's best acting was in season 1 when she was playing vulnerable Dany so she is certainly capable of sowing that side of Dany but the show are trying too hard to make Dany badass and regal. I would criticize the writing, not the actress.

:agree: "Break the Wheel" was awful. When she stood up to start talking I cringed. I don't blame Emilia. It just all rings false to me.

I believe she will be in WF, I always believe she is the person to restore house Stark and be the magnet that brings her siblings together.

As far as the GOHH, I still believe it's Baleish the Titan of Bravos and burner of the realm.

I think Theon or Roose will do in Ramsey.

But just as the books are GRRM story, the TV version is tied to D & D and things could change.

Except it is all but confirmed that Rickon will be the first Stark to return to Winterfell (at least physically :)).

He will be Stannis' public figure to bind the North to his cause. George promised us that Stannis is one of the lies Dany is supposed to slay; so, he should empower Stannis enough so that he could be a challenge to Dany when she comes. The only way to do that is to give him the North and that Manderly Fleet in the making.

Except it is all but confirmed that Rickon will be the first Stark to return to Winterfell (at least physically :)).

He will be Stannis' public figure to bind the North to his cause. George promised us that Stannis is one of the lies Dany is supposed to slay; so, he should empower Stannis enough so that he could be a challenge to Dany when she comes. The only way to do that is to give him the North and that Manderly Fleet in the making.

I know the hints are there, but I'm not totally sure Rickon may even live.

I think Bran may return, I don't believe he has to stay in that cave.

I know the hints are there, but I'm not totally sure Rickon may even live.

I think Bran may return, I don't believe he has to stay in that cave.

Umm... kind of difficult for him to leave now he is a tree.

He will be leaving the cave in spirit form only through the trees.

dany says in the book that she doesn't worry about getting the pale mare because Targaryens are immune to sicknesses of the common folk. If tyrion didn't get greyscale from Jorah, that would add a lot of fuel to the AJT fire.

That wasn't to show you that Targaryens are immune to sickness but that Dany has huge education problems. She doesn't even know the history of her own family. You can't really blame her for that, she was raised by Viserys. Plenty of Targaryens died from sickness, the most famous examples being king Daeron II and the princes Valarr and Matarys

I also have a lot of problems with Lena's acting too, if it would be easier for you. Peter's acting is like beating the dead horse, we have seen it like 100 times. It is devastatingly bad what material Nikolaj has been given this season. And let me not start about Natalie and her acting.

I would disagree about Sophie, she can be rather great. When it comes to acting, Sophie and Maisie are those I have least objections about (perhaps woth Nikolaj). And Iwan, yeah, but it is also partly due to writing.

That of course doesn't mean that Kit or Emilia are beyond reproach. KIt can't shut his mouth properly and he constipated face is borderline hysterical. His acting in this episode can be just marked as the stain on Hardhome subplot.

Emilia, on the other hand, is different story. I am not convinced that she is that untalented, but I am afraid that she is being pushed into the certain direction when it comes to Daenerys. She had her moments, but her acting this season has been lost.

Why don't you just go to the IMDB Game Of Thrones character sheet, copy it here and crap all over every single name written there, especially the ones that tend to garner positive criticism? Maybe there were still some people here that didn't know how much you are filled with hate towards every aspect of the show, and you could show that with some well needed bile?

Edited by jacksonbrowne

Why don't you just go to the IMDB Game Of Thrones character sheet, copy it here and crap all over every single name written there, especially the ones that tend to garner positive criticism? Maybe there were still some people here that didn't know how much you are filled with hate towards every aspect of the show, and you could show that with some well needed bile?

LOL... I will leave that business to you.

I start to wonder when did criticism of "Game of Thrones" of any sort became personal insult to some people.

LOL... I will leave that business to you.

I start to wonder when did criticism of "Game of Thrones" of any sort became personal insult to some people.

I start to wonder when did a set of books become a sort of religious obsession to some people to an extent that it's adaption incites such a level of hatred towards everything in it that some people find time to list every single aspect of said adaption with remarks of just what and how much they happen to hate it. Be it writing, be it directing, be it costumes, be it music, be it lead or secondary character acting, be it differences to the gospels OR similarities to the gospels. EVERYTHING annoys them. It's as the very existence of said adaption is a personal insult to those people.

Edited by jacksonbrowne

I start to wonder when did a set of books become a sort of religious obsession to some people to an extent that it's adaption incites such a level of hatred towards everything in it that some people find time to list every single aspect of said adaption with remarks of just what and how much they happen to hate it. Be it writing, be it directing, be it costumes, be it music, be it lead or secondary character acting, be it differences to the gospels OR similarities to the gospels. EVERYTHING annoys them. It's as the very existence of said adaption is a personal insult to those people.

I agree ... This forum is mostly used to endlessly bash the show. People are incredibly protective of his holiness GRRM and stop at nothing to bring down D&D. They add no meaningful discussion, just constant bitching. From the perspective of someone who only posts occasionally, all the energy spent on hating is pathetic.

I agree ... This forum is mostly used to endlessly bash the show. People are incredibly protective of his holiness GRRM and stop at nothing to bring down D&D. They add no meaningful discussion, just constant bitching. From the perspective of someone who only posts occasionally, all the energy spent on hating is pathetic.

This.