[Book Spoilers] EP508 Discussion

Ran

To support what JCRB said earlier, in case you're not clear about the specific roles of these threads:

R&R: Only negative criticism of the show allowed. No debate.

Positive nitpicking: Only positive stuff about the show. No debate.

Episode Discussion (this thread): debate, positive, negative, everything goes, as long as it's respectful of the general rules of behavior in the forums.

So, as you see, you can't "confine us" to the R&R threads. That's childish.

Edited by Nadaplete

To support what JCRB said earlier, in case you're not clear about the specific roles of these threads:

R&R: Only negative criticism of the show allowed. No debate.

Positive nitpicking: Only positive stuff about the show. No debate.

Episode Discussion (this thread): debate, positive, negative, everything goes, as long as it's respectful of the general rules of behavior in the forums.

So, as you see, you can't "confine us" to the R&R threads. That's childish.

To repeat what I said earlier: the creators of the show and all involved deserve a certain level of respect. Calling D&D "Dickhead and Dumbass" shouldn't be allowed. That's childish. The hatred in R&R boils over into other threads and it just becomes tiring.

To repeat what I said earlier: the creators of the show and all involved deserve a certain level of respect. Calling D&D "Dickhead and Dumbass" shouldn't be allowed. That's childish. The hatred in R&R boils over into other threads and it just becomes tiring.

Well I suppose compared to that calling them simply assholes is all good.

The name-calling to D&D has, for the most part, stopped, by direction from the moderators. So that excuse is void. Find another.

Not to mention that everyone disrespects GRRM in every thread about the show like it's nothing.

Its not about no negative comments, its about her saying "I havent watched the episode, but its bad"

If you haven't watched the entire episode, but only selected scenes (especially the Hardhome segment that took about half of the footage), I don't see why you can't discuss those. Each storyline is for the most part independent from one another.

I am sorry but the R&R thread has turned into a joke. There are legitimate criticsms of the show to be found in there for sure but unfortunately it is drowned out by post after post of juvenile nonsense that has completerly taken over the thread.

If you haven't watched the entire episode, but only selected scenes (especially the Hardhome segment that took about half of the footage), I don't see why you can't discuss those. Each storyline is for the most part independent from one another.

Because it's not the whole picture.

You can't say "the story doesn't make sense" when you don't watch the whole story. That's like me reading every 5th chapter in AGOT and saying "God, nothing here is making any sense at all!" Nor would I have the right to say "this is the best story ever!"

It's not about giving a negative or positive review...it's about giving any review whatsoever without all of the information.

If you watch the entire episode and feel the need to rip it to shreds, then do so. But don't expect others to take your opinion seriously if you watch only a few minutes of something before ripping it to shreds. There's a reason I don't comment on forums for Supernatural- and it's because I only ever watched a few minutes of it. It wouldn't exactly be fruitful to start going on that forum every week after watching only a few minutes of the episode and declaring it crap, because people wouldn't really take me seriously if I did.

The name-calling to D&D has, for the most part, stopped, by direction from the moderators. So that excuse is void. Find another.

Not to mention that everyone disrespects GRRM in every thread about the show like it's nothing.

"For the most part"

I wasn't just talking about the name calling which is why I brought up the lack of respect in general.

It's not the same. The scene comes as a climax to the episode as a whole, as a turning point in the battle with the white walkers and the wildlings.

You can talk set design, dialogue, costumes but you cant properly critique a scene without having watched the entire episode. That's why critics watch a whole movie or TV show then they go back and analyze sequences and scenes independently.

"For the most part"

I wasn't just talking about the name calling which is why I brought up the lack of respect in general.

It's not the same. The scene comes as a climax to the episode as a whole, as a turning point in the battle with the white walkers and the wildlings.

You can talk set design, dialogue, costumes but you cant properly critique a scene without having watched the entire episode. That's why critics watch a whole movie or TV show then they go back and analyze sequences and scenes independently.

Let's just say that we agree to disagree on the subject of the "holistic" nature of GoT episodes. Not my business anyway, because i watched the entire thing.

As for "respect". I guess there has to be a limit to personal disrespect, forum civility and all that, but i don't respect D&D as showrunners. Why must I? Again, JCRB articulated it better. A lot of people here don't respect GRRM as a writer as well, so there's that.

Edited by Nadaplete

Respect is earned. Or not, as the case may be.

But civility should be a given. Calling out D&D for including something in the show or deleting an important scene is appropriate, calling them "assholes, "Dickhead and Dumbass" is not.

"Again, JCRB articulated it better. A lot of people here don't respect GRRM as a writer as well, so there's that."

And when you voice your disapproval based on flaws in his works that is appropriate, calling him names (or D&D names) is simply not.

I guess calling them assholes doesn't really count.

Disrespects? Funniest expression of the day. Where is he disrespected and how (some quotes would be nice). Also why does GRRM command respect while insulting D&D is fair game?

Disrespects? Funniest expression of the day. Where is he disrespected and how (some quotes would be nice). Also why does GRRM command respect while insulting D&D is fair game?

I told you, D&D are not your parents. Calm down.

There. That's all I'm saying. End of discussion.

My point was that you can't use that as an excuse, because the "Dumb & Dumber" comments have nearly stopped altogether, because the moderators told us to. You'll have to find another excuse to censor us, "nerdish bitter book snobs".

But civility should be a given. Calling out D&D for including something in the show or deleting an important scene is appropriate, calling them "assholes, "Dickhead and Dumbass" is not.

Civility entails not insulting your interlocutor or those he holds dear. Are you David Benioff? A close friend? A family member?

Would you give a shit if I said I think Kim Kardashian isn't the brightest bulb?

My point was that you can't use that as an excuse, because the "Dumb & Dumber" comments have nearly stopped altogether, because the moderators told us to. You'll have to find another excuse to censor us, "nerdish bitter book snobs".

Well I guess insulting me is fair game too.

Good to know they are not called "Dumb & Dumber" anymore, no matter how much it hurts that they can be only called "assholes" now.

This

She does not know about the Starks except for the lies or misinformation her brother told her, she doesn't know how Ned broke with Robert due to the deaths of Rhaegars children, she doesn't know the story of Lyanna and Rheagar, she desn't know about Ned breaking with Robert a second time about the hit on her and how he tried to protect her, Selmy started but was rebuffed by her, she has allies in the Starks, but she only sees enemies in her mind.

Thank you for bringing Selmy up...I was trying to find an example of why she needs Tyrion to tell her the complete truth of what went down before she was born, and that is a perfect one.

Tyrion won't hold the same reverence as Selmy or Jorah did towards her. He'll be far more blunt.

She's going to be heading back to a Westeros that will be changing its view on rulers. Cersei is going completely insane. If Stannis does get to King's Landing, Selyse as queen will be on the crazy train herself. She's not going to be able to walk through the gates and be greeted as Savior.

I agree with the main point--lack of subtlety in writing this season, female characters reduced to certain stereotypes, etc. You put it very well, thanks for your posts. But how can you say Arya is reduced to a stereotype, and claim Braavos storyline is working in the same paragraph???

Because, it is not travesty. It is not lowering your IQ, and it has some sort of structure. They didn't go deep with the whole Arya/Fm transformation on psychological basis and there are some things to complain about, but overall, even with cliche version of Arya, the Braavos story is being better than 4 out of 6 storylines this season.

I also remind you all that in this board, the fact two characters from the books just look at each other is reason enough to start one and hundred debates about it. People in this board nitpick EVERYTHING. We all do. So, if anyone here feels somehow... shocked by the fact the readers do this with the show, well... we're that kind of people, why you expect any better? :dunno:

This reminds me on Alphas episode on The Big Bang Theory, when Leonard says "if they didn't want angry nerds to complain to them, they shouldn't have started the SciFi channel". Same thing here. If they thought they will be blindly praised and that their original audience, the one they counted at the very beginning, is not going to nitpick each one of those details, they must have been rather naive...