[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

Just tough to give them the benefit of the doubt with their 'creative' additions featuring rape, mindless sexual cliches, and rape

LMAO yeah, because there was no rape in the novels.

The ASOIAF series is set in a brutal, primitive world. Brutal, primitive people rape. I'm sick of people using modern standards of ethics and behavior to compare to what happens in a fictional world where violence and brutality are rewarded.

Very impressed, this show has lost me as a whole, but this episode was on point, everything at Hardhome was done well.

I really can't majorly fault this episode,

Only nitpicks are the Reek/Sansa convo humanized Reek into Theon too much and the Tyrion/Dany convo was good but kind of repetitive.

Other than that, I would probably give this ep a perfect score.

This show obviously has not lost you as a whole, because you're still watching every episode

I quite liked this episode (not as much as a lot of people) but I also considered the whole 'water' issue. I thought it connected in future maybe to;

Melisandre's speech of the 'Stars will freeze. The cold breath of winter will freeze the seas and the dead shall rise.' when burning the seven during S2Ep1(?)

Also, the allusion to the four horsemen of the apocalypse was pretty cool when the WW were atop the mountain.

Edited by breakthewheel

LMAO yeah, because there was no rape in the novels.

The ASOIAF series is set in a brutal, primitive world. Brutal, primitive people rape. I'm sick of people using modern standards of ethics and behavior to compare to what happens in a fictional world where violence and brutality are rewarded.

Preach it! :bowdown:

This was probably mentioned earlier in the post but what does everyone think about Qyburns scene? He was clearly cut off by Cersei when discussing her one option. I don't think he was going to say confess, he was going to suggest a trial by combat. Only he couldn't because Cersei went off and then the septa came in. Clearly we know the march of shame takes place so does that mean a trial by combat is out of the question?

I thought Qyburn was perhaps going to suggest she kill herself...

I believe she will be in WF, I always believe she is the person to restore house Stark and be the magnet that brings her siblings together.

As far as the GOHH, I still believe it's Baleish the Titan of Bravos and burner of the realm.

I think Theon or Roose will do in Ramsey.

But just as the books are GRRM story, the TV version is tied to D & D and things could change.

Lol, just when I thought I had it figured out. I can't believe I forgot about the real sigil of House Baelish. The head of the titan. Thank you

I think he was going to suggest a combo, exactly what happened in the books. She confesses to some stuff, and so gets the walk and more privileges....but is still to have trial on the other stuff...which is where we get the mountain who will probably have a head in the show, LOL.

I didn't see it mentioned, and I made a topic but it hasn't been approved yet so I'll ask here.

When Tyrion is talking about their terrible fathers and telling Danny she has no living blood to support her, he also mentions and the Starks are gone; thanks to their terrible fathers was he telling her the Starks could have been allies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu50r2fDXhc

I thought this was pretty funny and that people would enjoy it. A nice Jon Snow vs White Walker video with a Nike commercial twist at the end.

:lol:

Although I will say that their opening 'credit' for their channel was wildly confusing and doesn't fit. I was like "Why on earth are they playing Utada Hikaru for this??"

I didn't see it mentioned, and I made a topic but it hasn't been approved yet so I'll ask here.

When Tyrion is talking about their terrible fathers and telling Danny she has no living blood to support her, he also mentions and the Starks are gone; thanks to their terrible fathers was he telling her the Starks could have been allies?

I wondered at that myself. When Dany stated that she knew what her father did, I was waiting for Tyrion to bring up how Rickard and Brandon Stark died...alas; maybe in a future conversation? He's a walking Westeros textbook, and she's been sheltered from the brutal truth of her father's actions. I'm still crossing my fingers that they'll have a Great House/Robert's Rebellion history lesson soon.

I wondered at that myself. When Dany stated that she knew what her father did, I was waiting for Tyrion to bring up how Rickard and Brandon Stark died...alas; maybe in a future conversation? He's a walking Westeros textbook, and she's been sheltered from the brutal truth of her father's actions. I'm still crossing my fingers that they'll have a Great House/Robert's Rebellion history lesson soon.

Yeah, she knows generalities...she doesn't know specifics yet. I hope Tyrion educates her on that at some point.

Wonder if he'll figure out who Jon is in the process?

Yeah, she knows generalities...she doesn't know specifics yet. I hope Tyrion educates her on that at some point.

Wonder if he'll figure out who Jon is in the process?

xD

Posters like yourself make me love this site....we share the same dream, apparently.

I think he was just listing off a bunch of the major houses.

Likely, because if Dany was dead set on destroying the current Lannister regime, the Starks would have sided with her. Especially if she demonstrated that she is nothing like Aerys. (it would have been difficult for her to do, but not impossible.) I also feel like its supposed to foreshadow a possible reasoning between the remaining Starks and Dany.

I think he was just listing off a bunch of the major houses.

Why say it the way he did?

He could have said all the houses rebelled against the Throne because your father killed Rickard and Brandon and "dishonored" Lyanna, and kept his family out of it, but he implies his family is at fault for the current Stark losses.

Also Selmy never told her that Ned tried to protect her by trying to stop the assassination, orwhat her father actually did to House Stark.

There is something being implied in what Tyrion says but, Danny did not follow up with a question.

Likely, because if Dany was dead set on destroying the current Lannister regime, the Starks would have sided with her. Especially if she demonstrated that she is nothing like Aerys. (it would have been difficult for her to do, but not impossible.) I also feel like its supposed to foreshadow a possible reasoning between the remaining Starks and Dany.

And not only that (not to put too fine a point on it) but Dany has a clutch of Dragons on her side... not having Winterfell melted by dragonfire might be a motivation as well.

Why say it the way he did?

He could have said all the houses rebelled against the Throne because your father killed Rickard and Brandon and "dishonored" Lyanna, and kept his family out of it, but he implies his family is at fault for the current Stark losses.

Also Selmy never told her that Ned tried to protect her by trying to stop the assassination, orwhat her father actually did to House Stark.

There is something being implied in what Tyrion says but, Danny did not follow up with a question.

I think there's mostly liikely a number of things at play here. Tyrion's been the family "joke" his whoile like, his sister wants him dead, his father wanted him dead, etc etc etc. The Lannisters and Starks have "history". He has publicly stated (on more than one occassion) that Ned Stark was an honourable man, and IMO most likely admired him to some degree. By framing what he says to Dany in such a way, he can satisfy his dislike for his own family and his (possible) respect for Starks all in one go.